What happens to old unsullied?

Varysblackfyre321

Seriously - I would just assume that they already have other skills. Who prepares their food? Organizes their encampments? Keeps their armor and arms in repair? Washes their clothing? Moves additional supplies, probably via wagon, with beasts of burden needing to be driven, cared for? Unsullied would almost certainly have these skills among them, and these are always in demand in Westeros. They are also useful as guards, both serious (aka the Hound) and ceremonial. So special programs would not be terribly necessary - although, as you point out, could help Unsullied to have more variable careers, should any so choose.

Should Daenerys ever make it to Westeros (that's probably as likely as Jon Snow returning to life, at this point), and should she manage to conquer and take the Iron Throne, she will have infinitely more pressing concerns. Which would not be a problem, because it will be a decade or more before her Unsullied grow old enough to need less strenuous employment.

9 minutes ago, Nowy Tends said:

I wouldn't be surprised if in the Ghiscari tradition, the owner of an Insullied getting too old orders him to dig his grave and then kill himself… :ph34r:

Oh man that's a stomach-turning thought.

Like @zandru I believe the unsullied likely already have a lot of functional skills to be useful.  I'm not sure how they can be "de-programmed" from being killing machines to integrating into society - I imagine there will be a lot of depression and high suicide rates.

6 minutes ago, Lucius Lovejoy said:

Oh man that's a stomach-turning thought.

Like @zandru I believe the unsullied likely already have a lot of functional skills to be useful.  I'm not sure how they can be "de-programmed" from being killing machines to integrating into society - I imagine there will be a lot of depression and high suicide rates.

I don't know if this will be much of an issue honestly. They are programmed to obey above all. I wouldn't even be surprised if they couldn't kill themselves no matter how bad they wanted to without being commanded to do so. At any rate I agree they probably have many other useful skills. 

16 minutes ago, Lyanna<3Rhaegar said:

I don't know if this will be much of an issue honestly. They are programmed to obey above all. I wouldn't even be surprised if they couldn't kill themselves no matter how bad they wanted to without being commanded to do so. At any rate I agree they probably have many other useful skills. 

You could be right about their obedience, though we haven't seen them as civilians yet.  They have such a tragic tale.

2 hours ago, zandru said:

o prepares their food? Organizes their encampments? Keeps their armor and arms in repair? Washes their clothing?

Cooks, their masters, and blacksmiths? Oh and I'd think for the majority of their life other slaves would wash their clothes but assuming how the wise masters treated them whose to say they even did that.

Ten years of intense training.  Surely not all of that is combat training.  They knew how to build Josso's c_ck and other weapons of mass destruction out of wood.  There's some carpentry skills there.  They can always follow Dany around.  She's too high profile to not have bodyguards 24/7.  The old and the infirm will be taken care of because that is Dany's character. 

The unsullied who are unfortunate enough to be bought by Pentoshi, Ghiscari, Tyroshi and others are less fortunate.  I don't think their masters will spend the money to set a retirement home for them.  It's not a pleasant ending. 

2 hours ago, Lyanna<3Rhaegar said:

Are they not their own masters ultimately? Did not Daenarys Stormborn grant them their freedom? They show once freed they wanted individuality and capable of doing things without explicit orders to do so. 

28 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Are they not their own masters ultimately? Did not Daenarys Stormborn grant them their freedom? They show once freed they wanted individuality and capable of doing things without explicit orders to do so. 

You may be giving them too much credit. They were conditioned from day one to obey. Even under freedom that still has transferred largely to Daenerys.

3 hours ago, Lord Lannister said:

You may be giving them too much credit. They were conditioned from day one to obey. Even under freedom that still has transferred largely to Daenerys.

Yes, they still mostly obey and  but they do try to give themselves pleasure and a sense of identity without having to get direct orders to do so.  I honestly think if given the right encouragement they could be so much more than pure foot soldiers (although great ones). Like, ask them which of them likes music or cooking or farming. And then hide the best teachers in the world to help guide them.

Archived