Minor Character Appreciation: Rodrik Harlaw

Ser Arys Redshirt

Yeah, I wouldn't call him bad ass, but he is certainly one of maybe 3 ironborn that isn't a complete piece of shit.

It does say a lot that he comes from a race of complete scumbags, yet manages to be a pretty good dude.

It would be like if a Dothraki decided to become a social worker.

@BitsOfBrains- I hear you, but what I find remarkable about the Reader is not just that he's half-decent, coming from a group of scumbags (I wouldn't use the word race), but that what makes him a BAMF is that he challenges the scumbagginess on its own terms. Just being a nice uncle who likes books is not particularly badass, but is still pretty good for an ironman, as you say. What makes Rodrik badass is that he has no fear of Euron. Even Vic has fear of Euron, and he's a skull-cleaving maniac. But the Reader? Nope, just not afraid. Or else, if he is afraid, he's being brave, as Ned Stark was wont to say.

He is the only decent Iron Born in the history or at least in the series. I like him :thumbsup:

I wouldn't say that. I would make an exception for Dagmer Cleftjaw. He is the only one of the Ironborn to ever show Theon any compassion and understanding. He manages to display some humanity.

I think the Reader may end up becoming Lord of the Iron Isles once the main branch of House Greyjoy goes extinct given his smith inference. He has shown to be able to get Ironmen behind him in the scene with Euron, and he has found allies in Lord Goodbrother of the Great Wyk, the largest of the Iron Isles, and Lord Drumm of Old Wyk, the most sacred of the Iron Isles. He is an adequate politician in this aspect.

I love The Reader. He has so many awesome lines besides being a genuinely likable character. His saying of how the reader lives a thousand lives reminded me why I love [and am proud] to read. Also, his line about how they may "learn that some roses have steel thorns" was so cool because he basically showed he was the only one of the Ironborn there with common sense. Plus, the imagery was nice.

I think the 'thousand lives' quote belongs to Jojen Reed.

But yeah, the Reader is one of the best Ironborn characters so far. Too bad the Greyjoys are ruling the Iron Islands, and not the Harlaws.

wait a sec, asking a couple of pointed questions isn't exactly the high point of courage.

Sure he questions Euron, but he's not calling for Euron to step down, he's not claiming that Euron killed Balon (or had him killed), or anything that dramatic. He's slying poking at Euron's impervious aura, but he has yet to really challenge Euron's standing. He may do so in the future, but had he more pull, you'd think he would have arranged for the Kingsmoot to turn out differently.

wait a sec, asking a couple of pointed questions isn't exactly the high point of courage.

Sure he questions Euron, but he's not calling for Euron to step down, he's not claiming that Euron killed Balon (or had him killed), or anything that dramatic. He's slying poking at Euron's impervious aura, but he has yet to really challenge Euron's standing. He may do so in the future, but had he more pull, you'd think he would have arranged for the Kingsmoot to turn out differently.

I think openly disagreeing with Euron after the Kingsmoot takes a lot of courage.

In this scene, Rodrik is going against the guy who just won a Kingsmoot with promises of glory and plunder and has just given his people a taste of easy conquest. Furthermore, Euron is infamous for killing people in horrible ways for no reason. How many lords did he kill when they voiced objection to him claiming the Seastone Chair the day after Balon's death? To tell such a guy to his face that you believe he is lying about his grandest adventures takes some stones, I'd think.

What Rodrik did that day may well have laid the groundworks for Euron's eventual downfall. To go against such a man so soon after his successful coronation is a very, very bold plan.

GRRM has a soft spot for the lovers of books in ASoIaF. Sam and Tyrion are the POV readers. Other characters who love the books include Maester Aemon, Hoster Blackwood, Willas Tyrell, Maester Marwyn, Rhaegar Targaryen, and Rodrik Harlow, The Reader. All of these characters--in so far as we have met them--strike me as bad asses in their own ways (even Hoster and Willas, but I expect that we'll learn more about those two in TWoW). All seem to have gained knowledge through their studies that they try to share with their less curious contemporaries. All of these characters seem to grasp the lesson that Tyrion tried to teach Jon in TGoT:

"I have a realistic grasp of my own strengths and weaknesses. My mind is my weapon. My brother has his sword, King Robert has his warhammer, and I have my mind . . . and a mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." Tyrion tapped the leather cover of the book. "That's why I read so much, Jon Snow.""

In a world of striving political power plays, force of arms, magic, myth and superstition, knowledge is real power and you get that knowledge mostly through reading. It is a sub-theme that GRRM returns to often. And yet, it does not seem to be enough on its own. Perhaps that's why Rhaegar picked up the sword, Tyrion his ax, Sam his bow and The Reader his longships.

In ASoIaF knowledge is power, but it helps to have some back-up.

Thanks for the celebration of Lord Rodrik. He is one of my favorites.

Cheers

Yes I loved Asha's chapter when she goes to visit her uncle. He seems like a really interesting character. Him and Hoster Blackwood are two of my favorite minor characters. I actually enjoyed the chapters that included them more than some of the POV characters.

I liked him the minute Asha described his collection of books and how everyone looked down on his for his obsession with reading, something I can relate to. He (and Asha) brought much needed sanity and common sense to the otherwise surreal Ironborn chapters. I mean, I appreciate the Ironborn's craziness because its so entertaining, but there were times when it needed to be brought back down to earth.

:agree:

Rodrik is unique, not only amongst the Ironborn but amongst the rest westerosi nobles as well.

In regards to booklovers in Westeros, I think that there are so few of them,

• Sam, his love for books is regarded as another sign of weakness by his father.

Rhaegar was also bookish, to the extent that Queen Rhaella was worried

Tyrion, who utters one of the best quotes in the books,

My mind is my weapon. My brother has his sword, King Robert has his warhammer and I have my mind... and a mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone if it is to keep its edge. That’s why I read so much Jon Snow

clearly is using reading as a weapon

Domeric is likely the only noble who was athletic and loved reading, but unfortunately he didn't survive...

Hoster Blackwood is his father's least favourite child

Rodrik is trully exceptional, and I also like the fact that he is the closest thing that Asha has to a father figure. GRRM tends to write about difficult relationships between family members, but there is always an uncle, who is adored and loved. Cat loved Blackfish, Jaime and Tyrion loved Gerion and Asha loved Rodrik.

He also appears to be close to his sister and given the fact that due to Balon's rebellion, Alannys lost not only her sons but her sanity as well, I wouldn't be surprised if Rodrik turns against Euron and the Greyjoys.

I wonder if Gwynesse's claim that the Ten Towers belong to her, since she is older than Rodrik, is meant to slightly duplicate Asha and Theon's rivalry in COK, when Theon realised that Asha was favoured by their father.

@Danelle-

Yup, for every screwed up family, there's always a favorite uncle/aunt. Some that you left off your list: The Blackfish, Lady Genna, Oberyn Martell (Arianne had a thing for him), Tommen/Myrcella-Tyrion, Jon-Benjen, Theon-Aeron (before he got religion), and if you get into Dunk and Egg stuff, Egg-Baelor. GRRM has a thing for the kindly uncle trope. It's almost like CS Lewis.

Archived