US Politics: And this has been your Ft. Lee traffic report. Back to you!

Inigima

And let me be clear, I do not think this kind of cheap and petty payback is unique to Christie or New Jersey. But when you've positioned yourself as a pragmatic post-partisan problem-solver (so many delicious P words) who only cares about effective governance, then shutting down three lanes on the GW bridge to punish the Democratic mayor who didn't endorse you on your way to your landslide re-election victory kind of blows the brand.

It looks bad when you come off as the Tony Soprano of governors in NJ especially.

Saying that poorly implemented political crony capitalism is a failure of the Free Market is a bit of a stretch though.

I think it's the idea that profit motive over humanitarian concerns is where people have an issue with the idea of a free market. Some things simply should not be privatized and the justice system should be one of them.

An impression that Chris Christie is a man who will use his political power to engage in petty feuds with those who have displeased him in some way is certainly not going to help him reach the White House.

One would think so, but it reminds me how shortly after the 2004 election, I was off doing something with my dad, (who used to fairly centrist, if a definite economic conservative, until he got driven a bit nucking futs from getting too much of his news from Fox and talk radio) and there was a news bit about Bush actually cutting (!!!) the budgets of or closing some naval base(s) in the northeast. Dad, (who keep in mind is an ex-Navy man) nodded as if in approval and basically said "That's what happens when you vote the wrong way". Now I wonder how big a bug he had up his ass about the Faux News IRS scandal.

Lots of people are on board with petty political games and revenge, as long as it's their side that's dishing it out.

Lots of people are on board with petty political games and revenge, as long as it's their side that's dishing it out.

Well yeah, but it's independents who win elections. Also, Christie has to make it through the primaries and his history of punishing those who cross him isn't limited to Democrats.

You think so, Neil? I see a lot of Republicans thinking "there's a guy who's not afraid to use his power to keep the libtards in line. Sometimes you have to crack the whip!" He runs on a tough-guy image already.

Sure, but are those Republicans going to support Christie over a less compromised conservative like Rand Paul or Scott Walker? Christie strikes me much like Rudy Giuliani: he talks tough and has all the right enemies, but at the end of the day he's going to look culturally alien to many conservatives.

Let's face it: Christie would have always been a long shot for the nomination, but now that a media narrative of Christie the Bully is developing...well, if I would have given you a nickel for his chances yesterday, I'm not sure that I'd go for a penny today.

People will probably call me a tin-foil conspiracy theorist, but I think Christie knew. When Rob Ford was first accused of smoking crack months ago, the right wing basically called anybody who believed that to be a conspiracy theorist.

Also, fun fighting-the-stupid-fight pushes the GOP is still making despite common sense/decency/sanity:

Abortion!

But that's business as usual right? Did we expect them to learn any lessons from last election?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/01/08/house-gop-kicks-off-2014-_n_4563303.html

As the Senate takes up a measure to extend unemployment insurance, Republicans in the House of Representatives are looking to make 2014 another banner year for anti-abortion laws.

A panel of 12 men on the House Judiciary Committee will hold a hearing on a bill Thursday that would deny tax subsidies to women and small businesses who purchase health insurance plans that include abortion coverage. The bill only makes an exception for rape and incest victims and women who would die without abortion care, which opponents say could prompt the IRS to audit any woman who claims one of these exceptions.

Efficient Bulbs are Tyranny!

The hell? Why would you do this except to be stupid and contrary?

http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-action/energy-environment/194908-gop-takes-one-last-shot-at-repealing-light-bulb-ban

Rep. Jeff Duncan (R-S.C.) on Wednesday proposed legislation to repeal the ban on incandescent light bulbs, just weeks after a a ban on the most common traditional bulbs took effect.

The Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007 phased in a ban on bulbs that don't meet new energy efficient standards. As a result of that law, the 100- and 75-watt bulb is already banned, and the 60- and 40-watt bulb was banned as of this month. Stores can continue to sell off their stock, but after that, they're gone.

Republicans in particular have said the light bulb ban is an example of the nanny state that needs to be repealed.

Child Labour!

