U.S. Politics Inaguration Sensation: Be Prepared

Sivin

3 minutes ago, DunderMifflin said:

I'm not asking for anything there.

it was my response and it was clearly labeled as adult one.

"In all fairness to me, I am just saying I am the only adult here, and doing racist things and not doing racist things are the same thing, so no one can say that doing racist things is racist!" - DunderMifflinBot3000

1 hour ago, Week said:

Voter ID, early voting, under-staffing polling places, closing polling places, etc. etc. The Voting Rights Act was predominantly by Northern Democrats aimed at the South. (I know you know - I'm just done engaging with DM)

Are democrats in the north 100% anti-racist? No, some are absolutely racist.
Are they less racist than the Red South that was curtailing voting rights via Jim Crow era laws, etc.? Yes.

The Southern Dems (the Dixiecrats) refused to go along with it and became Republicans. 

Of course some Dems are racist. I don't recall anyone saying differently. But as a group, the Democrats are far and away more willing to protect the rights of all minorities. That's why minorities vote for them. 

1 hour ago, Notone said:

Again, since the Donald is so big into conspiracy theories. Just lean back and wait for his tweets about the fake moon landing cheating the American tax payers out of their money. And the unbelievable finding about Area 56.

Ser Scot already gave me nightmares about the Flat Earth Society. Don't you go making it any worse! :D 

Oh wait, there's the Face on Mars and alien cities on the Moon. Mustn't forget those!

In all seriousness, though, his anti-vaccine stance is frightening. I've spent my career in public health and with a simple Tweet he's ensured that kids die from vaccine preventable illness when they don't have to, all based on lies and misinformation. 

1 hour ago, TheKitttenGuard said:

If Caitlyn does not speak against it and just being a willing prop than yes.

If she is serious of wanting to guide them from their ignorance than it can be a part of a strong symbol.  

If it gets to the point that she sees it is not about ignorance than she will be a very strong in her voice when she becomes more militant on those issues.

Trump's advisors aren't suggesting that he dance with Ms. Jenner as some sort of nod to the new administration's changing stance on LGBT policy.  It's not an anti-ignorance statement or even a pro-LGBT one.  It's specifically meant as spectacle, something they can point at and say "Trump loves the transgenders, the transgenders love him.  See, the transgender dance with him at inauguration!  You know what, he loves the gays too and loves them so much he picked a vp who wants to make sure they have lots and lots of therapy, isn't that great."

It's not great.  I think it does more harm than good.  Peter Theil was applauded at the RNC for identifying as a proud gay man and conservatives love to point at it as some sort of proof that they acknowledge the basic humanity and dignity of LGBT folks yet at that same convention they voted on a platform that included stripping LGBT folks of certain rights as well as allowing parents to torture their children in an effort to change something fundamental about them.  Some might posit that this is an improvement from jailing gay men or murdering them, but that's a pretty low bar to set.

I would support this hypothetical dance if it were accompanied by a meaningful speech of support for transgender students in schools, a nod that the justice department intends to protect transgender youth as well as extend discrimination protections to LGBT persons in areas such as housing and employment, and perhaps a declaration that the anti-LGBT platform voted for by the RNC will be vehemently opposed by the administration.  We all know that isn't going to happen.  All that will happen is exactly what I've described above and transgender men and women will continue to suffer.

Regarding Caitlyn's voice, she's certainly free to have an opinion about it but it does not mean that her stance is the right one in this scenario (whatever that stance might be).  She may be a voice in the transgender community and a particularly strong one at that considering the privilege and platform she occupies, but she's definitely not THE voice.  Many view her voice as highly problematic and potentially damaging.  

tl;dr I hope Trump does not dance with Caitlyn Jenner at the inaugural ball.

9 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

No.  It would require a new trial on different charges to put Manning back into prison.  Remember "double jeopardy".

That's what I thought, but I wasn't sure if he could do something to roll back the action since I don't think she's to be released until May.

7 hours ago, Nasty LongRider said:

Many of these R's want the same as DeVos, a 'return to god' in school including school prayer.  Having spent four years in grade school in a Catholic school, this makes me cringe, especially the 'prayer in school' thing as many of it's advocates claim it's a magical be all/end all to solving all sorts of issues around child behavior and society.  Uh, no, no it doesn't let me say that from experience. As for the unqualified/corrupt, I don't think they give a shit as she is one of the tribe and the D's are just being mean!

2 years of Jesus School meself, I always thought it was appropriate that on Wednesday we skipped History and English in favor of going to 'Chapel' in the gymnasium for 3 hours!

And the time I was suspended for 4 days after asking why at the book fair Harry Potter was on sale when I wasn't allowed to bring it into the school? I'm sure I didn't lose any education there!

Luckily my Science teacher had a Theology degree, so I think it all evens out.

2 hours ago, Crazy Cat Lady in Training said:

Agreed.

He also wants to privatize PBS and eliminate the National Endowment for the Arts as well as the National Endowment for the Humanities. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2017/01/19/trump-reportedly-wants-to-cut-cultural-programs-that-make-up-0-02-percent-of-federal-spending/?utm_term=.95d1594555c4#comments

I'm guessing that instead of PBS we'll have Russia Today.

Actually, I'm guessing instead of Russia Today you'll have America Today. Trump surrogates have regularly talked about Russia Today and how it has been a voice for Russia around the world. Get rid of PBS and use the funding (or double or triple the funding) for a station that does Donald Trump and the Republican Party viewpoint all day every day.

