Small Questions v 10022

Stubby

We also know Rickard brought two hundred men south, who never returned. There were probably many others. We hear he had the nickname "king scab." I'd bet at least one Kings Landing citizen burnt for calling him that, or otherwise questioning his rule during the rebellion.

I would agree with more. Remember Jaime's recollection that "every time" Aerys burned someone he would visit Rhaella? Imo that implies more, unnamed victims.

I agree, those two were just the only named ones that I remembered. Surely some Darklyns were burned at some point as well.

I agree, those two were just the only named ones that I remembered. Surely some Darklyns were burned at some point as well.

Wasn't the myrish wife of the Lord of Duskendale burned to death after the Defiance? She was tortured ans forced to watch all the others die, but wasn't she burne herself afterwards?

Another burn victim was Rickard Stark. :)

In ASoS, Arya XII, she thinks of her wolf dreams:

A great pack of wolves, with her at the head. She was bigger, swifter, faster. She could outrun horses and outfight lions.

Do you think she might mean literal lions? In the Riverlands?

Are actual lions mentioned at any point as living in Westeros? I think I remember something about the great lions prowling the Westerlands or something, but I can't seem to find it.

In ASoS, Arya XII, she thinks of her wolf dreams:

Do you think she might mean literal lions? In the Riverlands?

Are actual lions mentioned at any point as living in Westeros? I think I remember something about the great lions prowling the Westerlands or something, but I can't seem to find it.

"Where are the rest of you?" Bran asked Leaf, once.

"Gone down into the earth," she answered. "Into the stones, into the trees. Before the First Men came all this land that you call Westeros was home to us, yet even in those days we were few. The gods gave us long lives but not great numbers, lest we overrun the world as deer will overrun a wood where there are no wolves to hunt them. That was in the dawn of days, when our sun was rising. Now it sinks, and this is our long dwindling. The giants are almost gone as well, they who were our bane and our brothers. The great lions of the western hills have been slain, the unicorns are all but gone, the mammoths down to a few hundred. The direwolves will outlast us all, but their time will come as well. In the world that men have made, there is no room for them, or us."

Can someone find me the quote (good people around here, will be much appreciated :)) as I didn't read it in English, when Jon decides not to hang but to behead Janos Slynt, and Bowen March says something like "The seven protect us", with an option of commentary on were these the groundworks laid for what happens to Jon in his last chapter.

Yeah, I know, not really a small question, might be starting a thread soon...

"If the boy thinks that he can frighten me, he is mistaken," they heard Lord Janos said. "He would not dare to hang me. Janos Slynt has friends, important friends, you'll see ..." The wind whipped away the rest of his words.

This is wrong, Jon thought. "Stop."

Emmett turned back, frowning. "My lord?"

"I will not hang him," said Jon. "Bring him here."

"Oh, Seven save us," he heard Bowen Marsh cry out.

The smile that Lord Janos Slynt smiled then had all the sweetness of rancid butter. Until Jon said, "Edd, fetch me a block," and unsheathed Longclaw.

By the time a suitable chopping block was found, Lord Janos had retreated into the winch cage, but Iron Emmett went in after him and dragged him out. "No," Slynt cried, as Emmett half-shoved and half-pulled him across the yard. "Unhand me ... you cannot ... when Tywin Lannister hears of this, you will all rue - "

Emmett kicked his legs out from under him. Dolorous Edd planted a foot on his back to keep him on his knees as Emmett shoved the block beneath his head. "This will go easier if you stay still," Jon Snow promised him. "Move to avoid the cut, and you will still die, but your dying will be uglier. Stretch out your neck, my lord." The pale morning sunlight ran up and down his blade as Jon clasped the hilt of the bastard sword with both hands and raised it high. "If you have any last words, now is the time to speak them," he said, expecting one last curse.

Janos Slynt twisted his neck around to stare up at him. "Please, my lord. Mercy. I'll ... I'll go, I will, I ..."

No, thought Jon. You closed that door. Longclaw descended. "Can I have his boots?" asked Owen the Oaf, as Janos Slynt's head went rolling across the muddy ground. "They're almost new, those boots. Lined with fur."

Jon glanced back at Stannis. For an instant their eyes met. Then the king nodded and went back inside his tower.

(End of) ADwD C 7 Jon II

ETA: hope this answers it, the "Oh, Seven save us," is in there,

but Bowen Marsh does the crying.

With pleasure; it's such an awesome quote :D

"If the boy thinks that he can frighten me, he is mistaken," they heard Lord Janos say. "He would not dare to hang me. Janos Slynt has friends, important friends, you'll see..." The wind whipped away the rest of his words.
This is wrong, Jon thought. "Stop."
Emmett turned back, frowning. "My lord?"
"I will not hang him," said Jon. "Bring him here."
"Oh, Seven save us," he heard Bowen Marsh cry out.
The smile that Lord Janos Slynt smiled then had all the sweetness of rancid butter. Until Jon said, "Edd, fetch me a block," and unsheathed Longclaw.

and the rest:

By the time a suitable chopping block was found, Lord Janos had retreated into the winch cage, but Iron Emmett went in after him and dragged him out. "No," Slynt cried, as Emmett half-shoved and half-pulled him across the yard. "Unhand me ... you cannot ... when Tywin Lannister hears of this, you will all rue - "

Emmett kicked his legs out from under him. Dolorous Edd planted a foot on his back to keep him on his knees as Emmett shoved the block beneath his head. "This will go easier if you stay still," Jon Snow promised him. "Move to avoid the cut, and you will still die, but your dying will be uglier. Stretch out your neck, my lord." The pale morning sunlight ran up and down his blade as Jon clasped the hilt of the bastard sword with both hands and raised it high. "If you have any last words, now is the time to speak them," he said, expecting one last curse.

Janos Slynt twisted his neck around to stare up at him. "Please, my lord. Mercy. I'll ... I'll go, I will, I ..."

No, thought Jon. You closed that door. Longclaw descended. "Can I have his boots?" asked Owen the Oaf, as Janos Slynt's head went rolling across the muddy ground. "They're almost new, those boots. Lined with fur."

Jon glanced back at Stannis. For an instant their eyes met. