New Release Chapter?

TyrionsFlagon

Well, it’s not like releasing a sample chapter keeps GRRM from writing (in any substantial way). The sample chapters often even contain mistakes, so obviously they don’t really bother to copy edit them. Which is fine with me.

I don’t mind the ‘spoilers’ in the sample chapters, either. Most of the time they are from the beginning of the novel, and probably also chosen to be unspoilerish.

For DwD there were 3 sample chapters iirc – and 70 chapters in the book.

• 2 weeks later...

Bad news folks. He published a new sample on his website, but it is for some Wildcards book that none of us have the remotest interest in.

Sigh. Ah well, it was good to have a glimmer of hope, no matter how briefly. Now it is back to waiting for Winds of Winter - due somewhere around early 2016 at my best guess.

And the worst thing is, GRRM didn't even write it, it's just some story he edited :dunce:

Bad news folks. He published a new sample on his website, but it is for some Wildcards book that none of us have the remotest interest in.

Sigh. Ah well, it was good to have a glimmer of hope, no matter how briefly. Now it is back to waiting for Winds of Winter - due somewhere around early 2016 at my best guess.

Don't tell me that he's seriously counting that?

He has read or released eight TWOW chapters already, it's not surprising that he hasn't released another. I doubt well get another, although if we do it'll likely be the Damphair chapter he has hyped for awhile. He offered to either read it or an Arianne chapter at a few conventions, and folks voted for Arianne.

He has read or released eight TWOW chapters already, it's not surprising that he hasn't released another. I doubt well get another, although if we do it'll likely be the Damphair chapter he has hyped for awhile. He offered to either read it or an Arianne chapter at a few conventions, and folks voted for Arianne.

The thing is that most of those chapters were supposed to be in the DwD and already written.

The thing is that most of those chapters were supposed to be in the DwD and already written.

You're right, but he has still released nearly 10% of TWOW, assuming its around 73-75 chapters like previous books. I just don't see a reason for more chapters to be released. He has that Damphair chapter that he is willing to read, but I'd imagine most people don't want it - they want a character we haven't see in awhile, like Sansa or even Sam.

The only difference between how he's handled it this time vs the last is that he can't release chapters for two of the most popular characters, since it would spoil things. If Jon has a PoV, revealing it now would be a bad idea. Likewise Dany is probably about to wreck some folks in her next chapter, so revealing it now would take away from the book. He has released two Tyrion chapters though, one of which includes some big events. In the past (ADWD most recently) we got samples for Dany, Jon, and Tyrion. Not possible this time.

Then there's Arya, who had one chapter removed from ADWD. People have speculated it's the chapter where she'll meet the King of Mummers, a character Martin said would be in ADWD but didn't appear. He moved it because it would fit better in the next book, and we might not see it as a sample chapter either.

In short Martin has to keep his cards closer to his chest this time in order to avoid spoiling big moments (although Arianne II spoils what seems like a big reveal to me), yet has already released a shit ton of chapters. Even if they were once in ADWD they're still counted in TWOW's page count, and I understand why he doesn't want to give away more.

I think that the 'gift' chapter this year being from WildCards is a good sign.

On another thread someone said it means GRRM is optimistic concerning the Winds release so he's not feeding us scraps to placate us since the meal is nigh. Now you might say it's because he's run out of non-major chapters: however, both the Arianne and Barristan chapters have been read before they were posted so if he wanted to give us a new chapter he could have for instance posted

Tyrion 1

or some

Victarion

You're right, but he has still released nearly 10% of TWOW, assuming its around 73-75 chapters like previous books. I just don't see a reason for more chapters to be released. He has that Damphair chapter that he is willing to read, but I'd imagine most people don't want it - they want a character we haven't see in awhile, like Sansa or even Sam.

The only difference between how he's handled it this time vs the last is that he can't release chapters for two of the most popular characters, since it would spoil things. If Jon has a PoV, revealing it now would be a bad idea. Likewise Dany is probably about to wreck some folks in her next chapter, so revealing it now would take away from the book. He has released two Tyrion chapters though, one of which includes some big events. In the past (ADWD most recently) we got samples for Dany, Jon, and Tyrion. Not possible this time.

Then there's Arya, who had one chapter removed from ADWD. People have speculated it's the chapter where she'll meet the King of Mummers, a character Martin said would be in ADWD but didn't appear. He moved it because it would fit better in the next book, and we might not see it as a sample chapter either.

In short Martin has to keep his cards closer to his chest this time in order to avoid spoiling big moments (although Arianne II spoils what seems like a big reveal to me), yet has already released a shit ton of chapters. Even if they were once in ADWD they're still counted in TWOW's page count, and I understand why he doesn't want to give away more.

I read the Arianne chapter, but I don't remember what the big reveal you're referring to is...I know you said "at least to me" but I still don't recall.

And I agree with the last few people, I think this actually is a case of "no news is good news". Personally I hope GRRM does what Radiohead did in 2007 with "In Rainbows" (or, I guess to be more current, Beyonce just a few months ago with whatever BS album she put out but in Radiohead's case the announcement was actually cool): just casually mention, like at the end of an interview or as he's saying goodnight after an appearance somewhere, "Oh yeah and by the way, The Winds of Winter is done and published, it'll be out next week."

Almost certainly not (the two albums I just mentioned dropped via the internet), I know the announcement will be at least a few months in advance of the book, there will be ARCs of it and such and blah blah etc etc, but it's still cool to think about. Either way, I am optimistic, I think there's decent odds we'll at least have a release date within a year/15 months, the book itself maybe within the next year and a half or so.

Though to be fair, I also think none of us have any idea whatsoever really and (I realize this statement makes my presence on this thread and the entire thread itself irrelevant but what can I say) guessing of any kind is silly. I want it to come out as much as anyone, I'm wearing my House Stark sigil shirt right this moment, but I think all we can really do is wait.

Of course if there's anyone who really does have any real, legit info (the most concrete thing I've heard is what Roy Dotrice said in that interview and as has been discussed it's actually fairly vague) I'd love to hear it.

Yeah Storm's End would be my guess for that. I don't know a whole lot about the publishing industry, but wouldn't it be very difficult for GRRM to announce that and say that the book will be out next week? There's a whole lot of legwork to do after the actual material is written. And I would think that the publishers would want to get as much advertising out as possible before releasing it. I know we're all anxiously waiting, but the people selling the book will want to advertise it and promote it for at least a couple months before putting it out for sale right?

Yeah Storm's End would be my guess for that. I don't know a whole lot about the publishing industry, but wouldn't it be very difficult for GRRM to announce that and say that the book will be out next week? There's a whole lot of legwork to do after the actual material is written. And I would think that the publishers would want to get as much advertising out as possible before releasing it. I know we're all anxiously waiting, but the people selling the book will want to advertise it and promote it for at least a couple months before putting it out for sale right?

Yes. There'd be a delay of several months between his finishing the manuscript and publication.

Still, it would be great to hear him say off-hand that he's finished the manuscript.

I'd like GRRM to take some time out of his TWOW schedule to write a choose-your-own adventure story, called "A Dream of Hodor" in which Hodor goes on a bunch of adventures, all of which end with him swimming naked in the hot springs of Winterfell's godswood with Osha. The Winds of Winter can wait. Hodor is important.

Archived