Tea Bagging

Arlingzen Bill

[quote name='the Blauer Dragon' post='1753686' date='Apr 13 2009, 21.06']This is NOT the opposite! This is the same. It's the working class, rising up in protest against the corrupt and oppressive government that is tyrannically taxing us into oblivion. I, myself, have sent 5 tea-tags so far[/quote]

Didn't you say you work in a university?

This is clearly a fairly broad definition of 'the working class'. :P

p.s. like many people, you apparently confuse 'tyranny' with 'well, [u]I[/u] didn't vote for it'. ;)

[quote name='Tears of Lys' post='1753796' date='Apr 13 2009, 16.38']Deaf Dick, when did you add origami to your avatar?

/thread

ETA: Quite humorous, I might add.[/quote]

I didn't do it myself. I just saw it somewhere on the web and liked it.

salt-bagging?

[quote name='the Blauer Dragon' post='1753686' date='Apr 13 2009, 15.06']This is NOT the opposite! This is the same. It's the working class, rising up in protest against the corrupt and oppressive government that is tyrannically taxing us into oblivion. I, myself, have sent 5 tea-tags so far (They informed us not to send the actual tea-bag as Homeland Security intercepts it as a "suspicious substance" and treats it like it's Anthrax - Complete with adding the sender to the Terrorist Watch List). This is the first time I've heard the term "tea-bagging" come into play with this movement. Perhaps you would care to educate yourself before you decide to start bashing a very Pro-American movement [url="http://newamericanteaparty.com/"]Here's some info![/url] [url="http://taxdayteaparty.com/"]Here's some more![/url] [url="http://features.csmonitor.com/politics/2009/02/27/budget-debate-launches-new-tea-party/"] And here's a News Story about it.[/url][/quote]

So where was this working class movement against corrupt and oppressive government back 30 years ago when the highest tax rate was 70%+? Or a decade or two earlier when it was 90%? Where was it when the FBI was illegally infiltrating and undermining Anti-war and Civil rights movements without any cause? Why didn't they raise a peep during McCarthyism? Where were the grass roots protests against warrantless wiretaps and suspension of due process? Think you can trust the government only to use that shit against brown people? (presuming that noone in this 'guvment sucks' protest gives a shit about brown people)

Seriously, what has happened in the last several months besides a shitty economy to make this moment the breaking point? The prospective rollback of taxcuts of the last few years that doesn't directly effect any of the teabaggers in question? And only really amounts to a few percentage points either way? Really? That's the tyrannical tax monster government everyone's railing against? If that's the case we should've had nation destroying civil wars during Eisenhower, Kennedy, LBJ, and Nixon's reign. Or could it be the obvious; A bunch of whiny bitches used to running things who got their asses kicked in the last election and are now crying foul.

You know who should be bitching? Who should be launching protests? Who actually has some legitimate taxation grievances? The motherfucking smokers paying 500%+ taxes, half of which go to commercials to demean and degrade them, who are excluded from public places and treated as a societal pariah. Except unlike the whiny tea-baggers, we really don't have a party. Everyone's eager to fuck us if it means they don't have to pass off the cost of running society to the masses. Budget shortfall: 1% sales tax bump? 3% property tax hike? Fuck that. Lets add another dollar per pack on fucking cigarettes. Doesn't matter Republican or Democrat. Whoever's in office, they're gonna fuck us. And its not this mythical, self-deluded phantom fucking of tax rates returning to what they were 8 years ago and still remaining INSANELY lower than 30 years ago. But a real, honest to god, attach 3 inch spikes to the baseball bat and spare the lube fucking. My cigarette prices have quadrupled in the last 10+ years and absolutely none of it has to do with market factors. 100% government interference.

So when I hear these ingrates bitching about rolling back taxcuts barely affect them in the first place, I'm not the least bit sympathetic. Fuck off. I'm forming the Smokers Party.

[quote name='mormont' post='1753797' date='Apr 13 2009, 14.41']Didn't you say you work in a university?

