New Exercise & Fitness Thead

lessthanluke

Random weightlifting question:

Although the majority of good weight lifters use split jerks in competition, I've seen lots of elite male lifters use the power jerk or squat jerk. However, I have never seen a world-class female lifter use anything else than split jerks. What's the reason for this? Are there any exceptions?

Anyone with advice for someone with bad knees? Mine are terrible - from a combination of genetics, hard use (get your minds outta the gutter - I mean sports and running) and occasional mild rheumatoid arthritis flare-ups. If anyone has ideas for strengthening, diet, or supplements that might help with the pain and make stairs not such an asshole to deal with, I'm open to ideas!

I worked construction with a guy who blew one knew out in football and needed surgery on the other from a car accident. Anyhow he drank some apple cider vinegar everyday and he said it made a huge difference. A cursory search on the internet yields some promising information about it also.

Most of the people on here know way more than me about diet and exercise and this was not suggested so I will be waiting to have my head bitten off.

RAWR. PR on the deadlift.

Awesome work, Eef!!

Although the majority of good weight lifters use split jerks in competition, I've seen lots of elite male lifters use the power jerk or squat jerk. However, I have never seen a world-class female lifter use anything else than split jerks. What's the reason for this? Are there any exceptions?

No clue, man. I've always thought it was a preference type of thing.

How much is a giant tire to roll over? That looks like fun. Sure I can get an old tractor tire from one of the million farmers around here.

Although, I can just imagine my uncles telling me how much work they have for me if they ever knew I was just tipping a tire over and over and over...

first warm weekend of the year in the uk.

thursday, drinking

friday, drinking

saturday, drinking

sundan, drinking

monday, ran for 30 minutes, spewed my guts up afterwards.

stupid stupid boy.

wow, that was some weekend :)

today i ran a bit under 10km (convert it to miles yourself, i use civilized measurements :P) in 46:30.

also, i signed up for belgrade half-marathon so now it's official: i'm running 21,1km on sunday.

it's been 9 years since my previous half-marathon, but i've had some decent training this winter (except in january, when i took a break because of snowboarding-related back-injury) and am quite confident i'll make it in under 2 hours (that's the plan at least)

Ran today, was supposed to be 3 miles but I miscalculated and missed a turn so it ended up being 2.5. Just as well, I barely survived as it was! It was 85 and humid, which I am not used to, and I didn't exactly eat well today (lunch was Cold Stone ice cream, oops), nor did I drink enough water. Still, I'm just glad that I am finally able to get into a work out routine! Huzzah for dry land!

Ran today, was supposed to be 3 miles but I miscalculated and missed a turn so it ended up being 2.5. Just as well, I barely survived as it was! It was 85 and humid, which I am not used to, and I didn't exactly eat well today (lunch was Cold Stone ice cream, oops), nor did I drink enough water. Still, I'm just glad that I am finally able to get into a work out routine! Huzzah for dry land!

Ha, good for you!

I went on a 12 mile bike ride today.. and got paid for it. Being part of the 'Bicycle EMS' team is paying off. Fucking sunburned to hell though.

I envy the cardio skills of you all. I'm getting better, but can only run for a quarter of a mile before needing a break at the moment. How people can run 100 miles non-stop baffles me.

The 80+ world record in the marathon was just broken - 3:25:43.

PR'd in overhead squat, and got a 15 minute Nancy, for those who know what I am talking about. (My first time doing it -- running for time is my kryptonite)

Congratulations! I can sympathize with you on the run. I've been working on my two mile time in preparation for the APFT at basic training and just recently got my PR. I had the hardest time breaking 13:30 seconds :stillsick:

How much did you overhead squat? I'm curious how I compare to you more elite athletes :P

I am not an elite athlete. And I genuinely try not to talk numbers other than + and -.

Thanks for the congrats, folks, it was a great day. :D

No clue, although I think the women are just smarter. The biggest weights have traditionally been lifted with the split jerk (though there are exceptions), it allows greater stability and leads to more successful attempts in the long run if you are doing it right. But like Stego said, it's mostly a case of personal preference.

I always find it fascinating how deceiving appearances can be, especially with regards to strength. This morning I watched a heavily muscular man deadlift 300lbs as his 1RM, then immediately afterwards a skinny teenager goes up to the barbell and deadlifts 450lbs for multiple reps.

alguien - Strictly speaking, Nancy is 5 rounds for time of: a 400m run followed by 15 overhead squats @ 95 lbs. So 2000m total run, 75 total OHS.

As Darth Vader would say, most impressive.

I gotta imagine those last few laps are interesting after all the squats.

Archived