U.S. Politics Inaguration Sensation: Be Prepared

Sivin

8 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Stop and think about what you are saying.  Helping people exercise there most fundamental right as Citizens of the US is morally equivalent to you (or close enough to be "the same") as stripping other Citizens of that same most fundamental right?

Really.  How does mere "motivation" for a legal action and an illegal action make the two actions "the same"?

Who gets stripped? I for one happen to think there isnt a race that's inferior to others at obtaining a basic ID. 

And if this is the best you can come up with to combat racism them you are not morally superior in any noteworthy way imo. The best it can be described as is throwing a bone.

http://thehill.com/policy/finance/314991-trump-team-prepares-dramatic-cuts

Staffers for the Trump transition team have been meeting with career staff at the White House ahead of Friday’s presidential inauguration to outline their plans for shrinking the federal bureaucracy, The Hill has learned.

The departments of Commerce and Energy would see major reductions in funding, with programs under their jurisdiction either being eliminated or transferred to other agencies. The departments of Transportation, Justice and State would see significant cuts and program eliminations.

The Corporation for Public Broadcasting would be privatized, while the National Endowment for the Arts and National Endowment for the Humanities would be eliminated entirely.

Overall, the blueprint being used by Trump’s team would reduce federal spending by $10.5 trillion over 10 years.

-skip-

The Heritage blueprint used as a basis for Trump’s proposed cuts calls for eliminating several programs that conservatives label corporate welfare programs: the Minority Business Development Agency, the Economic Development Administration, the International Trade Administration and the Manufacturing Extension Partnership. The total savings from cutting these four programs would amount to nearly $900 million in 2017.

At the Department of Justice, the blueprint calls for eliminating the Office of Community Oriented Policing Services, Violence Against Women Grants and the Legal Services Corporation and for reducing funding for its Civil Rights and its Environment and Natural Resources divisions.

At the Department of Energy, it would roll back funding for nuclear physics and advanced scientific computing research to 2008 levels, eliminate the Office of Electricity, eliminate the Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy and scrap the Office of Fossil Energy, which focuses on technologies to reduce carbon dioxide emissions.

Under the State Department’s jurisdiction, funding for the Overseas Private Investment Corporation, the Paris Climate Change Agreement and the United Nations’ Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change are candidates for elimination.

The parties aren't the same. Fuck off.

31 minutes ago, Week said:

Comparing ... conventions, campaigns, presidential transitions, cabinets ... and finding only minor differences. Wondrous. To be clear, there was no bragging in the discussion of voter suppression or pretty much any part of the discussion. Bragging about good vs evil or racism vs anti-racism is a strawman that you have so obliterated beyond death (and already not alive - it never was) that the strawman has been broken down to the atomic level.

You describe a land of make-believe where the only meaningful difference between two groups is a binary good or evil. That is not the world we live in or than 

You are clearly not paying attention.

What you've done here is created your own argument and accusing me of strawmanning because I'm not going along with your argument.

My point from the very start is that it's silly IMO to claim morality based on who you vote for. To claim your team has all the morality while the other team has all the evil, racism, bigotry, whatever you want to call it. And it has not changed.

If you are saying that no one made these claims you are wrong.

11 minutes ago, DunderMifflin said:

Who gets stripped? I for one happen to think there isnt a race that's inferior to others at obtaining a basic ID. 

And if this is the best you can come up with to combat racism them you are not morally superior in any noteworthy way imo. The best it can be described as is throwing a bone.

DM,

You are limiting your analysis to the racial aspect of these two actions.  The actions have impact well beyond that one you are focusing upon that is quite narrow in scope.  Pretending other impacts don't exist is a poor way to make your point.

8 minutes ago, Fez said:

Agreed.

He also wants to privatize PBS and eliminate the National Endowment for the Arts as well as the National Endowment for the Humanities. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2017/01/19/trump-reportedly-wants-to-cut-cultural-programs-that-make-up-0-02-percent-of-federal-spending/?utm_term=.95d1594555c4#comments

I'm guessing that instead of PBS we'll have Russia Today.

