Christopher Nolan's INTERSTELLAR

Commodore

Heavy handed? I feel bad for you, I bet rarely anything moves you.

Can't believe people are complaining about the trailer's most beautiful line.

No need to feel bad for me, Sati. I'm liking a lot of the things they're doing here, and am actually really looking forward to Mc's scenes with his family. There's no need to be snarky over my dislike of a line in a movie of all things. I am entitled to my opinion just as much as you are to yours. There are many views on this board that I disagree with (including some of yours like about the omission of Stannis' from TWotW), but I don't feel the need to attack others who possess them.

I bet you like Forrest Gump.

What's wrong with Forrest Gump? :shocked:

No need to feel bad for me, Sati. I'm liking a lot of the things they're doing here, and am actually really looking forward to Mc's scenes with his family. There's no need to be snarky over my dislike of a line in a movie of all things. I am entitled to my opinion just as much as you are to yours. There are many views on this board that I disagree with (including some of yours like about the omission of Stannis' from TWotW), but I don't feel the need to attack others who possess them.

What's wrong with Forrest Gump? :shocked:

How am I attacking you? Or being snarky? If you find this line to be heavy handed then I cannot even imagine how many other things you may find heavy handed. Having read one of the versions of the script, let me tell you you may not wanna hype yourself too much for this one, cause if you don't like that line, then most of the lines will bug you.

I have no idea what on earth you are talking about when it comes to Stannis, but never mind

It's heavy-handed. :P

Followed by a snarky attack. Are you doing this on purpose?

Stop twisting my words. If he/she finds this heavy handed then i assume it's like that with a lot of things and they will have a tough time enjoying the movie. Nothing wrong with with not liking a certain kind of writing but it is the kind of writing in this movie unless they drastically changed the script.

How am I attacking you? Or being snarky? If you find this line to be heavy handed then I cannot even imagine how many other things you may find heavy handed. Having read one of the versions of the script, let me tell you you may not wanna hype yourself too much for this one, cause if you don't like that line, then most of the lines will bug you.

I have no idea what on earth you are talking about when it comes to Stannis, but never mind

I didn't word the Stannis thing properly, but I was referring to you disliking how Stannis didn't close out The Watchers on the Wall.

Nolan uses lines like these quite a few times, actually, and I usually either don't mind them or actually like them. Here, however, it just feels clunky to me (maybe the delivery was off). Like polishgenius, I am just slightly concerned that the line might have in-story connotations.

BTW, implying that someone is emotionless is actually a little hurtful :)

Stop twisting my words.

I'm not. I'm reading the words as you type them, and they're insulting. Not very, I guess, but your tone is one of condescension. Running around after the fact going 'no no it's not' is a lot less helpful than just not doing it in the first place.

I didn't word the Stannis thing properly, but I was referring to you disliking how Stannis didn't close out The Watchers on the Wall.

Nolan uses lines like these quite a few times, actually, and I usually either don't mind them or actually like them. Here, however, it just feels clunky to me (maybe the delivery was off). Like polishgenius, I am just slightly concerned that the line might have in-story connotations.

BTW, implying that someone is emotionless is actually a little hurtful :)

I wasn't aware saying one appears to be cynical towards movie trailers can be perceived as suggesting someone is emotionless. Certainly not what I meant.

And yes, it does have connotations, the core of the story is him missing his family and being stuck in an impossible situation.

Well, it can't be as shitty as the ending of The Fifth Element, can it? Nolan is still better than that, hopefully :P

Let's hope it's better than Inception ending too.

I'm not. I'm reading the words as you type them, and they're insulting. Not very, I guess, but your tone is one of condescension. Running around after the fact going 'no no it's not' is a lot less helpful than just not doing it in the first place.

I'm done responding to you.

I wasn't aware saying one appears to be cynical towards movie trailers can be perceived as suggesting someone is emotionless. Certainly not what I meant.

Pray tell, what did you mean?

Heavy handed? I feel bad for you, I bet rarely anything moves you.

He's never been good at writing people's emotions? Hugh Jackman in The Prestige, Michael Caine in Batman movies, Guy Pearce in Memento, Rebecca Hall in The Prestige and dozens of others prove otherwise. I'm not a big fan of Nolan's films, I thought Inception was ridiculously overrated, but the man can write emotions.

Okay, I should have (and was going to) put a disclaimer saying "except for The Prestige and Memento" which are my two favourite Nolan films by far. He seemed to have lucked out there and just written really fantastic characters (with the help of his brother for Memento and source material for The Prestige). Aside from these two films though, none of his movies have had emotional or interesting characters (the Joker is fun and entertaining, but doesn't really carry any emotional depth or complexity).

The line stood out, for sure. In a good or bad way depends on the viewer. I was absolutely moved by the trailer, and the line felt clunky to me, like the only bit in a wonderful trailer that was trying too hard.

What did resonate with me, however, was McConaughey holding his crying daughter, telling her that he's coming back. She asks when, and he doesn't have an answer. As a father, that silence destroyed me. We don't have the answers, and we won't always be there to protect our children. Powerful, emotional themes set against a hard sci-fi backdrop - could be a transcendent film experience or an amazing failure or something in between. Any way it turns out, I'm there.

Mike,

What did resonate with me, however, was McConaughey holding his crying daughter, telling her that he's coming back. She asks when, and he doesn't have an answer. As a father, that silence destroyed me. We don't have the answers, and we won't always be there to protect our children. Powerful, emotional themes set against a hard sci-fi backdrop - could be a transcendent film experience or an amazing failure or something in between. Any way it turns out, I'm there.

This. So much this. That's what I mean about being faced with such a terrible choice. He can't fail to try to save his children, and by extension everyone else, but he will lose them in the process. What a truly terrible choice.

Okay, I should have (and was going to) put a disclaimer saying "except for The Prestige and Memento" which are my two favourite Nolan films by far. He seemed to have lucked out there and just written really fantastic characters (with the help of his brother for Memento and source material for The Prestige). Aside from these two films though, none of his movies have had emotional or interesting characters (the Joker is fun and entertaining, but doesn't really carry any emotional depth or complexity).

Hm, well while I agree that the others aren't as emotional as these two, there were still emotions there, granted sometimes not thanks to writing - Cotillard absolutely killed it in Inception and with her acting was my favorite aspect of the movie. Caine usually brings so much emotion to his characters too, but I thought the way Alfred and commissioner Gordon were written also gave many emotional moments to the movies.

The line stood out, for sure. In a good or bad way depends on the viewer. I was absolutely moved by the trailer, and the line felt clunky to me, like the only bit in a wonderful trailer that was trying too hard.

I think it's either gonna fail or work completely, but this kind of emotional core, placed on family not on love interest is so rare. I found Sandra Bullock's pain in Gravity after losing her child to be so heartbreaking, I think this kind of decision - to focus the emotional side of the film on family members and not some random chick they may or may not pair with McConaughey is just brilliant and very rarely fails. Then again it failed for me in Inception, but here the story has much grander scale so hopefully it will be great.

What did resonate with me, however, was McConaughey holding his crying daughter, telling her that he's coming back. She asks when, and he doesn't have an answer.

Indeed, that was probably the scene that stuck with me most from the trailer.

Any indications on how long this is going to be? Because to fit in all the personal drama and all the sci-fi spectacle that's more hinted at but clearly there, and keep it satisfying, it's gonna have to be pretty sizeable.

Archived