[tPatQ Spoilers] How to Kill Your Dragon

I know dragons aren't indestructible, and are mortal as Jorah said in ASoS "It isn't easy to kill a dragon, but it can be done."

To be fair the dragons in the pit were at a extreme disadvantage, they were chained up and in a pit that did not allow them to fly away or maneuver very well.

True, but there is also Syrax who wasn't chained yet attacked on the ground and was killed. Dragons are especially vulnerable when grounded.

Dragons are much harder to kill when in flight, although dragons have been killed in flight. Meraxes's death I think was a lucky shot as the dragon likely wouldn't have stayed still in the air long enough for people to accurately aim a siege weapon designed for large, stationary or slow-moving targets to have hit the dragon in the eye, and I don't think the Dornishmen firing knew about the dragon's weak spot either. Just as it was also luck that the Myrish soldier managed to be given the opportunity to throw a grappling hook at the swooping dragon's belly.

High winds seem to inhibit dragons in flight as well, and keep them grounded as indicated by Meraxes being grounded in The Last Storm.

That is not to say that I agreed with the angry mob killing the dragons in the pit. I think they shouldn't have killed the dragons, but, to borrow a quote from Arya, "They should have killed the masters."

I definitely wouldn't call them "easy" to kill. The dragons in the pit were chained up, and still killed thousands before being killed. And one of them died from the gates of the dragon pit falling on top of it. The eyes definitely seem to be their weakness, which is not really surprising.

Also lol, why am I not surprised what you took away from TPatQ is that Dany and Drogon will be easily defeated.

Also lol, why am I not surprised what you took away from TPatQ is that Dany and Drogon will be easily defeated.

Because thats a part of the message of the story. Dragons =/= invincibility. The other side of it is: Dragons = bad juju for everyone else. You need to remember how young Drogon is. If these other dragons could be hacked to bits by a massive mob of smallfolk, or munched on by a larger dragon (or two smaller ones), or brought down with arrows and other junk, and these dragons were older, whos to say Dany and Drogon are really safe? Whos also to say they wont wreak havoc and burn thousands of people in the process?

Aegon III had the rest of the dragons killed. Gee i wonder why? PTSD does that to you.

I definitely wouldn't call them "easy" to kill. The dragons in the pit were chained up, and still killed thousands before being killed. And one of them died from the gates of the dragon pit falling on top of it. The eyes definitely seem to be their weakness, which is not really surprising.

"Easy" is a relative term. Compared with the invincibility so many people seem to attribute to the dragons, the ones in the novella did go down easy. I said that the novella shows that dragons can be defeated and that it doesn't take some super army or a miracle to do it. It shows the idea that Dany's dragons make her eventual victory inevitable is complete wishful thinking. It might also help to remember that next to Syrax, Caraxes, Vhagar, Tessarion, Sunfyre, etc., Drogon is still a baby. I would love to know what one of the Dance-era Targs would make of Dany's dragons, if they would count them as battle-ready or not. I doubt it. More likely, they seem comparable to Moondancer and Stormcloud -- small and still growing. In the grand scheme of things, Dany's dragons are still juveniles, and the novella shows that substantially older, stronger, bigger dragons can be killed.

I didn't say that they were "easily defeated." Please stop putting words in my mouth. I said that the novella shows that dragons can be defeated and that it doesn't take some super army or a miracle to do it. It shows the idea that Dany's dragons make her eventual victory inevitable is complete wishful thinking. It might also help to remember that next to Syrax, Caraxes, Vhagar, Tessarion, Sunfyre, etc., Drogon is still a baby. I would love to know what one of the Dance-era Targs would make of Dany's dragons, if they would count them as battle-ready or not. I doubt it. More likely, they seem comparable to Moondancer and Stormcloud -- small and still growing. In the grand scheme of things, Dany's dragons are still juveniles, and the novella shows that substantially older, stronger, bigger dragons can be killed.

Does seem that her dragons wont be the nuclear weapons they are thought to be by the world at large. They seem more like the effect that war elephants had. They had great psychological effects on the enemy, but they needed to be used properly or they were not effective. Still there is the fact that they make one heck of a rallying cry for anyone even remotely hoping for a Targaryen restoration as it adds to the veneer of her "claim and ability".

Does seem that her dragons wont be the nuclear weapons they are thought to be by the world at large. They seem more like the effect that war elephants had. They had great psychological effects on the enemy, but they needed to be used properly or they were not effective. Still there is the fact that they make one heck of a rallying cry for anyone even remotely hoping for a Targaryen restoration as it adds to the veneer of her "claim and ability".

I agree that this will be their biggest value, not so much actually riding them in battle, unless they get a hell of a lot bigger in a shorter period of time.

God part of me hopes an ancient Sheepstealer randomly shows up and eats all three of them ...

So you don't believe it was the Maesters, like Marwyn claims?

A little of Column A and a little of Column B. Aegon III didnt seem to like the idea of dragons sticking around (except maybe one for himself). The Maesters really hated the idea of them sticking around.

God part of me hopes an ancient Sheepstealer randomly shows up and eats all three of them ...

Bahhahahaha! Sheepstealer outta fucken nowhere would be hilarious!

I agree that this will be their biggest value, not so much actually riding them in battle, unless they get a hell of a lot bigger in a shorter period of time.

You mean a wightified Sheepstealer who freezes them solid with his breath?

Seriously, as soon as the novella said something like, "Oh btw Sheepstealer was never seen again," I was like, "Well wouldn't it be nice to see that fucker again."

Yeah, and if Sheepstealer was around 30 or so when she was claimed, it's conceivable that she's not only around, but reaching Vhagar's or Balerion's end-of-life sizes. If there's a dragon trump card, Sheepstealer could be it.

But where do you keep a dragon that it would never be seen and reported by people? It would have to be someplace so far away from Westeros that dragons were not usual or where news wouldn't reach Westeros reliably.

Do dragons hibernate? If Sheepstealer survived, could she be dormant somewhere?

Thanks for the thread, Apple. You totally read my mind with this, as I am not particulary interested in reading TPATQ.

So this seems to confirm what I've mostly thought about their vulnerability... which is good! Hopefully GRRM invents some tasteful deaths for them. I still want to see a direwolf snapping a neck of a grounded dragon.

If Martin had planned to drop a giant two hundred plus year old dragon in the middle of ASoIaF he should have had some foreshadowing for it. As far as I can tell there is none. Though it would be kind of awesome if the biggest trump card of all is called Sheepstealer

Archived