Werthead

Babylon 5

24 posts in this topic

Well JMS's Sense8 project has been cancelled, maybe he'll consider pushing a new B5 story of some kind with Netflix. 

I agree though that it would be in his best interest to get B5 on Netflix/streaming, rights or no rights.  DS9 and Star Trek/etc have HUGE ratings on Netflix, I remember a couple years ago when I was campaigning to get the Star Trek 4 TV series added to the Canadian Netflix library (back during the big VPN crackdown, US Netflix had the 4 TV series, but not Canada), Netflix told me themselves that TNG and DS9 were 2 of the higher used programs in their catalogue.  B5 would be similar I'll wager.  It would show Netflix that there is interest in the stories, characters, and creators still.

It's been 25 years since Babylon 5 aired,  and he's in his sixties.  So, right now, he's got total control over nothing.  

Does J. Michael Straczynski retain all the rights to the monetizing of B-5 himself?  If this is so, it could explain why it's not available from a large streaming service with a blanket fee like netflix.

No. The TV show is the property of Warner Brothers and they control monetizing it. Apparently Netflix wouldn't keep paying them what they wanted, so it's instead moved to something called Go90.

Straczynski retains the theatrical film rights to the franchise, however.

2 hours ago, Werthead said:

No. The TV show is the property of Warner Brothers and they control monetizing it. Apparently Netflix wouldn't keep paying them what they wanted, so it's instead moved to something called Go90.

Straczynski retains the theatrical film rights to the franchise, however.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Sense8  evidently didn't do that well for netflix?

Went to Go90.  Other than B-5 there's nothing there I would ever watch, and I can watch, yet again, B-5 on dvds from netflix.  It would be nice if it streamed on netflix too, but there ya go, which is why I keep the dvd services as well as the streaming service.

Edited by Zorral