Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kiko

German politics xth attempt

65 posts in this topic

The Doppelpass legislation and practice seems anything but simple and straightforward. Surprising for me that in 2011 (the only year we have numbers for) Turks are only the third most numerous group of double passport holders (after Poles and Russians) in Germany and there are (as of 2011) about 1.5 Million Turks in Germany without a German passport, 800,000 of Turkish descent with only a German passport and about 530,000 with both.

http://www.spiegel.de/politik/deutschland/doppelte-staatsbuergerschaft-und-doppelpass-das-sind-die-fakten-a-1124805.html

Really? 

Without looking at any statistics, I would have guessed that Russian-Germans would occupy the top spot as far as dual citizenship is concerned.  Remember a lot of them moved to Germany in the early 90s after the collapse of the Soviet Union, and they always had an easier road to a German passport than the Turks who had been living in Germany for 2-3 generations. 

That was the hypocrisy behind Koch's election campaign in Hessia that really made me mad back then. Well, that and the Jewish inheritance for the conservative party.

I didn't expect Poles to outnumber the Turks and to come in second though. 

I got the numbers from the linked article and did not independently check them as the numbers for the Turks seemed most relevant now anyway. I guess that the numbers would have been different in the mid-1990s when it was more difficult for Turks while the Russian Germans received it easily (some of them have probably died in the last 20-25 years).

690.000 Deutsche zusätzlich die polnische, 570.000 die russische und 530.000 die türkische Staatsangehörigkeit.

Yes, some have died, some didn't. Remember they only needed to provide a German grandfather (or grandmother) somewhere in their family tree to obtain the German citizenship. But my working hypothesis was, that the ties to the homeland are properly still strong for families who migrated to Germany in the 1990s, so I could see second Generation Russian Germans walk into the Russian embassy and ask for a Russian passport.

On a second thought, the number of Poles really shouldn't be that surprising, basically same story as with the Russian Germans. East Prussia, Silesia etc. Though I assumed a lot of those folks moved west after WWII and never became Polish citizens, which was of course not a realistic assumptions.

I don't know anymore whether I should find the increasing childishness of Erdogan and his lackeys funny or be horrified by it. It's like all the would-be dictators of our time make it a competition to look as much as a caricature of themselves as possible.

I mean, he got something resembling of a point when he criticised Germany of allowing the people he likes to persecute and drop bombs on to make a rally against his version of the Ermächtigungsgesetz while his lackeys are not allowed to get a platform to advertise just that. And then his lackeys ruin it by getting baited by the BND chief. Sure, it might have not been the most prudent decision during the current tensions for a secret service chief to call Erdogan out on his blatant lies when it comes to painting Gülen as a scapegoat. Not that we didn't all know that before. But now trying to paint a conspiracy theory in which German spies caused it, really? As a sarcastic quip I might have given that one a pass, but Isik's wording doesn't make it hard for Erdogan's more rabid supporters to take this one seriously.

What's with Nazis and their fucking conspiracy theories?

Edited by Toth