3 hours ago, The Brandon Stark said:

All you need to do is look at all the Democrat-controlled cities around the Nation and tell me if they are better off right now. Chicago, Detroit, Baltimore, NYC, DC...the five highest crime rates are cities that Dems control. The five highest poverty levels are in Dem controlled cities.

But isn't it expected that poor (and rough) areas would vote for democrats, and the richest for republicans? Maybe the implication arrow is not in the direction you think, at least not always?

Just now, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

DM,

You are limiting your analysis to the racial aspect of these to actions.  The actions have impact well beyond that one you are focusing upon that is quite narrow in scope.  Pretending other impacts don't exist is a poor way to make your point.

Voter suppression was brought up to back up the claim that Republicans are racist and Democrats are not. That's what the discussion is about. The discussion has derailed into completely being about voter suppression but I don't think that's totally my fault.

Just now, DunderMifflin said:

Voter suppression was brought up to back up the claim that Republicans are racist and Democrats are not. That's what the discussion is about. The discussion has derailed into completely being about voter suppression but I don't think that's totally my fault.

Look, the people who are suppressed and disenfranchised at the voting booth are minorities. That's just a fact. 

1 minute ago, DunderMifflin said:

That claim was never made by anyone other than yourself.

I'm done. Good day.

3 minutes ago, Crazy Cat Lady in Training said:

Agreed.

He also wants to privatize PBS and eliminate the National Endowment for the Arts as well as the National Endowment for the Humanities. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2017/01/19/trump-reportedly-wants-to-cut-cultural-programs-that-make-up-0-02-percent-of-federal-spending/?utm_term=.95d1594555c4#comments

The funding cuts under discussion are completely absurd - meanwhile, let's expand the military!

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2017/01/report-trump-team-preparing-usd10-trillion-in-budget-cuts.html

1 minute ago, Crazy Cat Lady in Training said:

Look, the people who are suppressed and disenfranchised at the voting booth are minorities. That's just a fact. 

Voter ID, early voting, under-staffing polling places, closing polling places, etc. etc. The Voting Rights Act was predominantly by Northern Democrats aimed at the South. (I know you know - I'm just done engaging with DM)

Are democrats in the north 100% anti-racist? No, some are absolutely racist.
Are they less racist than the Red South that was curtailing voting rights via Jim Crow era laws, etc.? Yes.

So let's dissect that argument.

Voter suppression laws hit predominantly minorities (who happen to vote Democrats). So you can see how that argument came to life. Though, I don't believe the GOP's motivation was racist, the racist outcome was more a side-effect. Their motivation was/is to stay in power. If that requires less black fellas to vote, so be it.

On the other hand we have the Democrats, who try broaden voter registration. You know, Democracy is kinda dependent on people participating (or at the very least cast their vote). So Democrats are racist, because they want more people to vote?

Yeah, sounds legit.

Just now, Crazy Cat Lady in Training said:

Yep. They'll be stupid enough to cut NASA, just you wait and see. 

Again, since the Donald is so big into conspiracy theories. Just lean back and wait for his tweets about the fake moon landing cheating the American tax payers out of their money. And the unbelievable finding about Area 56.

1 minute ago, Notone said:

So let's dissect that argument.

Voter suppression laws hit predominantly minorities (who happen to vote Democrats). So you can see how that argument came to life. Though, I don't believe the GOP's motivation was racist, the racist outcome was more a side-effect. Their motivation was/is to stay in power. If that requires less black fellas to vote, so be it.

On the other hand we have the Democrats, who try broaden voter registration. You know, Democracy is kinda dependent on people participating (or at the very least cast their vote). So Democrats are racist, because they want more people to vote?

Yeah, sounds legit.

No correlation there just sheer coincidence. Democrats would totally be doing the same thing even if it didn't translate to more votes for them.

Yeh, sounds legit.

Archived