Minor Character Appreciation: Rodrik Harlaw

Ser Arys Redshirt

Asha's favorite uncle is a BAMF for sure. Rodrik the Reader is unique among the ironmen for having a three-digit IQ. Furthermore, he is well acquainted with the latest writings of Maester Marwyn the Mage, who seems to know more about dragonlore, glass candles, and other forgotten 'higher mysteries' than anyone else in Westeros. His House has beaten all challengers into thralls or vassals, a tradition that Rodrik continues in his own way (If House Myles tried to pull a Red Wedding, they'd get the scythe). Oh yeah, and the sigil of the House is a silver scythe on black. BAMF like this guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=144ZHZYKkKw

GRRM is not exactly subtle in exposing the Reader's badassitude. While all the other ironmen are running around trying to please King Crow's Eye, Rodrik gives precisely zero shits about Euron's experience and supposed mystical powers. To wit:

"A smile played across Euron's blue lips. 'I am the storm, my lord. The first storm, and the last. I have taken the Silence on longer voyages than this, and ones far more hazardous. Have you forgotten? I have sailed the Smoking Sea and seen Valyria....'

'Have you?' the Reader asked, so softly."

Keep these things in mind: 1) Rodrik knows, from all his reading, that magic is real. 2) Rodrik knows that Euron has warlocks, who work for him. 3) Rodrik does not give a shit at all, and insults his king to his face in front of all the ironborn.

Milk for blood? No way. The Reader is a BAMF.

His level of badassery is matched by only a few in the series, true. He's the only Ironborn I would feel actually upset if he died, except maybe Tris Botley. That line you mentioned with him questioning Euron is amazing, and a braver move than most Ironborn would take, despite most Ironborn mocking Rodrik for his quiet, reading ways. I hope that we see more of him. Hopefully Aeron's WoW chapters will include him.

I love The Reader. He has so many awesome lines besides being a genuinely likable character. His saying of how the reader lives a thousand lives reminded me why I love [and am proud] to read. Also, his line about how they may "learn that some roses have steel thorns" was so cool because he basically showed he was the only one of the Ironborn there with common sense. Plus, the imagery was nice.

Keep these things in mind: 1) Rodrik knows, from all his reading, that magic is real. 2) Rodrik knows that Euron has warlocks, who work for him. 3) Rodrik does not give a shit at all, and insults his king to his face in front of all the ironborn.

Milk for blood? No way. The Reader is a BAMF.

You also forget that excluding the wizards, this is the same Euron who cut a man in seven pieces for refusing to accept him as king. The guy is a complete psychopath, yet the Reader is not daunted by this.

"Reader," he called out, "why is your face so long? Your misgivings were for nought. The day is ours, and ours the prize!"

Lord Rodrik's mouth puckered. "These rocks you mean. All four together wouldn't make Harlaw. We have won some stones and trees and trinkets, and the enmity of House Tyrell."

"The roses?" Nute laughed. "What rose can harm the krakens of the deep? We have taken their shields from them, and smashed them all to pieces. Who will protect them now?"

"Highgarden," replied the Reader. "Soon enough all the power of the Reach will be marshaled against us, Barber, and then you may learn that some roses have steel thorns."

The Reader responds to Nute's arrogant boast with the cold, hard truth. He knows that the consequences of taking the Shield Islands outweigh the gains. Even Lords Drumm and Goodbrother seem to be agreeing with him in that scene.

He also says that the Old Way died with Black Harren and his sons. The Reader isn't blind and delude himself like the rest of the Ironborn, he knows independence is impossible. He does not prefer the Old Way or war either, knowing its costs having lost both his sons and left with two half-mad sisters. His idea for improving the Iron Isles' lot is to gain more land for the Ironborn to work, constructive ideas instead of the destructive manner of the Old Way.

I liked him the minute Asha described his collection of books and how everyone looked down on his for his obsession with reading, something I can relate to. He (and Asha) brought much needed sanity and common sense to the otherwise surreal Ironborn chapters. I mean, I appreciate the Ironborn's craziness because its so entertaining, but there were times when it needed to be brought back down to earth.

Rodrik Harlaw is definitly one of my favorite Ironborn. I admit that I find the crazyness of the others entertaining, and can't help but like them all for what they are (crazy, brutal bastards, but very badass even so), but the Reader adds some much needed flavor to them, and is obviously one of the smartest among them.

I love that scene.

"Have you?" the Reader asked, so softly.

Euron's blue smile vanished. "Reader," he said into the quiet, "you would do well to keep your nose in your books."

Victarion could feel the unease in the hall. He pushed himself to his feet. "Brother," he boomed. "You have not answered Harlaw's questions."

Euron shrugged. "The price of slaves is rising. We will sell our slaves in Lys and Volantis. That, and the plunder we have taken here, will give us sufficient gold to buy provisions."

"Are we slavers now?" asked the Reader. "And for what? Dragons that no man here has seen? Shall we chase some drunken sailor's fancy to the far ends of the earth?"

His words drew mutters of assent. "Slaver's Bay is too far," called out Ralf the Limper. "And too close to Valyria," shouted Quellon Humble. Fralegg the Strong said, "Highgarden's close. I say, look for dragons there. The golden kind!" Alvyn Sharp said, "Why sail the world, when the Mander lies before us?" Red Ralf Stonehouse bounded to his feet. "Oldtown is richer, and the Arbor richer still. Redwyne's fleet is off away. We need only reach out our hand to pluck the ripest fruit in Westeros."

"Fruit?" The king's eye looked more black than blue. "Only a craven would steal a fruit when he could take the orchard."

"It is the Arbor we want," said Red Ralf, and other men took up the cry. The Crow's Eye let the shouts wash over him. Then he leapt down from the table, grabbed his slattern by the arm, and pulled her from the hall.

Fled, like a dog.

The one with milk for blood is the one that first stands up to Euron when everyone else is sitting quiet, eventually causing him to run from the hall. Easily the smartest one in the room, and brave as well.

The Reader's pretty awesome, and likely very important for upcoming events. If Aeron can successfully muster men against Euron, I'm sure Rodrik would be one of the first to jump ship. Being the most powerful Lord on the Iron Islands that's not named Greyjoy, he could pose quite a threat.

All that you previous posters have said, plus this quote:

"I prefer my history dead. Dead history is writ in ink, the living sort in blood."

The above may be one of my favorite lines. I also like, paraphrasing, Asha asking him if he wants to die old and craven in his bed, and he says Yes, although......not til he's done reading. That's perfect.

It was brave and badass the way he stood up and spoke sense to Euron, and if the Iron Born want to actually survive and thrive in this world, they need to start paying heed to people like The Reader and Asha.

Archived