College football 2013 November: Ore-GONE

Kalbear

To be fair, though, State did sort of have everything to play for. They had to win to be bowl eligible. Ole Miss didn't have as much riding on that game.

I'll wait on passing judgment on this season until after the bowl game, but Freeze has lost a lot of equity with fans the past couple of weeks. To your point, I'm not at all surprised that we lost the game - State did have a lot more to play for, we historically have trouble winning in Starkville and it's always been a series where you can "throw out the records." It's the manner in which we lost that I find troubling.

The last two games (this one in particular) have exposed some glaring weaknesses for us on the offensive side of the ball, both in execution and playcalling. I know that we're not some great team or whatever but I had at least gotten the impression that we could consistently move the ball and put points on the scoreboard. When a team led by an offensive-minded coach struggles to even string together a few first downs against an average defense, fans can't help but be alarmed. We also wasted a fine effort by our defense last night. If you'd told me before the game that we'd hold State to 10 points in regulation I'd have assumed we'd won handily.

I have had an extremely busy week, but I just wanted to stop by here and say that Thanksgiving is just different without the Texas/aTm game...

I don't care if they are playing in seperate conferences. They should still play each other every year.

Oregons run defense is a huge issue. Teams now understand all they have to do is run power and ISO plays over and over for great results. It's a shocking display of ineptitude. That a team as bad at running the ball as osu could do it at will - they had their most running yards this season midway through the third quarter - is telling of a really big issue.

With Fresno losing, we now just need Northern Illinois to get downed in the MAC championship game to avoid an absolute joke of a team making a BCS bowl for a second straight year.

You sure Northern Illinois is a joke? Because I am not. They could be legit.

Happy thanksgiving ya'll.

One thing I'm grateful for, and I couldn't have imagined saying this before the season, is the tickets I got yesterday to go to the Buffalo vs. Bowling Green tomorrow afternoon.* Both teams are 8-3 (6-1), winner takes the MAC East and will play Northern Illinois (#14) for the conference title. Exciting times. Granted, outside the OSU and Baylor games at the start of the season (where the Bulls got destroyed), the competition hasn't exactly been great, but 8-3 is 8-3; and that's important when we've only had one prior winning season since moving up from I-AA in 1999. It'll my first game since 2008 too, back when I was a student, and haven't really been anywhere on campus since then either; so there's that too.

*The MAC loves putting games on Tuesdays and Fridays; guess they figure if there's no major conference games, people are more likely to pay attention

Well, it was a fun time; particularly with the game at Ralph Wilson. The stadium, uh, wasn't exactly full, but nevermind that. A really disappointing loss though, and it knocks Buffalo down to 4th in the MAC. That means no automatic bowl bid, but I think we may still be able to get in somewhere at 8-4.

You sure Northern Illinois is a joke? Because I am not. They could be legit.

Their "signature wins" are road wins over Iowa and Purdue; however, its tough going 12-0 no matter what your schedule is. And they haven't just gone 12-0, they've mostly been blowing teams out of the water. Their average margin of victory their last 6 games has been 27 points. If they beat Bowling Green in the MAC Championship, I think they deserve their shot.

Their "signature wins" are road wins over Iowa and Purdue; however, its tough going 12-0 no matter what your schedule is. And they haven't just gone 12-0, they've mostly been blowing teams out of the water. Their average margin of victory their last 6 games has been 27 points. If they beat Bowling Green in the MAC Championship, I think they deserve their shot.

Yeah, that's pretty much how I feel. Their schedule has been crap, but there's not a lot they can do about that. They're a MAC team.

Yeah, that's pretty much how I feel. Their schedule has been crap, but there's not a lot they can do about that. They're a MAC team.

They have minimal NFL talent. They could probably finish around 7-5 to 8-4 in a major conference this year, so they aren't completely terrible, but they are no where close to deserving a berth in a BCS bowl. Those Boise and TCU teams that prompted the rule changes to include automatic bids were full of NFL talentt and were just really, really good teams overall. Northern Illinois can't put the athletes on the field to matchup with CFBs elite. When they face OSU/Baylor in the Fiesta Bowl it won't be particularly close.

Archived