Football, Footie, Ball, FOOTBALL!

The Inquisitor

The question about gay footballers is somewhat interesting though. I mean, it amuses me; surely there's not a soul in the world who believe that of all the professional footballers, there is not a single one gay :lol:

But of course, who will be the first one to come out? And when someone does, what will the response be?

I would predict said person will be lauded and praised for his bravery. He will be congratulated on all fronts and not a foul word will be said, outside the chanting and scoffing of the fans on the stands of course. But after a while he will be sold off to another club, probably a lesser one. And that is partially why no one is talking.

Ah, the joys of joint showering.

So mighty Barnsley has now scalped Liverpool as well as Chelsea. Cool.

Can't help but feel these cups ( League, FA) are simply not top priority for the big teams when the CL and EPO are also so close. Which is a cop out just as well, because they have squads big enough to pull it off at multiple fronts.

BTW about the EPL, can I just highlight that we might see Bolton Wanderers and Newcastle relegated. Bolton used to be in the top 5 in recent years. Newcastle, well signing Kevin Keegan as their messiah didn't quite have the effect it should have, did it? What is that record now, 1 point in 10 matches? :devil:

Cali, I'm not sure the prioritisation of the FA Cup by the big four is such a big issue. All four of the big teams (except possibly Liverpool) had their strongest teams playing when they were knocked out. But what a fantastic day for football. Who would like to say who will win the cup now? Portsmouth must be the favourites, but this isn't a season for favourites.

As to the Prem, it would be great to see Newcastle relegated. They should have stuck with Sam Allardyce. You can't expect him to turn a team into world beaters inside 6 months. Sacking him was ridiculous. I hope Bolton stay up, as I quite like them, but they are in trouble. But both of them can't go down, as 2 teams have already placed reservations for the relegation spots - Derby and Fulham. Can't see either of them surviving.

Bloody hell. Well, at least they beat Liverpool first. Still, good on Barnsley, and best of luck to them going forward. And maybe we'll play our best in the two competitions we're still in, perchance?

Manchester United was very unlucky against portsmouth :cry:

They should have scored three or fire times befor Portsmouth got there Penelty and the big Polish got a red card and Rio Ferdinand had to be keeper the last 10 min.

The only thing that made this day a little was that Chelsea lost against the big that is Barnsley.

So the whole "only the big 4 win the FA Cup" run will come to an end. That's cool - but I still want an all Premiership final. Or all lower league. I remember the Man U-Millwall Final. Or, I remember it happening. I didn't watch it because I knew how one sided it would be. Millwall in the Final? Bloody hell.

Although I guess that's an unfair comaprison, though, seeing how Man U are Man U and Portsmouth/Middlesbrough just aren't. *shrug*

I'm looking forward to the CL draw. I'd OBVIOUSLY prefer Schalke or Fenerbache on paper, but PSV were meant to be beatable last season, while the season before we knocked out Real Madrid and Juventus, so :/

They should have stuck with Sam Allardyce. You can't expect him to turn a team into world beaters inside 6 months. Sacking him was ridiculous.

Sacking Big (Headed) Sam is never a bad move IMO. ;)

LB

Cali, I'm not sure the prioritisation of the FA Cup by the big four is such a big issue. All four of the big teams (except possibly Liverpool) had their strongest teams playing when they were knocked out

You're right, they did. And they all lost to relatively minor sides that they usually beat in the EPL. So something happens that makes the big clubs lose to lesser sides in the cup. I'll hold that it's to do with some teams being real cupfighters that is an aspect, throwing everything they've got at that one match, whereas the big sides have to compete in a few other leagues as well, leagues they will also find more important still ( not to say the FA cup is small time).

That said, Man U did deserve a victory against Portsmouth when it comes to the actual play. THey were the better side, had more chances, but lucked out. Didn't catch the Chelsea match so couldn't say.

Chelsea were thoroughly outplayed for 75 minutes. It was only in the last 15 that they really penned Barnsley in their own half. Barnsley also created more clear-cut chances.

Arsenal drew 0-0 at Wigan today. A bit of a comedown after the Milan match. The game was pretty dull and though Arsenal had 3 really good chances, they will be disappointed they didn't create more or take one of them. They are now 2 points ahead of Man Utd, who have one game in hand, and 8 ahead of Chelsea, who are two games behind. Still looks like it will go to the wire, though Arsenal need to pick their play up if they are to stay in the hunt.

Archived