College Basketball: Tournament Time

S John

5 minutes ago, RedEyedGhost said:

They had a nice little run to get back into it.  St. Mary's keeps making some big shots, and VCU just can't get over that hump.  They're also getting some favorable non-whistles (St M), 34 should have been called for an offensive foul awhile back, and 22 tripped up a VCU player at the top of the key on a hedge that wasn't called.

VCU's hanging around.  They need a little boost about now to make it a real game. 6 minutes left.

I find it amazing at the ability of the networks to somehow have 4 simultaneous games going on, and 90% of the time they are all at commercial at the same time.

The announcers were talking about VCU not having many 3 pt shooters, and I remember Mexal lamenting that earlier in the season.  Not to say that they can't win it, but as the clock keeps ticking that is definitely worrisome.  I also had them past St Mary's; I'm pretty sure I've already taken a loss in my bracket though.

Jesus. These fouls are killing me. Lewis just clobbered again and nothing. 

And yea, the lack of shooters is a huge issue. The two others that we have besides Lewis are freshman and can't create their own shots.

Not going to lie, looking forward to what this team will look like next year. Wade's over reliance on some of these seniors who are -EV kills me.

Are they in the game?  Even if they can't create their own shots, they couldn't be worse than just running up the court and jacking up some garbage like Lewis has done a couple of times.  Great game for him other than that.

2 minutes ago, RedEyedGhost said:

Are they in the game?  Even if they can't create their own shots, they couldn't be worse than just running up the court and jacking up some garbage like Lewis has done a couple of times.  Great game for him other than that.

Jenkins is now but only cause people have fouled out. The other had his nose busted up. They won't play much regardless though because they are freshmen.

As for Lewis, he's the only reason we even stayed in this game. Can't complain.

Oh well. Next two years will be interesting with a super young team. We lost an entire recruiting class and then some when Shaka Smart left so we'll see what Wade can mold with his own recruits. Like the guys coming in a lot so fingers crossed they mature quickly. No room for error in OOC schedule.

Just now, Mexal said:

Oh well. Next two years will be interesting with a super young team. We lost an entire recruiting class and then some when Shaka Smart left so we'll see what Wade can mold with his own recruits. Like the guys coming in a lot so fingers crossed they mature quickly. No room for error in OOC schedule.

I like Wade's style of ball a lot better than Smart's, and he's been recruiting really well for you, so I can't imagine you'll be down for long.  Hopefully big money school won't start sniffing around at him just yet.

8 minutes ago, RedEyedGhost said:

I like Wade's style of ball a lot better than Smart's, and he's been recruiting really well for you, so I can't imagine you'll be down for long.  Hopefully big money school won't start sniffing around at him just yet.

I do too, especially on offense. The issue is we have a tough time against teams with a lot of length in the middle of the defense because we have no shooters. We like to play an inside out game but we never got it inside and we're not good enough to move the ball around the perimeter and drain shots. Been like this all season.

Next season, we have a really good class coming in. Lavar Batts is going to be a monster and the two big men will help. Issue will still be shooting so have to hope Jenkins and Crowfield get better. I have high hopes for them.

As for Wade, I don't think he's going anywhere for a few years. VCU suits him and he's only 34.

10 minutes ago, Joe Pesci said:

First time I've seen FSU this year, they have some behemoths in the post. Should've researched this one a little bit before taking Gulf Coast in the upset :dunno:

Dunk City!  10-0 run to put them on top!  I actually took them to the Sweet 16, so I'm hoping they take this one over.  And as Rhom likes to point out, FSU is coached by Leonard Hamilton.

Just now, RedEyedGhost said:

Dunk City!  10-0 run to put them on top!  I actually took them to the Sweet 16, so I'm hoping they take this one over.  And as Rhom likes to point out, FSU is coached by Leonard Hamilton.

I have them in the Sweet 16 too, I tend to take a 14 over a 3 once a year anyways, and it seemed like a lot of people were saying FSU was too highly seeded to begin with which made this my pick.

Looks like no major upsets in day 1.  I don't think MTSU counts since they were the Vegas favorite.  Now that WVU has survived the first round I feel safe hoping for a dose of chaos tomorrow.

2 hours ago, Joe Pesci said:

First time I've seen FSU this year, they have some behemoths in the post. Should've researched this one a little bit before taking Gulf Coast in the upset :dunno:

FSU is really deep.  Similar to WVU in that way.  WVU and FSU would have met in an early season tournament but FSU lost to Temple and got knocked out.   Then WVU also lost to Temple, which greatly annoyed me.

In any case they are in WVUs region and I think an elite 8 meeting is possible.  I'd like to avoid playing them actually (but not via losing before the elite 8).

I wanted to avoid ND too and was pulling hard for Princeton today.  ND is a solid team with a nice resume of wins.  But I wanted to avoid them, not because I don't think WVU can beat them, but because it'll probably be a close game and it'll piss me off a little extra if we get bounced by Notre Dame.

Archived