How do you think Stannis will react to Jon Snow real parentage reveal?

Sergey Dukman

On 7/8/2017 at 3:45 PM, Quoth the raven, said:

For the record, I think Aerys made Viserys his heir and Rhaegar's children were removed from the line of inheritance. 

could you expand on this a bit?

seems interesting lol

Say for argument's sake Stannis somehow finds out that Jon is the legit son of Rhaegar and Lyanna. Why should this information change his claim to the throne. He is claiming the throne as Robert's true heir and the Targs were deposed. It should not matter to Stannis if Jon is the Targ claimant to the throne. If Jon stakes a claim to the IT, good old Stannis will name Jon a usurper and go on fighting for the IT. 

3 hours ago, Fishb20 said:

could you expand on this a bit?

seems interesting lol

In the world book, Viserys is referred to as Aerys heir. It most likely happened after Rhaegar's death.  Since Aerys distrusted the Martells, it appears he disinherited Rhaegar's children with Elia.    

7 minutes ago, teej6 said:

In the world book, Viserys is referred to as Aerys heir. It most likely happened after Rhaegar's death.  Since Aerys distrusted the Martells, it appears he disinherited Rhaegar's children with Elia.    

And that's pretty academic anyway, since the Targaryens are not the current ruling house anymore. :)

19 minutes ago, teej6 said:

thank you for clearing that up :)

1 hour ago, kissdbyfire said:

And that's pretty academic anyway, since the Targaryens are not the current ruling house anymore. :)

I agree. I wonder why GRRM retconned this bit of information in there. To muddy the waters further regarding Jon's claim or so that Dany will have a better claim being Viserys heir and all. Did Elio or Linda have anything to say about it?

38 minutes ago, teej6 said:

I agree. I wonder why GRRM retconned this bit of information in there. To muddy the waters further regarding Jon's claim or so that Dany will have a better claim being Viserys heir and all. Did Elio or Linda have anything to say about it?

No, this is to take us, the readers, off the scent that Jon's born of royal blood, thus legitimate.  All throughout the 5 books so far, GRRM plastered Jon with so many hints attributing to Jon's kingship.  It is hard to ignore those hints against a book written by a maester who was clearly in league with the Baratheon/Lannister monarchy at the time it was written.

14 hours ago, TMIFairy said:

If by R+J=S you actualy mean R+L=J, then I think that no, Stannis will not act against Jon Snow on such grounds alone.

1 - Jon Snow is a member of the Nights Watch and forswore any "temporal" claims.

"Thank you uncle for allowing me to make an informed decision about my life" - sarcasm.

2 - Jon Snow is a bastard and with Daenerys and Faegon around no Targ sympathiser would care to spit in his direction. Not to mention that where they are now, the Wall and the north - such Targ sympathisers are not exactly plentiful.

I agree that the majority of  Targ sympathizer have better choices then Jon but there are two groups of Targ sympathizers that Jon has at leas a chance of wining that you overlooked.  The most likely to join Jon would be the Targ supporters from the Riverlands, though Robb's will is more likely to be the deciding outcome regarding that.  A less likely group would be the Targ supporters from Dragonstone that went with Stannis to the Wall and Winterfell, assuming that Stannis dies without completely loosing his army.

Stannis has no argument with the Targs whatsoever. He joined the rebellion because his Lord and brother did so. Jon is a Stark bastard irrespective whether he's Ned's son or Lyanna's son. He's no threat to Stannis claim and he needs him to bring the North together against the Boltons/Lannisters

Most of me wants to say he wouldn't give two shits and show the stubborn righteous ambition we all know and love. And I also think the person who would care the least about the revelation would be Jon. 

But I also think the revelation paired with something else, like a loss in the battle at the crofter's village (doesn't seem likely) or the death of Shireen and/or Selyse might push him over the edge. Personally, I kind of want to see him become the 1,000th Lord Commander of the NW, but I don't know how realistic that is. 

Also, if Shireen dies, is there any chance Stannis would death-bed, or right before becoming LC, legitimize at least one of his brother's bastards to keep house Baratheon alive? Off topic, but I always think about that when considering Stannis' worst case. 

