The Edward and Bella Factor: Which couple makes you want to stab yourself in the face?

ghosts in winterfell

I don't like that Dany wedded Hizdahr just on the pretense that maybe he could/would stop crime in some inconsequential city across the Narrow Sea. Not once did I ever think that would be the best solution to the problems she was facing in ADWD. And I never understood the relationship between Jaime and Cersei either. I can get them having a confused sexual desire for one another when they were younger but how the heck can you be in love with your sibling your entire life? Also, isn't Cersei the only woman Jaime has ever slept with? I've been in love before but I still felt the urge sometimes to mess around with other girls. There is something very odd about their bond, besides the obvious. It doesn't seem like it could be real to me.

Agreed about the Jaime/Cersei thing. It seems a bit unrealistic how Jaime never feels the urge or considers having sex with another woman, like, ever. Even when Pia, who was a pretty and nice girl, offers herself to Jaime and says how much she admires and fantasised about him, which implies she actually would want to have sex with him, he still completely refuses her, I'm assuming because he wants to remain 'loyal' to Cersei. Given his circumstances at that point - having had his hand cut off, confused about his identity and under a fair bit of stress - it would be pretty normal and understandable if he decided to have sex with Pia. Jaime is in no way a naive or childish person, so like you said his mindset it quite strange in this.

Agreed about the Jaime/Cersei thing. It seems a bit unrealistic how Jaime never feels the urge or considers having sex with another woman, like, ever. Even when Pia, who was a pretty and nice girl, offers herself to Jaime and says how much she admires and fantasised about him, which implies she actually would want to have sex with him, he still completely refuses her, I'm assuming because he wants to remain 'loyal' to Cersei. Given his circumstances at that point - having had his hand cut off, confused about his identity and under a fair bit of stress - it would be pretty normal and understandable if he decided to have sex with Pia. Jaime is in no way a naive or childish person, so like you said his mindset it quite strange in this.

Jaime was getting hard because of Brienne at Harrenhal's bathouse.

Rhaegar and Lyanna is definitely the most bullshit, selfish relationship in the books, and I hate them both forever. I probably wouldn't hate them so much if it wasn't for the Elia factor. I don't even care if people who argue that she didn't care are right, I'll be mad enough for both of us. I'll never forgive Rhaegar for leaving his babies without the protection of the OG Arthur Dayne, plus Gerold HT and OsWhent, so he could take them to go hang out with his Northern whore.

Unless Lyanna did get kidnapped and raped. Then I'll just sheepishly scuff my shoes on the floor. :leaving:

Robb and Jeyne is another one I can't stand. I like to pretend he never said that "I took her castle" line and actually *just* married her out of guilt. Makes it way more interesting that way.

OTOH, I like several of the other ones people are listing, like Arianne/Arys and Jaime/Cersei (is that weird? I think that's weird...)

Rhaegar and Lyanna is definitely the most bullshit, selfish relationship in the books, and I hate them both forever. I probably wouldn't hate them so much if it wasn't for the Elia factor. I don't even care if people who argue that she didn't care are right, I'll be mad enough for both of us. I'll never forgive Rhaegar for leaving his babies without the protection of the OG Arthur Dayne, plus Gerold HT and OsWhent, so he could take them to go hang out with his Northern whore.

Unless Lyanna did get kidnapped and raped. Then I'll just sheepishly scuff my shoes on the floor. :leaving:

Robb and Jeyne is another one I can't stand. I like to pretend he never said that "I took her castle" line and actually *just* married her out of guilt. Makes it way more interesting that way.

OTOH, I like several of the other ones people are listing, like Arianne/Arys and Jaime/Cersei (is that weird? I think that's weird...)

I read the first page, prepare to write 500 words about how Rheagar/Lyanna is full of shit, how I hate Rheagar if he raped her and if he didn how I hate them both even 10Xmore for being freaking assholes selfish with no common sense before and after the war broke out... but hey already done.