This is clearly a fairly broad definition of 'the working class'. :P

p.s. like many people, you apparently confuse 'tyranny' with 'well, [u]I[/u] didn't vote for it'. ;)[/quote]
Yes, I do work at a University. I am still very much a "Working Class stiff" by my definition. I work long hours for low pay. I put ion overtime whenever I have the option. I struggle with staying afloat financially. I do not live at all above my means (I have no cable, no home internet, no phone). I don't go out to eat, or drink, or play because I have neither the time nor the money to do so. I drive a small, fuel efficient car. I pay [u]more[/u] than my fair share of taxes.

I don't think that I qualify as "wealthy". For instance, I get paid in 2 days. If I shut off everything electrical in my apartment, I [i]may[/i] have just enough electricity to last until I get paid and can buy some more. I'll have to stay up until my direct deposit goes through at midnight to do so. I'm used to that. Happens at least every other payday.

I do not confuse Tyranny with "I didn't vote for it". I define Tyranny as follows:
[b]tyrâ‹…anâ‹…ny[/b] [tir-uh-nee]
–noun, plural -nies. 1. [b]arbitrary or unrestrained exercise of power; despotic abuse of authority.[/b]
2. the government or rule of a tyrant or absolute ruler.
3. a state ruled by a tyrant or absolute ruler.
4. [b]oppressive or unjustly severe government[/b] on the part of any ruler.
5. undue severity or harshness.
6. [b]a tyrannical act or proceeding.[/b]

I find the abusive over taxation of the American people, to finance special interest projects, political payoffs, unjustified military actions, and "Golden Parachute" bailout programs for the corrupt elite to be unforgivably tyrannical in nature. If you disagree with me, that's fine. At least for the time being, we all still have the right to our own opinions. How much longer that will last, I cannot say. We'll have to see how Bush_2.O handles things, and what comes after.

BTW, I believe this movement started before the elections did. I know I have felt the tax system was tyrannical for most of my adult life. I am only 32, so I cannot say where the complaints were before. I do not trust my government. I thought the entire Patriot Act and all of the B.S. that came with it was horrifying and wrong (I still do)... and I am a smoker.

[quote name='Shryke' post='1753884' date='Apr 13 2009, 16.21']You sound stressed out EHK. Calm down, have a smoke. Uncle Sam needs another Aircraft Carrier.[/quote]
He does sound stressed. I know the feeling. I can only imagine how stressed I will be when the next two federal cigarette taxes on the horizon take affect in a few months. I do know that if EHK organizes the Smoker's Party, I will jump at the chance to join it.

so you're teabagging because your taxes are being cut and you don't want more money? I'm confused.

[quote name='the Blauer Dragon' post='1753823' date='Apr 13 2009, 15.07']Yes, I do work at a University. I am still very much a "Working Class stiff" by my definition. I work long hours for low pay. I put ion overtime whenever I have the option. I struggle with staying afloat financially. I do not live at all above my means (I have no cable, no home internet, no phone). I don't go out to eat, or drink, or play because I have neither the time nor the money to do so. I drive a small, fuel efficient car. I pay [u]more[/u] than my fair share of taxes.

I don't think that I qualify as "wealthy". For instance, I get paid in 2 days. If I shut off everything electrical in my apartment, I [i]may[/i] have just enough electricity to last until I get paid and can buy some more. I'll have to stay up until my direct deposit goes through at midnight to do so. I'm used to that. Happens at least every other payday.

I do not confuse Tyranny with "I didn't vote for it". I define Tyranny as follows:
[b]tyrâ‹…anâ‹…ny[/b] [tir-uh-nee]
–noun, plural -nies. 1. [b]arbitrary or unrestrained exercise of power; despotic abuse of authority.[/b]
2. the government or rule of a tyrant or absolute ruler.
3. a state ruled by a tyrant or absolute ruler.
4. [b]oppressive or unjustly severe government[/b] on the part of any ruler.
5. undue severity or harshness.
6. [b]a tyrannical act or proceeding.[/b]

I find the abusive over taxation of the American people, to finance special interest projects, political payoffs, unjustified military actions, and "Golden Parachute" bailout programs for the corrupt elite to be unforgivably tyrannical in nature. If you disagree with me, that's fine. At least for the time being, we all still have the right to our own opinions. How much longer that will last, I cannot say. We'll have to see how Bush_2.O handles things, and what comes after.