2 minutes ago, Lord Vance II said:

Most of me wants to say he wouldn't give two shits and show the stubborn righteous ambition we all know and love. And I also think the person who would care the least about the revelation would be Jon. 

But I also think the revelation paired with something else, like a loss in the battle at the crofter's village (doesn't seem likely) or the death of Shireen and/or Selyse might push him over the edge. Personally, I kind of want to see him become the 1,000th Lord Commander of the NW, but I don't know how realistic that is. 

Also, if Shireen dies, is there any chance Stannis would death-bed, or right before becoming LC, legitimize at least one of his brother's bastards to keep house Baratheon alive? Off topic, but I always think about that when considering Stannis' worst case. 

I don't think Stannis would care much at all. As has been pointed out before, he doesn't share Robert's hatred of Targs. I also agree that Jon might not care too much about it, other than knowing, finally, who his parents were. 

As to the last part, yeah, I've thought about that possibility as well, and just the other day @sweetsunray brought the very same possibility up elsewhere. Wouldn't that make for a potentially interesting development? 

8 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

I also agree that Jon might not care too much about it, other than knowing, finally, who his parents were. 

I think to him, his father was Ned and that's all that really matters. 

9 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Wouldn't that make for a potentially interesting development?

I love the idea. He obviously couldn't make it a blanket statement or else every whore with a black-haired kid would claim it was Roberts. But he knows Edric is out there, and if he was snooping with Jon Arryn he knows about Gendry and Mya Stone and maybe others. Edric is even a Florent too. Not knowing where any of them are would be an issue, and folks would contest legitimization by a King few recognize. But a very cool idea. 

Just now, Lord Vance II said:

I think to him, his father was Ned and that's all that really matters. 

Yeah. I like to play w/ the idea that Jon won't even change his name afterwards. After all, how adequate is it? Jon Snow, King of Winter? I don't think he cares about titles/names for their own sake. The issue for him is more knowing his origins. My take on it, obviously. 

Just now, Lord Vance II said:

I love the idea. He obviously couldn't make it a blanket statement or else every whore with a black-haired kid would claim it was Roberts. But he knows Edric is out there, and if he was snooping with Jon Arryn he knows about Gendry and Mya Stone and maybe others. Edric is even a Florent too. Not knowing where any of them are would be an issue, and folks would contest legitimization by a King few recognize. But a very cool idea. 

I agree, I don't think Stannis would go full Aegon IV! :)

R+J=S... Rhaegar + Jon = Stannis?

Anyway, I can't see why Stannis would turn on him. Unless Jon presses a claim, he's no threat. Even if Jon is not a bastard, he relinquished any political power he had when he joined the NW.

And unless Jon is the trueborn son of Robert and Cersei, the news wouldn't send him kneeling either. Stannis decided which claim he supported when he went against his King to back his brother. He isn't going to go back on his decision now.

1 minute ago, Hodor the Articulate said:

Even if Jon is not a bastard, he relinquished any political power he had when he joined the NW.

Not that I think it will happen, but there is precedent for a Targaryan in the NW having the option of taking the throne with Aemon. Then it was for lack of a good option, and I'd say that's true now too. 

11 minutes ago, Lord Vance II said:

Not that I think it will happen, but there is precedent for a Targaryan in the NW having the option of taking the throne with Aemon. Then it was for lack of a good option, and I'd say that's true now too. 

Isn't it even more complicated with Aemon?

He already should had been out of the line of succession for being a Maester, but ran away to the Wall to be absolutely certain that nobody would use him as a figurehead to usurp the throne from the Targ whom Aemon backed for the IT?

3 minutes ago, Lord Vance II said:

But that would require Jon to accept/make a claim.

2 minutes ago, Hodor the Articulate said:

But that would require Jon to accept/make a claim.

I just mean it wouldn't be unprecedented for the lords of the realm to extend the offer, and that could weigh in on how Stannis handled knowing who Jon was. I don't think Jon would take it if offered. Aemon never asked for the option but it was given anyways. 

Archived