Scottish independence part da

Ser Scot A Ellison

The Mull of Kintyre stiffened and grew harder, almost rocky beneath its curling mass of grass and moss, strove out across the void to intimacy and deep union, plunging deep into Loch Foyle. A dripping line of islands, glistening like a string of pearls the only trace of the big swinging Mull.

So this is how the Isle of Cumbrae came to be. I must have missed that part of the Geography class.

I think it would be cool if England got a new flag after Scotland leaves. They should do a Cross of St. George Flag, with red stripes against a white background, and a black-or-gold dragon centered on it from a side-ways profile.

What are the chances of current Jacobite pretender (btw who is it?) being crowned a Monarch of newly independent Scotland and starting a war of revenge against the English?

The current Jacobite heir is Franz, Duke of Bavaria (since he hasn't actually claimed the British crown, I don't think it's accurate to call him a pretender). If you wait a couple of generations, it'll pass to the Prince of Liechtenstein.

Even stupider: what about Australia's and New Zealand's flags?

We were settled by the UK as it existed in the nineteenth and twentieth centuries (Scottish as well as English). The antipodean flags aren't changing, though frankly, I'd replace our flag with a silver fern/black background in a heartbeat. Much more distinctive, and meaningful, with the added bonus of conceivably looking like a pirate flag from a distance.

What are the chances of current Jacobite pretender (btw who is it?) being crowned a Monarch of newly independent Scotland and starting a war of revenge against the English?

Salmond wants to keep Lizzie plus Franz has has repeatedly said he wants shit all to do with the Jacobite claim.

And at this point it seems a tad redundant to replace a monarch of German descent with an actual German all over the fact that we used to have a Scottish King of French Descent

The current Jacobite heir is Franz, Duke of Bavaria (since he hasn't actually claimed the British crown, I don't think it's accurate to call him a pretender). If you wait a couple of generations, it'll pass to the Prince of Liechtenstein.

I was just reading up on this and Franz can also claim the kingship of France, along with the British throne.

Anyone want to make a ridiculous comment about subjugation and their Irish brothers?

Yes, we English have suddenly decided to stop subjugating the Northern Irish. In recognition of our disgraceful behaviour towards Scotland's former king, Mel Gibson, we intend to make ammends by giving them Northern Ireland as a going away present. We are sure that the two countries shared histories and similar cultural traits (bagpipes, the Gaelic language, sectarianism, etc.) will allow a new non imperialist future for these two oppressed nations.

We reitirate, we are not keeping Northern Ireland.

You can't make us.

I also believe that the bonds of family, friendship, history and culture between Scotland and the other parts of the British Isles are precious. England, Wales and Northern Ireland will always be our family, friends and closest neighbours. But with Scotland as an independent country, our relationship will be one of equals. I have no doubt that it will flourish.

Alex Salmond should get with the subjugation programme. He'd win more votes.

I was just reading up on this and Franz can also claim the kingship of France, along with the British throne.

He'd have to fight off the usual pack of Orléanists, Legitimists and Bonapartists first.

We were settled by the UK as it existed in the nineteenth and twentieth centuries (Scottish as well as English). The antipodean flags aren't changing, though frankly, I'd replace our flag with a silver fern/black background in a heartbeat. Much more distinctive, and meaningful, with the added bonus of conceivably looking like a pirate flag from a distance.

That makes sense. I was considering if Australia and NZ used the Union Jack in their flags just because they were still part of the British Commonwealth (technically Elizabeth II is the Queen of those nations, right?) and thus they would reproduce any changes in the British flag, but as you pointed that it has more to do with historical reasons, I see that they won't change.

I can figure that you're Kiwi, am I right? I understand that the silver fern is a national symbol, but what's special about the black? I thought the All Blacks worn black in order to look bad ass, I hadn't realized that it was some sort of national color.

I'm pretty sure it's only the Union Jack when it's at sea, otherwise it's the Union Flag.

That makes sense. I was considering if Australia and NZ used the Union Jack in their flags just because they were still part of the British Commonwealth (technically Elizabeth II is the Queen of those nations, right?) and thus they would reproduce any changes in the British flag, but as you pointed that it has more to do with historical reasons, I see that they won't change.

She's also technically Lizzie I of those countries.

Archived