Best Books You Read in 2013

delete this account pls

It's that time of year I guess, but instead of focusing on the best books that came out in 2013, why not have a thread for the best books you read in 2013, regardless of when they were published. Because unless you're a reviewer, most readers aren't so ferociously current. Well, I'm not anyway.

Browsing my goodreads looking at all the books I gave 5 stars this year;

Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell. Fantastic. A bit of a showoff book, with Micthell effortlessly switching between genres, prose styles, time periods etc, but in the best way. This one really stayed with me and it's something I think I'm going to read again and again every few years.

Winter's Bone by Daniel Woodrell. As good as everyone says it is.

Tinker, Taylor, Soldier, Spy by John LeCarre. This was a reread but I liked it even more the second time. George Smiley is one of the great fictional characters of the 20th century.

Smiley's People, also by John LeCarre. The conclusion of the so-called 'Karla Trilogy' is every bit as good as the beginning. The middle book, Honourable Schoolboy is a bit of a weak-link in the series (though far from bad, it just doesn't quite measure up)

The Round House by Louise Erdrich. A coming-of-age story set on a Native American reservation in the 1980's. Charming and harrowing in about equal measure. Erdrich should be a much bigger writer than she is.

The Sisters Brothers by Patrik DeWitt. A funny western about two murderous brothers. Enjoyed it a lot but in retrospect Im not sure if it's really up there with the other books on this list.

The Sinai Tapestry by Edward Whittlemore. The first book in the Jerusalem Quartet, a little known and hard to find series that has finally been released on kindle. Regarded by many as a lost cult classic.

An Instance of the Fingerpost by Iain Pears. A murder-mystery set in Oxford in the early 1660's, told by multiple unreliable narrators. Each new character's account throws doubt over the previous one as the story becomes more complex and larger in scope. Amazingly well done. Don't worry, Pears doesnt leave you hanging, but he also doesn't lay all his cards on the table either. Somehow he manages to have his cake and eat it too.

The Guns of August by Barbara Tuchman. An excellent and thoroughly entertaining account of the lead-up to, and the first month of, the first world war. Looking forward to reading more Tuchman in the future.

Live By Night by Dennis Lehane. Probably my favourite read of 2013. A terrific gangster story. It might not be hugely original, but everything it does, it does perfectly. This is kinda what I wish Boardwalk Empire was.

Nothing that actually came out in 2013, hence this thread. Looking back, it's actually quite a nicely varied list. A good reflection of the refined Rennaisance Man I truly am, imo.

To save space I'll just give a brief impression, and link the titles to my Goodreads reviews for anyone who wants to know more.

The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood. One of the most powerfully affecting novels I've ever read.

A Bend in the River and Guerrillas by V.S. Naipaul. Naipaul is probably the world's greatest living author, and these are two of his greatest works.

Your Republic Is Calling You by Kim Young-ha. A novel about life, change, and choice, set in S. Korea.

Hunger by Knut Hamsun. A hugely important and extremely compelling novel.

Atomised by Michel Houellebecq. A hateful, filthy, and profoundly moving masterpiece.

The Clown by Heinrich Boll. A thought provoking novel about the moral struggles of postwar West Germany.

Replay by Ken Grimwood

A Civil Campaign by Lois McMaster Bujold

Talulla Rising by Glen Duncan

London Falling by Paul Cornell

The Sacred Band by David Anthony Durham

The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman

'Salem's Lot by Stephen King

The Sinai Tapestry by Edward Whittlemore. The first book in the Jerusalem Quartet, a little known and hard to find series that has finally been released on kindle. Regarded by many as a lost cult classic.

Have you read Quin's Shanghai Circus? If so, how does it compare to the quartet? I read it quite awhile ago, and loved it. I've also already purchased, and plan on reading the quartet but I'm curious about how they match up.

- The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle - My second Murakami novel, after Kafka on the Beach, and I absolutely loved it.

- White Noise - I had read some pretty good DeLillo novels before, but thought this was amazing.

- We, the Drowned - Just finished this. Jensen is a great storyteller.

