Lightning Tiger

Say Jon becomes king, would the southerners accept a king who keeps to the old gods?

12 posts in this topic

Dany is not devout to any particular religion, so if she Marries Jon and they rule together or whatever, the crown could be said to belong to the old Gods now (I doubt Jon would raise his kids to keep to the 7)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I reckon it will be fine.

Jon seems very much in favour of religious freedom in the books and I've seen nothing to suggest that he would be any sort of religious zealot in the show, so there would be no reason for him to personally antagonise them on religious grounds. As for the nobility themselves, given that Cersei Lannister blew up this world's equivalent of the bloomin' Vatican and Pope in the show and no one even made a fuss, I doubt that the few of them still alive would give a damn their new King worships trees.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would be interesting if he just converted... 

Paris is worth a mass after all

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That would not be the immediate concern. The southerners will question the legitimacy of Jon's claim on the Iron Throne. Most of them won't probably believe on Sam and Bran's combined knowledge about his true parentage unless a really solid evidence arises.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Maester Yandel said:

That would not be the immediate concern. The southerners will question the legitimacy of Jon's claim on the Iron Throne. Most of them won't probably believe on Sam and Bran's combined knowledge about his true parentage unless a really solid evidence arises.

The evidence is his Targaryen bride and dragon i would venture to guess. That seems like solid evidence. 

If he does not have that then you are right. Not sure why anyone would believe him.

Edited by jcmontea

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/31/2017 at 8:16 AM, Red Tiger said:

In the books? Nah.

On the show? Sure.

Agreed.

The books won't ever have him near the throne (I assume, I can't see it going that direction).

The show, there are enough ways to write it to go the way you want and have it make just enough sense that you don't question it right away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, jcmontea said:

The evidence is his Targaryen bride and dragon i would venture to guess. That seems like solid evidence. 

If he does not have that then you are right. Not sure why anyone would believe him.

Then they'll probably rather have Daenerys as ruler than a "bastard". Plus, I guess everybody knows (since its written in their history) that not only the Targaryens can tame dragons. So I still doubt that they'd accept him as ruler even if he has both.

Moreover, if Jon and Daenerys wins against the Others/wights, no one from the south would believe they did went on war with them (unless they "bring the dead" to them). Everybody else would just think that it's the dragon queen and the northerners' plan/folly to win the hearts of the Westerosi and usurp the Iron Throne.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, Maester Yandel said:

Then they'll probably rather have Daenerys as ruler than a "bastard". Plus, I guess everybody knows (since its written in their history) that not only the Targaryens can tame dragons. So I still doubt that they'd accept him as ruler even if he has both.

Moreover, if Jon and Daenerys wins against the Others/wights, no one from the south would believe they did went on war with them (unless they "bring the dead" to them). Everybody else would just think that it's the dragon queen and the northerners' plan/folly to win the hearts of the Westerosi and usurp the Iron Throne.

Nah. 

IF Jon and Dany beat the Others and even one dragon is alive its over. 

There is a reason why they had that scene where everyone knelt to Dany after she fried the Tarleys and how Dany all of a sudden had some mysterious lands that popped out of nowhere that she did not want to give up. 

Medieval warfare was all about targeting civilian populations to show the futility of the local lord and to demonstrate that if people wanted protection they needed to accept you as their lord. 

If there is still a dragon and cersei is wiped out, no one is going to be arguing with Jon about his parentage unless they have a very good reason for thinking they can defend themselves against the dragon. 

People will quible if there is no dragon and they have no reason to fear Jon. 

Edited by jcmontea

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’d argue given his experiences he’d support all religions and so would Danny. At this point I’d be surprised if at the end he holds to any one faith, but rather believes in a higher power, and could theoretically fake/ be polite enough to partake in various religious ceremonies as needed if he were king. Don’t think the common people would really notice or accuse him of holding to some false faith as long as he doesn’t come out with forceful religious laws or loudly, and often, proclaims his beliefs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Given oaths in Westeros include the old gods too, i doubt it'd even be a problem. R'hllor is a whole different deal though

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/9/2018 at 9:54 PM, SecretWeapon said:

Given oaths in Westeros include the old gods too, i doubt it'd even be a problem. R'hllor is a whole different deal though

This.  The religion of the Old Gods, while only majorly prevalent in the North, has remained an ingrained part of Westeros culture. Swearing by the Old Gods and the New, Godswoods, etc. So while it may be frowned upon, so long as Jon doesn't try to "cast down" the Faith of the Seven, he would likely be accepted just fine. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now