[No spoilers] Funniest lines of episode 4

QoT to Varys: What happens when the non-existent bumps against the decrepit

This!

Also when Tywin tells Cersei "I wish YOU could manipulate him."

And I can't believe no one has mentioned this, but the QoT telling Cersei that sons yearn for the grave! Cersei's face is like, "I wanna be suspicious of your intentions when you say that" but the QoT looks so innocent and earnest. Meanwhile we know she's plotting Joff's death.

Beric: "So which of us is running?"

The Hound: "Untie these ropes and we'll find out."

More badass than funny I suppose, but I still LOL'd.

The Hound can be pretty funny. His "You're still masons, and carpenters, and peasants" (minus me getting the professions wrong) had the same effect on me.

Forgot this one also -

QoT: "Why shouldn't I take an interest? She's an interesting girl."

Varys: "Is she?"

QoT: "No, not particularly."

This was surely a shout out to all the Sansa doubters

Anything that came out of QoT's mouth.

YES. She's a straight talking delight; we never know what she'll say next. She even stopped Varys in his tracks momentarily. :lol: Love it.

My husband got a kick out of the Night's Watch scene with Grenn and Dolorous Edd shoveling out the hog pen at Craster's:

Grenn: "When people talk about the Night's Watch, they never mention the shoveling."

Edd: "Or the shit."

Grenn: "They tell you about honor, pardoning crimes, and protecting the realm, but shoveling really is most of it."

Edd: "And getting attacked or killed or worse."

Grenn: "And that. But when you're not getting attacked or killed, usually you're shoveling."

Edd: "Ah, look. More shit. I was starting to wonder what to do with the rest of me day."

As a project manager who fights fires all day long, this hits close to home.

The funniest line has to be "Dracarys." Cracks me up every time she says it. I use it at meetings when someone disagrees with me. They always look over their shoulders and brace for the flames.

That was funny, not so much the line but Varys' reaction. He was like "WTF?" The first time I've seen him confused.

Knowing Varys, it was probably an act. Let her feel high and mighty, and even a little bit arrogant, perhaps even insult him: as long as he gets what he wants, he's happy.

Yep, Joff laughing at the Targaryen crypts was probably the most funny scene of the episode.

Is it just me or Joff is turning from a love-to-hate character into a comic-relief character?

I don't think that it's so much that he's now comic relief, it's just that he's so damn despicable that it hasn't just crossed the line, it's circled back around into being freakin' hilarious. It's just that nothing he does really shocks us anymore (I think the scene with the prostitutes was the point at which we can say that became the case) that the only appropriate response at this point is to laugh.

Not to mention that part of the reason book readers find him funny now is because we're gleefully anticipating his ultimate fate, so I think that's a factor - we laugh because every horrible thing he does just means that we know it will be that much sweeter when it happens.

Archived