Community - Season 2 [SPOILERS]

Brude

Season 2 started tonight and I would say hasn't missed a beat.

Betty White as the new psycho teacher, Senor Chang joining the study group...so far so good.

What do you all think?

Season 2 started tonight and I would say hasn't missed a beat.

Betty White as the new psycho teacher, Senor Chang joining the study group...so far so good.

What do you all think?

It was funny but not hilarious. 30 Rock was way better than it tonight. However Chang was awesome as usual and they did something with Britta's hair that makes her look better. They really need to cut back on the Annie/Britta/Jeff stuff though and have more from Chang and Starburns. I quite liked Starburns succinct appraisal of Jeff's good work with the group.

I have no idea how it won almost zero awards. But it still has my love.

Community wasn't firing on all cylinders last night but I have it in my heart to forgive. Last season started off strong and was invincible by the end. I expect this season to be the same. And that doesn't mean last episode was bereft of any paralyzed-by-laughter moments - the Jeff/Britta balloon had me dying, of course the blow gun and the dart that landed right in the middle of Starburns's star, all of Annie's faces during the Jeff and Britta reveal, and the rap! I loved the rap.

I enjoyed the episode, anyone know the song that played @ the opening?

found it, its called The Fratellis - Baby Fratelli google never fails

Official MV:

I'm a big Fratellis fan. Most people haven't heard of them, but they have sold out often enough that you probably had.

Their

And of Course they are featured heavily in Hott Fuzz. Run Fat Boy Run, and mostly every movie by that group except Shaun of the Dead.

My personal favorite would be

On topic: Loved the show last night. My favorite? The George Clooney impersonator. He killed it in about 10 seconds of screen time.

I'm not going to get into what's better or funnier, since I don't really care. Community just makes me laugh the whole way through. Right from Abed's "And were back!" through to Chang's Gollum impersonation, I'm giggling, snickering, belly laughing the whole time. The show just packs in so many jokes in twenty minutes. Even britta, who was always a bit of a weak link, is hilarious now - the expression on her face during the hate/fake makeout with Jeff was gold.

And I've had the Abed wedding song stuck in my head ever since. "Abed hired an Irish singerrr, Britta would ya marry, would ya marry, would ya marry Jeff Wingerrr."

They also get major props for using Betty White and actually writing a funny character that isn't just "outrageous old woman who says outrageous things".

I enjoyed it, but wasn't brilliant. I dislike love triangles of any sort, so this was kinda annoying. I was hoping they'd be more ironic about it, but anyway, hopefully in future episodes they stay away.

also, i expected more outrage over jeff kissing annie, and not just letting the group come back together just cos.

Even britta, who was always a bit of a weak link, is hilarious now - the expression on her face during the hate/fake makeout with Jeff was gold.

I don't think she's been a weak link. She and Jeff have both been the straight-men for the show (straight-persons?), most of the gags are set up around them. It's never been exclusive that way, but generally it has been. It's actually a very hard thing to do (according to actors) and requires a different kind of comic timing.

They also get major props for using Betty White and actually writing a funny character that isn't just "outrageous old woman who says outrageous things".

Yeah they went with a stretch there: outrageous old woman who drinks her own urine.

I enjoyed it. I like how they kind of blew up the whole love triangle in an attempt to get rid of it.

One of my favorite it moments was right at the beginning when Peirce was sleeping under a younger picture of himself that looked like it had been a head shot when Chevy Chase was a huge movie star.

I'm not going to get into what's better or funnier, since I don't really care. Community just makes me laugh the whole way through.

Well said. It's hard to pick out certain bits when almost the entire episode has me rolling.

I really wish this were on HBO or Showtime, though, because I think those extra 5-8 minutes would kill. My only complaint about most episodes is that they're over too fast!

I think the brilliance of this show, as featured in the Season 2 premier, is its self-awareness of TV show conventions. The writers know that the plots have been done to death before and the formulaic nature of sitcoms. And the show points them out with both nostalgic affection and satiric mockery. For example, Abed talking about whether or not Jeff has past friends so they can move on to standard self-contained sitcom episodes apart from the soap-opery stuff is likely in reference to the next episode where we do meet one of Jeff's old lawyer friends.

Agreed, I love how the writers have a sense of what the audience thinks of the show and where it's going, and with a wink and a nod incorporates that into the dialogue.

Whimsical is how I would describe this show. And not in a corny Glee way.

It's just enjoyable all the way through.

I think the brilliance of this show, as featured in the Season 2 premier, is its self-awareness of TV show conventions. The writers know that the plots have been done to death before and the formulaic nature of sitcoms. And the show points them out with both nostalgic affection and satiric mockery. For example, Abed talking about whether or not Jeff has past friends so they can move on to standard self-contained sitcom episodes apart from the soap-opery stuff is likely in reference to the next episode where we do meet one of Jeff's old lawyer friends.

Yes, exactly this. And Abed's comments about preferring the paint-ball type episode and distinguishing formulaic TV sitcoms from his "real" life. ("TV has plot, structure.....and a likable male protagonist"). Abed is the writer's plant to partially narrate the meta parodies.

We even heard Britta compared to Rachel, before they tore down the love triangle. At the end of the last season it looked like it might fall into a predictable love triangle story, and then they pulled the rug out from under it in the very first episode of the new season.

It's just genius.

And I agree with Brady that there are so many jokes flying by, from all directions. Chang has some great ones, but Abed, Pierce and Jeff all throw out a lot too. Sometimes I think I need to watch it at 80% speed so that I don't miss anything while laughing at the last joke.

Archived