BTW, I believe this movement started before the elections did. I know I have felt the tax system was tyrannical for most of my adult life. I am only 32, so I cannot say where the complaints were before. I do not trust my government. I thought the entire Patriot Act and all of the B.S. that came with it was horrifying and wrong (I still do)... and I am a smoker.[/quote]

[quote name='Brady' post='1753924' date='Apr 13 2009, 16.58']I thought the movement was about dipping your testicles in someones mouth.[/quote]
Maybe there is more to that old "college educated = liberal" than I thought.

[quote name='Joanna Nox' post='1753913' date='Apr 13 2009, 16.49']Come on, Blauer. Tell us what you think of Reagan's taxes.[/quote]
I was a young child during Reagan's Presidency. I do remember that the high taxes were very hard on my parents, and as such, they were not huge fans of Reagan. I also remember them going balistic when Reagan ushered through a massive "Amnesty" bill. I don't know why people seem to think that just because I have stated that I have a conservative viewpoint and that I do not care for Bush_2.0 that I must automatically be a blind supporter of all things Republican. I don't care for, or see much difference between, any of the major political parties in this country.

[quote name='lockesnow' post='1753905' date='Apr 13 2009, 16.45']so you're teabagging because your taxes are being cut and you don't want more money? I'm confused.[/quote]
My taxes are not being cut. I don't know what you're smoking, what the tax is on it, or how much of it you've smoked... but I think you might need to cut back on it a little bit. I also think that I might like to try it.

[quote name='EHK for Darwin' post='1753810' date='Apr 13 2009, 16.54']So when I hear these ingrates bitching about rolling back taxcuts barely affect them in the first place, I'm not the least bit sympathetic. Fuck off. I'm forming the Smokers Party.[/quote]

Go for it. To protest you could mail cigarette butts to politicians.

[quote name='the Blauer Dragon' post='1753686' date='Apr 13 2009, 16.06']This is NOT the opposite! This is the same. It's the working class, rising up in protest against the corrupt and oppressive government that is tyrannically taxing us into oblivion. I, myself, have sent 5 tea-tags so far (They informed us not to send the actual tea-bag as Homeland Security intercepts it as a "suspicious substance" and treats it like it's Anthrax - Complete with adding the sender to the Terrorist Watch List). This is the first time I've heard the term "tea-bagging" come into play with this movement. Perhaps you would care to educate yourself before you decide to start bashing a very Pro-American movement [url="http://newamericanteaparty.com/"]Here's some info![/url] [url="http://taxdayteaparty.com/"]Here's some more![/url] [url="http://features.csmonitor.com/politics/2009/02/27/budget-debate-launches-new-tea-party/"] And here's a News Story about it.[/url][/quote]
So let me ask you. Do you oppose higher taxes or taxes in general?

If it's higher taxes, then you're quite daft and need to brush up on your reading comprehension and critical thinking skills, because taxes are being [i]lowered[/i] for anyone who can even remotely be considered working-class.

If it's taxes in general, well, have you taken leave of your senses? The Boston Tea Party was about taxation without representation -- and you have representation. Taxes are part of the social contract we've agreed to enter into in exchange for the services provided.

EDIT:
[quote]Yes, I do work at a University. I am still very much a "Working Class stiff" by my definition. I work long hours for low pay. I put ion overtime whenever I have the option. I struggle with staying afloat financially. I do not live at all above my means (I have no cable, no home internet, no phone). I don't go out to eat, or drink, or play because I have neither the time nor the money to do so. I drive a small, fuel efficient car. I pay [u]more[/u] than my fair share of taxes.[/quote]
Something doesn't add up here, what do you do?

[quote name='the Blauer Dragon' post='1753823' date='Apr 13 2009, 18.07']I thought the entire Patriot Act and all of the B.S. that came with it was horrifying and wrong (I still do)[/quote]
I'm not happy with the Democrats' handling of that situation, but the Republicans were its architects. You should maybe not vote Republican.