- The Spy Who Came In from the Cold - While Smiley is a great character, the fact that he is only mentioned briefly here didn't lessen my enjoyment of this. Also, I wanted to mention that I'm going to start reading The Honourable Schoolboy today.

- Why Be Happy When You Could Be Normal? - A fascinating autobiography.

- The Thin Man - I really enjoyed Hammett's writing style.

Have you read Quin's Shanghai Circus? If so, how does it compare to the quartet? I read it quite awhile ago, and loved it. I've also already purchased, and plan on reading the quartet but I'm curious about how they match up.

Planning on but I haven't yet. But the foreword to Sinai talked about Quin's a lot and I got the impression they were both pretty similar in terms of tone and style.

I have so far given three novels five stars on Goodreads:

Gilead by Marilynne Robinson. Slow-paced, but I really got into it. Didn't want to put it down.

Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy. Well, I haven't read it before. Why? Beats me. Loved it

Syngja (that's "to sing", but without the to for those of you who don't really read Norwegian. Reason I don't translate it as merely "sing" is that in Norwegian, it can't double as imperative) by Lars Amund Vaage. Self-biographical to some extent (how much I don't know) about his autist daughter, and their relationship. Wonderfully written. Poetic at times.

If I have to limit the list to five stars reviews from goodreads (and not including rereads), it would only leave:

Wool by Hugh Howey,

Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell,

Neither Here Nor There: Travels in Europe by Bill Bryson,

and Reamde by Neal Stephenson.

But I would also add a few four stars:

Police by Jo Nesbo,

The Republic of Thieves by Scott Lynch,

Przedksiężycowi #2 by Anna Kańtoch,

Dodger by Terry Pratchett,

Czarne by Anna Kańtoch,

and Dzienniki kołymskie by Jacek Hugo-Bader.

Not counting rereads, in no particular order:

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green. I called the twist a few chapters in but I still cried when it happened.

More Than This by Patrick Ness. I loved Chaos Walking, I thought The Crane Wife was pretty meh, and this one was just surprisingly good.

Mr. Penumbra's 24 Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan. I strongly suspect this one appealed to me so much because of my personal circumstances and because I identified with the main character to an uncanny degree. It also made me miss Bay Area so much.

The Forever War by Joe Haldeman. I know, how on Earth had I not read that before? It's a great book. Read it.

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline. It's not a very deep book, but it's a very sweet geeky reverie with enough dystopian undertones to make it interesting. As a person whose greatest wish as a kid was to live in a video game, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

The Interestings by Meg Wolitzer. I've never read so many 'grown up' books (I don't even know what to call them, lit fic? mainstream?) as I have this year, and while some were a huge miss for me (I have no clue why people liked Gone Girl so much, for example), this one was a hit.

Surprisingly, I think I've read more current year books than any time before. Even as a reviewer, I was never so up to date. I blame Kindle.

Anathem by Neal Stephenson

I've read this book this year itself. So intense world building and plot developing in 900 pages give or take, with a great deal of mathematics and science. Definitely inspiring. It's my favorite too.

At least two people have books on here that I thought were dreadful :)

My Name is Asher Lev - Chaim Potok (thanks to HowdyPhillip)

The Golden Age - Michal Ajvaz

Invisible Cities - Italo Calvino

Gormenghast - Mervyn Peake

China Mountain Zhang - Maureen McHugh

Suttree - Cormac McCarthy

Based on my Goodreads five star rating, it looks like Lois McMaster Bujold was a hit for me!

The Curse of Chalion

The Warrior's Apprentice

The Vor Game

All by Lois McMaster Bujold

The Emperor's Edge

Encrypted

By Lindsay Buroker

Quiet by Susan Cain

1491 by Charles Mann

Dragon Haven by Robin Hobb

The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch (a re-read)

Possibly The Black Lung Captain by Chris Wooding. I'm only a quarter of the way through, but I'm liking it more than Retribution Falls and at this point it is a five star.

Friday Night Lights by HG Bissinger

Boxers and Saints by Gene Luen Yang

The False Prince by Jennifer Nielsen

Fortress Frontier by Myke Cole

The Red Knight by Miles Cameron

Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas

Batman: Year One by Frank Miller

The Republic of Thieves by Scott Lynch

Archived