The ASOIAF wiki thread

Onion Knight

1 hour ago, Ran said:

That feels like something that may possibly have to be marked as spoilers for S6-on, on the off chance some of these are too clear about significant events.

Would it be enough to make a banner on top of that page (either like this one or this one)?

1 hour ago, Ran said:

I'd say differences between book and screen is the right way to go with handling events from the TV show. I don't know, maybe sub-pages for characters to tackle 'On the show'? It need not be in-depth, but I do think there's an interest in our having some relevant information alongside the book info.

That's a way to handle it. Gather all characters on one page, listing them alphabetically? 

14 minutes ago, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

Ok, @The Wondering Wolf and @direpupy,

It took me three attempts, as the wiki kept displaying the old image, but in the end, the trick was waiting a few hours for the wiki to display the newly uploaded version. It should be correct now, I think?

I still see they old one, but when i click on the picture then i see the correct one so it seems the site displays it mirrored from what you uploaded. click on original file then you get to see the correct one as well again it seems that it is being displayed mirrored.

Edited by direpupy

34 minutes ago, direpupy said:

I still see they old one, but when i click on the picture then i see the correct one so it seems the site displays it mirrored from what you uploaded. click on original file then you get to see the correct one as well again it seems that it is being displayed mirrored.

Perhaps the wiki still nerds some time then to process the image. The Crownlands page displays the image correctly, and it already took several hours for the image-page to start displaying the image that I uploaded. I can recall something similar happening with a new version of the House Velaryon sigil I one uploaded. And it happens with templates as well. A change in an often used template does not immediately show on the entire wiki. It takes a while for the site to process it. Perhaps for uploading new versions of images, it is the same.

@Rhaenys_Targaryen found out how to fix it apparently when you go to a page you have been to before it shows you the page as it looked like when you last visited, when i refreshed the page while i was actually on it it changed to the latest version.

Perhaps this is more of a browser than site issue i use firefox, so it may be a firefox problem and not a wiki problem.

2 hours ago, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

@direpupy, good to hear you can see the updated file. The House Edgerton page still displays the old version, but I suspect the wiki hasn't processed it completely yet. The Crownlands page already displays the file properly.

I can see the correct version on the house Edgerton page. As i said what you have to do is go to the page and then refresh it while your on the page itself, it has something to do with a shortcut your computer takes when going to a page it has been to before. Apparently it loads the page from memory and saved cookies instead of loading it from scratch.

2 hours ago, direpupy said:

I can see the correct version on the house Edgerton page. As i said what you have to do is go to the page and then refresh it while your on the page itself, it has something to do with a shortcut your computer takes when going to a page it has been to before. Apparently it loads the page from memory and saved cookies instead of loading it from scratch.

I refreshed that page quite often today to check if the uploading went ok ;) However, it displays correctly for me now too, so I suppose it worked and just needs some time :) A good thing to know.

On 23-4-2016 at 10:47 PM, Ran said:

I think that's sufficient, with a banner of some kind.

Surprised there's no templates out there in Mediawiki land for handling spoilers.

Ran, another question regarding the season 6 spoiler policy. 

I was wondering, what information can be put on the episode-pages for the season 6 episodes? Is the HBO synopsis allowed on that page, for example? 

Perhaps you can take a look at this page from episode 1 from season 5, and say what parts of that page you'd consider OK for the season 6 pages as well. (think actor-listings, guest star-listing, etc.)

On 2016-04-27 at 8:31 PM, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

Is it Gogossos  (as the app and the maps of ADWD spell it)? Or Gorgossos, as TWOIAF spells it?

Gogossos. Should be corrected in later editions.

7 hours ago, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

Why are all the sigils of the Dornish Houses circles (e.g. House Martell), instead of the banners we use for other houses (e.g. House Blackwood)?

I believe it is to emulate the round shields often used by Dornishmen.

This waiting was intolerable. "Banners forward," he snapped. "We'll meet them." He kicked his horse. Bronn and Pod followed, one to either side. When the Dornishmen saw them coming, they spurred their own mounts, banners rippling as they rode. From their ornate saddles were slung the round metal shields they favored, and many carried bundles of short throwing spears, or the double-curved Dornish bows they used so well from horseback. (ASOS Tyrion V)

Nymeria Sand was five-and-twenty, and slender as a willow. Her straight black hair, worn in a long braid bound up with red-gold wire, made a widow's peak above her dark eyes, just as her father's had. With her high cheekbones, full lips, and milk-pale skin, she had all the beauty that her elder sister lacked . . . but Obara's mother had been an Oldtown whore, whilst Nym was born from the noblest blood of old Volantis. A dozen mounted spearmen tailed her, their round shields gleaming in the sun. They followed her down the dune. (AFFC The Captain of Guards)