Small Questions v 10018

Stubby

Would this count? It's from Theon's first chapter in ACOK when he's making his comeback at the Iron Islands.

The Myraham was rounding a wooded point. Below the pine-clad bluffs, a dozen fishing boats were pulling in their nets. The big cog stayed well out from them, tacking. Theon moved to the bow for a better view. He saw the castle first, the stronghold of the Botleys. When he was a boy it had been timber and wattle, but Robert Baratheon had razed that structure to the ground. Lord Sawane had rebuilt in stone, for now a small square keep crowned the hill. Pale green flags drooped from the squat corner towers, each emblazoned with a shoal of silvery fish.

Would this count? It's from Theon's first chapter in ACOK when he's making his comeback at the Iron Islands.

The Myraham was rounding a wooded point. Below the pine-clad bluffs, a dozen fishing boats were pulling in their nets. The big cog stayed well out from them, tacking. Theon moved to the bow for a better view. He saw the castle first, the stronghold of the Botleys. When he was a boy it had been timber and wattle, but Robert Baratheon had razed that structure to the ground. Lord Sawane had rebuilt in stone, for now a small square keep crowned the hill. Pale green flags drooped from the squat corner towers, each emblazoned with a shoal of silvery fish.

That may count.

Harrenhal and the Twins are also pretty recent, although not the newest. Queenscrown is very close as well.

That may count.

Harrenhal and the Twins are also pretty recent, although not the newest. Queenscrown is very close as well.

While The Twins were built recently relative to most other castles in westeros, they were still built decently long ago.

It was near midday when their vanguard came in sight of the Twins, where the Lords of the Crossing had their seat.
The Green Fork ran swift and deep here, but the Freys had spanned it many centuries past and grown rich off the coin men paid them to cross.

It had taken the Freys three generations to complete their bridge; when they were done they’d thrown up stout timber keeps on either bank, so no one might cross without their leave.
The timber had long since given way to stone. The Twins-two squat, ugly, formidable castles, identical in every respect, with the bridge arching between-had guarded the crossing for centuries.

Queenscrown could predate the Targayens as well, we have no idea when it was built other than before Jaehaerys and Alysanne visited.

That may count.

Harrenhal is from before the Conquest, since Aegon and Balerion burn Harren the Black and his sons alive inside the castle. Harrenhal had taken three generations to complete as well, and during the reign of Harren the Black, the final touches had been made.

Harrenhal is from before the Conquest, since Aegon and Balerion burn Harren the Black and his sons alive inside the castle. Harrenhal had taken three generations to complete as well, and during the reign of Harren the Black, the final touches had been made.

I was saying Harrenhal and Twins just to show other relatively close castles. Twins were there 300 years before Aegon's Landing, and Harrhenal is older than decent. The most recent ones that we know of are probably Red Keep, Summerhall and Whitewalls.

Does Davos have a castle of sorts? Maybe that one would count. Also the keep of the Cleganes?

IIRC Harranhal took 40 years to complete as Harran the black built it as a monument to himself, and it was completed on the very day that Aegon the Conquerer and his dragons arrived in KL

Is Jorah being a hebrew name and a biblical character a conscious reference by GRRM or is it just coincidental?

http://www.biblical-baby-names.com/meaning-of-jorah.html

*shrugs* hard to tell as long as noone asks GRRM. Fwiw, it's also the name of the semitic moon god after whom Jericho is supposedly named. I personally wouldn't base my whole interpretation of Jorah's character on either of those references though.

*shrugs* hard to tell as long as noone asks GRRM. Fwiw, it's also the name of the semitic moon god after whom Jericho is supposedly named. I personally wouldn't base my whole interpretation of Jorah's character on either of those references though.

Huh, you're right.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yarikh

I mean it is bizarre to name a quasi Anglo Saxon/Norse fantasy warrior that in the first place.

I'm sure this has been asked before, but if Aegon IV legitimized his bastards... would it really matter if (f)Aegon is a Blackfyre? I know it would have before King Bob won the throne when there was a surplus of Targs.... At this point though, wouldn't Targ loyalists and possibly Dany take what they can get?

I'm sure this has been asked before, but if Aegon IV legitimized his bastards... would it really matter if (f)Aegon is a Blackfyre? I know it would have before King Bob won the throne when there was a surplus of Targs.... At this point though, wouldn't Targ loyalists and possibly Dany take what they can get?

I believe there are a few threads about that. It is not a small question, but there maybe other Targaryens out there, that would have a stronger/more recent claim.

Blackfyres always caused wars and suffering That is what the folk remembers. So fAegon cannot appear as a Blackfyre.

I remember that quote in Jaime's ADWD chapter. It was something like "As long as men remember the wrongs done to their forebears, they will never stop fighting."

Point is, there are those who still remember the wrongs that Blackfyre has done to them, but those who remember their forebears who fought for them.

I think.

I believe there are a few threads about that. It is not a small question, but there maybe other Targaryens out there, that would have a stronger/more recent claim.

This, and also keep in mind the male line of the Blackfyres was ended forty or fifty years ago. Going off the most common "Aegon is a Blackfyre theory", he's not actually a Blackfyre so much as he is the son of Illyrio and a whore with Blackfyre blood. Whose gonna rise up to put him on the throne? It's much easier to pass the kid off as Aegon, with Jon Connington there to vouch for him.

Archived