The show's actually had a big impact on how I've viewed some pairings. For example, the show made me HATE Tyrion/Shae, where I had no problem with it in the book (aside from the fact that Tyrion was getting obviously hoodwinked). By contrast, Brienne/Jaime (if you can call it a pairing) was boring an predictable in my eyes when I read the books, but the show made me love them.

Arya/Gendry shippers rub me the wrong way as well.

^^^ I agree about Rhaegar/Lyanna what they did was reckless and dumb but there is a 99.99999 chance that they're the reason Jon exist so I can forgive them for anything.

What?

The lost of lives due to that relationship is immaculate, that relationship alongside Jaime/Cersei is on the worst end of spectrum IMO.

Jaime and Cersei always were disgusting even if they weren't siblings they were too disrespectfull to everything around them.I mean sex beside your husband sex beside your dead son sex in your guests home and then throwing your guests child and what comes really funny is Jaime rejected having sex in Kg headquarters I mean it really goes with their fantasy ideas.

Tyrion and Shae was really unbelieveable I mean Tyrion thinks he is too smart but he can't figure Shaes true motives.I blame Tywin for raising him without a mother figure.

Robb and Jeyne is maybe the most stupid most unrealistic pair ever.Robb conquers castle she conquers his heart.She could have stabbed Robb with a knie what is going on in these teenagers heads?Genghis Khan was killed because of a girl he let in on his bed.If you really want to sleep with a women then at least go and pick a northern one whose to say Jeyne isn't one of the Lannister spies?

What?

The lost of lives due to that relationship is immaculate, that relationship alongside Jaime/Cersei is on the worst end of spectrum IMO.

Rhaegar did not intend to start a war when he took Lyanna I also doubt that he knew that his wife and children would die and his dynasty usurped when he took Lyanna. Nor did Lyanna know that her brother and father would die horrible deaths if she did run away with Rhaegar. The war begun when Aerys killed Brandon and Rickard and proceeded to call for Robert and Ned's heads and Arryn decided to call his banners. I don't blame Rhaegar and Lyanna for that war because I'm under the belief that their actions should have in no way caused a war other factors were the main cause of it and it got out of hand.

Jaime and Cersei on the other hand knew that their actions WOULD cause a war and than proceeded to take every action available to make sure a war did happen.

Rhaegar/Lyanna and Jaime/Cersei are all selfish but to compare the damage Rhaegar/Lyanna caused unintentionally to what Jaime/Cersei caused with disregard for anybody is not comparable at all.

Tbh the dynamic between Edward and Bella is the complete opposite. It's more like the romanticizing of a very unhealthy relationship that is a little closer on the spectrum to Joffrey/Sansa (perhaps without the physical abuse). Edward is emotionally manipulative/abusive and is constantly putting her down. It's of the BS "I'm hurting you because I love you!" variety.

So, you're actually spot on!

If we have to discuss about unhealthy relationships, where one is manipulative and abusive, I suggest the relationship between Stannis and Davos. While they are not a couple, Stannis dominates Davos' life, who in return is absolutely devoted to him, even though that devotion has costed him the first joints of his fingers of his left hand and four sons.

Rhaegar did not intend to start a war when he took Lyanna I also doubt that he knew that his wife and children would die and his dynasty usurped when he took Lyanna. Nor did Lyanna know that her brother and father would die horrible deaths if she did run away with Rhaegar.

Surely they should have known better,assuming a prince and a lady of WF who is betrothed to Lord of SE's running away would've no effective response is wrong assessment.

Rhaegar did not intend to start a war when he took Lyanna I also doubt that he knew that his wife and children would die and his dynasty usurped when he took Lyanna. Nor did Lyanna know that her brother and father would die horrible deaths if she did run away with Rhaegar.

Then they are very stupid people. Wars have been started for less and by this point Rhaegar had to know his father was a violent sadist.

If we have to discuss about unhealthy relationships, where one is manipulative and abusive, I suggest the relationship between Stannis and Davos. While they are not a couple, Stannis dominates Davos' life, who in return is absolutely devoted to him, even though that devotion has costed him the first joints of his fingers of his left hand and four sons.

Omg exactly! Davos is in desperate need of new friends.

Archived