My newspaper column on names...

Ormond

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Interesting, my Grandmother (Southern) was a Betty Gene, and always went by Betty Gene. She is buried in a National Cemetary with my grandfather. You can only have 3 names, apparently, on the stone, and because "Gene" was officially her middle name, we either had to drop Gene or her maiden name. Because the cemetary is in the town where she was born and she is buried near her uncles, we opted to drop the Gene, which is unfortunate.

Ormond, double names are very common in my country. I know a Kristine Anne (which almost became my name too), a Ruby Anne, an Ira May, a Patrick John and a couple of John Pauls. My best friend's name is Bea Francis (this one I like). Anyway, I've been meaning to ask you: have you done a column on names like Princess Grace, Queen Elizabeth? I also know someone whose name is General Hannibal.

The only British double named person I can think of is fictional - Sarah Jane Smith.

But then, you presumably don't meet many children, which is where the trend is. I do, and I do see more with these double names.

I also knew a few when growing up, but that seemed to be a Catholic thing (Ormond could presumably confirm). John Paul, Anne-Marie, etc.

I went to elementary school (in North Carolina) with a ton of girls and a handful of boys who went by two names. The ones that stick out in my mind are Betty Bobitt Lee (her family called her Be-Bop) but all the teachers called her Betty Bobitt and Robbie-Shan Richarson. She was always Robbie-Shan and never Robbie.

Archived