Wait, what? Fucking seriously?

http://www.pressherald.com/politics/LePage_says_children_should_have_work_option.html

Gov. Paul LePage told attendees of the 73rd annual Maine Agricultural Trades Show on Tuesday that 12-year-olds should be allowed to work in Maine.

LePage said Maine is not using one of its most valuable resources – its youth.

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/politics/gop-rep-jack-kingston-sad-call-child-labor-sparked-partisan-hysteria

Republican Jack Kingston, the Georgia congressman running for that state’s open senate seat next year, is struggling to defend his call for a return to child labor for school kids who eat lunch for free.

Christie's name being bandied around for 2016 is another example of how out of touch the Republic party has been with its constituency.

And I agree Sci, I'm sure he got crossed off the lists today.

This is much ado about nothing. The local media kept beating on this story until it picked up traction. Also, it wasn't three lanes on the bridge that were closed. it was the local access lane in Fort Lee that was closed. The Left really wants to tear down Christie before he becomes even larger (no pun intended) than he already is. So...to be fair, Christie didn't know about this as much as Holder didn't know about Fast and Furious, Rice and Clinton knew it was a YouTube video that caused the Benghazi attack, and the Obama Administration didn't know the IRS was targeting Tea Party groups.

That's just the free market at work baby!!

1. What does "free market" mean to you? The government arresting people and then handing them over to select firms for incarceration?

2. The evil "profit motive" doesn't disappear if all the private prisons go back into public hands - it just means the priority will now be saving money for taxpayers or the state rather than shareholders or a corporation. Do you guys think prisons were more humane at any point in the past? As usual, progressive hatred of corporate bogeyman (who deserve it in this case, don't get me wrong) is clouding the real issues - over-incarceration and a general apathy/disdain for prisoners among the public.

1. What does "free market" mean to you? The government arresting people and then handing them over to select firms for incarceration?

2. The evil "profit motive" doesn't disappear if all the private prisons go back into public hands - it just means the priority will now be saving money for taxpayers or the state rather than shareholders or a corporation. Do you guys think prisons were more humane at any point in the past? As usual, progressive hatred of corporate bogeyman (who deserve it in this case, don't get me wrong) is clouding the real issues - over-incarceration and a general apathy/disdain for prisoners among the public.

Actually what saves the government the most money is incarcerating less people whereas private prisons make the most money imprisoning more people in the cheapest ways possible in order to get larger checks from the government at minimal cost.

That's, like ,the whole problem with the prison industrial complex and there's been and continue to be tons of examples of it happening in the US over the years.

I mean, there was that judge a few years back being paid off to throw kids in prison.

And of course then the private prison advocates lobby for laws which are more likely to lead to incarceration. Something else you didn't have with Government ownership.

And while the government has an incentive to reduce recidivism even if it costs more in the short term (as it costs less in the future), private prisons have an incentive to both save money now on programs to improve recidivism and then profit again in the future if the inmate re-offends.

All the incentives of the capital model are wrong.

As usual, progressive hatred of corporate bogeyman (who deserve it in this case, don't get me wrong)

So the bogeymen, by your admission, are real in this case.

They're also real in the case of Wall Street trying to raid pensions and fuck with the economy.

Also real when it comes to environmental standards, right?

Seems like the problem is too much "free market", meaning not enough regulation combined with the state taking responsibility for things like rehabilitation [of criminals] and stewardship for the environment?

While the private prison industry clearly lobbies for interests that go against those of the country as a whole, progressives often seem to fail to mention that the prison guard union lobbies for mostly the same interests and is still more influential.

When do progressives fail to mention this?

I don't think you talk to many progressives if you actually think this. Shit, liberals from California won't fucking shut up about their goddamn prison guard union in my experience.

While the private prison industry clearly lobbies for interests that go against those of the country as a whole, progressives often seem to fail to mention that the prison guard union lobbies for mostly the same interests and is still more influential.

Like Shryke, I have no idea where you get this idea that "progressives" are buddy-buddy with prison guard unions. To the extent that I can be considered a progressive, I've long cited the corrosive influence of prison guard unions, along with other segments of the prison industrial complex.

Archived