[quote name='the Blauer Dragon' post='1753932' date='Apr 13 2009, 20.06']My taxes are not being cut. I don't know what you're smoking, what the tax is on it, or how much of it you've smoked... but I think you might need to cut back on it a little bit. I also think that I might like to try it.[/quote]
I don't normally like to ask this kind of question on a public board, but if you don't mind answering it, can you ballpark your pay?

[quote name='RhaegarTar' post='1753914' date='Apr 13 2009, 19.49']the movement is more about debt/big government as it is about "taxes"[/quote]
Besides the fact that this sentence is a grammatical mess, if it's not about taxes then why the tea?

[quote name='Inigima' post='1754031' date='Apr 13 2009, 19.03']So let me ask you. Do you oppose higher taxes or taxes in general?

If it's higher taxes, then you're quite daft and need to brush up on your reading comprehension and critical thinking skills, because taxes are being [i]lowered[/i] for anyone who can even remotely be considered working-class.

If it's taxes in general, well, have you taken leave of your senses? The Boston Tea Party was about taxation without representation -- and you have representation. Taxes are part of the social contract we've agreed to enter into in exchange for the services provided.[/quote]
If taxes are excessively high to begin with, and you lower them temporarily to a point that is still far too high (while increasing taxes in other areas to compensate), then how is that truly making progress? I object to income tax, to gift tax, and to many of the taxes that we have. Let us instead have a flat sales tax, and everyone can pay an equal share based on what they spend. As for the representation, do you really feel that way? Do you really think that you have any representation in Washington? Truly? "And they say I'm the one that's Daft!"
[quote name='Inigima' post='1754031' date='Apr 13 2009, 19.03']Something doesn't add up here, what do you do?[/quote]
I'm an Enrollment Counselor
[quote name='Inigima' post='1754031' date='Apr 13 2009, 19.03']I'm not happy with the Democrats' handling of that situation, but the Republicans were its architects. You should maybe not vote Republican.[/quote]
I usually don't. I try not to obey any particular party lines, but I've only voted Republican one time. I voted Democrat once also.
[quote name='Inigima' post='1754031' date='Apr 13 2009, 19.03']I don't normally like to ask this kind of question on a public board, but if you don't mind answering it, can you ballpark your pay?[/quote]
Ballpark, more than 30K, less than 40K. That a good enough "ballpark" for you?
[quote name='Inigima' post='1754031' date='Apr 13 2009, 19.03']Besides the fact that this sentence is a grammatical mess, if it's not about taxes then why the tea?[/quote]Can't help with that one. I read it and immediately thought he was calling for a 2nd civil war (so I left alone).

[i]then why the tea?[/i]

not just why the tea, but why the tea bags?

the bag is important, because tea was not bagged for steeping until the 20th century--the reference to the US war for independence is therefore misleading and anachronistic.

rather, they want to suggest a gang-teabaggery of the president, but with plausible deniability granted by a simpleton's misreading of history--have little gonad-mashing jests in private, but act very severe about taxation and whatnot in public. it's all genitals jokes, which, incidentally, has been all that the rightwing has had to offer at the national level since the time of clinton (gingrach revolution, after all, amounted to a very expensive series of hearings w/r/t jizz on a dress, IIRC).

like i joked upthread, slap 'em with 18 USC 871 a couple times, and it'll focus the protests really quickly into something recognizable, if not necessarily sensible.

[quote name='sologdin' post='1754044' date='Apr 13 2009, 19.17']rather, they want to suggest a gang-teabaggery of the president[/quote]
I would not want to take my genitals anywhere near the new President... Now the new First Lady, OTOH... That's a bird of a different feather all together!

[quote name='the Blauer Dragon' post='1753823' date='Apr 14 2009, 10.07']I work long hours for low pay.[/quote]

Join a union then. Oh wait, Republicans hate unions as well...

BTW, the vast majority of Americans did receive a tax cut out of Obama's stimulus package. Those who didn't, to put it bluntly, didn't get one because they didn't need one. Anyone complaining about Obama raising their taxes is either (1) extremely wealthy, or (2) a moron.

Archived