Bob the Builder will make the transition, though.  He'll just start wearing a red baseball cap instead of a construction hard helmet.

Christ.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/trump-military-equipment-inauguration_us_58811f4ae4b096b4a23091f7?ijatt9

Trump spoke about his vision of military parades in vague terms, suggesting it was something he might oversee in the future. But according to several sources involved in his inaugural preparations, Trump has endeavored to ensure that his first day as commander-in-chief is marked by an unusual display of heavy military equipment.

During the preparation for Friday’s transfer-of-power, a member of Trump’s transition team floated the idea of including tanks and missile launchers in the inaugural parade, a source involved in inaugural planning told The Huffington Post. “They were legit thinking Red Square/North Korea-style parade,” the source said, referring to massive military parades in Moscow and Pyongyang, typically seen as an aggressive display of muscle-flexing.

The military, which traditionally works closely with the presidential inaugural committee, shot down the request, the source said. Their reason was twofold. Some were concerned about the optics of having tanks and missile launchers rolling down Pennsylvania Avenue. But they also worried that the tanks, which often weigh over 100,000 pounds, would destroy the roads.

“I could absolutely see structural support being a reason [not to use tanks],” a Department of Defense official said. “D.C. is built on a swamp to begin with.”

Defense Department spokeswoman Valerie Henderson declined to comment on the request for tanks and missile launchers, referring questions to the Trump transition team. Trump advisor Boris Epshteyn told HuffPost that the presidential inaugural committee worked closely with the military “to render appropriate honors” for Trump’s swearing-in. But he directed questions about “specific aspects” of the military’s support to the Defense Department.

The Pentagon didn’t reject all of Trump’s ideas. At the request of the president-elect, there are five military flyovers ― one for each branch of the armed services ― planned for Friday’s inaugural parade, Pentagon spokesman Maj. Jamie Davis told HuffPost.

8 hours ago, Mexal said:

Yea, there are a lot of things to hate about her but I'm more interested in how Senate Republicans can vote for people who are clearly unqualified (see DeVos, Carson, Perry) or corrupt (see Price, Mnuchin). I get wanting a Republican and I get not wanting to piss off Trump but at some point, they have to realize they're on the hook when all these things fail right?

They are not on the hook. They have seen how they are absolutely not on the hook. That's sort of the point.

The only way most Republicans will be unelected is by being primaried. That's really about it. Short of that, they have a job until they retire. 

17 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

They are not on the hook. They have seen how they are absolutely not on the hook. That's sort of the point.

The only way most Republicans will be unelected is by being primaried. That's really about it. Short of that, they have a job until they retire. 

But surely this is the way something like this flips, right? If enough of these appointments are absolute disasters, and the effects of their "leadership" is felt by their constituents. 

I have been watching the Mnuchin hearings on and off and also watching the commentators on CNBC about the hearings, and everyone is saying the hearings are going well for him, that the Democrats are not scoring on any points that might turn a Republican to vote against him. A reporter at the hearings says the atmosphere at the hearings has a positive vibe.

5 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

I have been watching the Mnuchin hearings on and off and also watching the commentators on CNBC about the hearings, and everyone is saying the hearings are going well for him, that the Democrats are not scoring on any points that might turn a Republican to vote against him. A reporter at the hearings says the atmosphere at the hearings has a positive vibe.

Yeah, most reports I'm reading confirm this, and that it's unlikely that any of Trump's nominees get defeated. Some think there won't be a single no vote from Republicans.

Way to go there, Harry. Could of used a little foresight..... 

Just now, Tywin et al. said:

Have you gotten some new boots yet? We be goose stepping soon, mate.

You know, I was just about to get on Amazon today to buy a pair of Ivanka Trump Storm Trooper Boots.

I don't want to be the only kid on the block without a pair.

14 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Yeah, most reports I'm reading confirm this, and that it's unlikely that any of Trump's nominees get defeated. Some think there won't be a single no vote from Republicans.

Way to go there, Harry. Could of used a little foresight..... 

Tillerson is still probably the best bet to get a rejection, maybe Carson too. Flynn would be, if his position required confirmation.

None of the nominees were going to get defeated because they were too conservative. The only chance would be if they were too obviously incompetent, or the special case of Tillerson.

Republicans should defeat DeVos if they actually want conservative education reform; she's far too over her head to enact any meaningful changes.

5 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

I'm just curious which framed photo of the orange shit thing i'm supposed to put on my wall.  I know he hates the pictures with the bad angles but I can't ever tell the difference.  

I'd put this one above your bed. (NSFW)

28 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

But surely this is the way something like this flips, right? If enough of these appointments are absolute disasters, and the effects of their "leadership" is felt by their constituents. 

No, this isn't. Not likely at least. The last 'flip' was in 2008, and that was with most states not having massive gerrymandering - and that was almost immediately reversed. We now have the situation where most districts are 60% proof - in other words, unless the entire country goes 60% democrat, they will be completely proofed.

And that's just in the contested areas with potential good candidates. Against most people, there's no hope. Paul Ryan isn't going to be unelected any time soon. Neither is McConnell. 

Furthermore, the chances are good that people will primary them if things are going that badly (this is partially what happened in 2010), and so you'll get change - but not a change in party. 

Archived