Christopher Nolan's INTERSTELLAR

Commodore

I love the line and was nearly moved to tears by this trailer. I love how this is hard science fiction but also has a strong emphasis on love and family. And in such dark, cynical, snarky times, Interstellar feels like it will be a welcome relief, but not just escapism, as it has important things to say.

Yeah! I think there is too much emphasis on grittiness now days, and anything that is remotely related to family, religion, etc is labelled as cheesy.

What the hell is wrong with these people showing emotion and a little faith?

If it's just a line, that's fine. A bit heavy-handed like Frey Pies says, but fine.

The worry I have is that it will have some practical, direct effect on the plot. I mean, I'm 90% sure the Nolan would be more sensible, but as I say, Doctor Who flashbacks.

Agreed 100%

I'm so tired of snark and general shitiness. "Everything was cool until they started talking about love and family and shit."

Fuuuck you.

Nothing says "tired of snark" like a big middle finger to people who don't like a line from a movie trailer.

Starkess,

I'm simply frustrated by people's cynicism about the importance of a man's love for his children and the dramatic tension created by being faced with the terrible choice to have the opportunity to save them at the cost of never being able to see them again.

The only explaination, offered so far, about why people are so cynical about that line is "Doctor Who". I've watched Doctor Who plenty of times and the throwaway reference is of no assistance in explaining the cynicisim.

Starkess,

I'm simply frustrated by people's cynicism about the importance of a man's love for his children and the dramatic tension created by being faced with the terrible choice to have the opportunity to save them at the cost of never being able to see them again.

The only explaination, offered so far, about why people are so cynical about that line is "Doctor Who". I've watched Doctor Who plenty of times and the throwaway reference is of no assistance in explaining the cynicisim.

In Doctor Who the "power of love" saving the day has happened too many times to the point where it's just a cheesy cop out. This is why people like me are wary of the line appearing in the trailer. If it's handled well within the film then there's nothing to complain about, but out of context it sounds cheesy.

There's nothing wrong with showing emotions, Ser Scot. It's just that the line sounds a little heavy-handed.

Heavy handed? I feel bad for you, I bet rarely anything moves you.

Can't believe people are complaining about the trailer's most beautiful line.

I dunno about anyone else, but I don't have a problem with anything else about that storyline and dramatic choice. It's simply that one line, which gives the impression that love, being the one thing that transcends time and space, might actually have a practical solution to their conundrum. Probably an unfair assumption, but I'm used to Doctor Who where this happens not infrequently - like a leaf saving the day from essentially Galactus because it's a really special leaf that made a marriage happen or an android defusing a bomb planted in his body by very much wanting to be a real boy.

Heavy handed? I feel bad for you, I bet rarely anything moves you.

Why would finding something too over the top mean something rarely moves him (or indeed me, because I agree)? It is a heavy-handed line. Perhaps in the context of the film it'll work better, but within the trailer, the message was got across perfectly well without it.

I dunno about anyone else, but I don't have a problem with anything else about that storyline and dramatic choice. It's simply that one line, which gives the impression that love, being the one thing that transcends time and space, might actually have a practical solution to their conundrum. Probably an unfair assumption, but I'm used to Doctor Who where this happens not infrequently - like a leaf saving the day from essentially Galactus because it's a really special leaf that made a marriage happen or an android defusing a bomb planted in his body by very much wanting to be a real boy.

Why would finding something too over the top mean something rarely moves him (or indeed me, because I agree)? It is a heavy-handed line. Perhaps in the context of the film it'll work better, but within the trailer, the message was got across perfectly well without it.

That's your opinion. And in my eyes anyone who would find this heavy handed is cynical beyond repair. Tthey put lines like that there to make the trailer feel more powerful, and of course it's more noticeable in 2min trailer than in 2h movie.. And it work splendidly here.

That's your opinion. And in my eyes anyone who would find this heavy handed is cynical beyond repair. Tthey put lines like that there to make the trailer feel more powerful, and of course it's more noticeable in 2min trailer than in 2h movie.. And it work splendidly here.

I bet you like Forrest Gump.

That's your opinion. And in my eyes anyone who would find this heavy handed is cynical beyond repair.

Wow, what a presumptuous and insulting thing to say. I found the line absolutely terrible and cringe-worthy. Am I incapable of love and happiness now, or feeling any kind of positive emotion? It's one single line, and a horrible one at that. Don't presume to make such massive judgements on people's lives because of how they feel about it.

My own opinion on the trailer; it was pretty good. The space scenes look amazing and have me really excited, but the predictable family drama side is a bit dull and flat to me so far. Nolan has never been good at writing real people and real emotions though, so I'm not too annoyed. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised though.

Wow, what a presumptuous and insulting thing to say. I found the line absolutely terrible and cringe-worthy. Am I incapable of love and happiness now, or feeling any kind of positive emotion? It's one single line, and a horrible one at that. Don't presume to make such massive judgements on people's lives because of how they feel about it.

My own opinion on the trailer; it was pretty good. The space scenes look amazing and have me really excited, but the predictable family drama side is a bit dull and flat to me so far. Nolan has never been good at writing real people and real emotions though, so I'm not too annoyed. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised though.

To say someone is 'cynical' is not an insult. Horrible, presumptuous, insulting, absolutely terrible etc. is.

He's never been good at writing people's emotions? Hugh Jackman in The Prestige, Michael Caine in Batman movies, Guy Pearce in Memento, Rebecca Hall in The Prestige and dozens of others prove otherwise. I'm not a big fan of Nolan's films, I thought Inception was ridiculously overrated, but the man can write emotions.

Looking forward to this one, sci-fi needs another great movie to add to the collection, the lack of compelling and enthralling sci-fi lately is worrying.

It may actually score big in Awards season thanks to Gravity paving the way. This one will definitely be more thought provoking.

As for compelling sci-fi I recommend Under the Skin

It might not be an insult of itself, but you were using it as one.

I was not. Are you a mind reader? No.

I may make the same argument here with your petty FGump question, but let's not shall we.

I don't think there's anything wrong with being cynical, but I do feel bad for people who watch this trailer and instead of being moved feel the need to complain about a single line being cheesy or heavy handed. As i said in 2h movie even you won't be bothered because it will feel different than in 2min trailer.

Archived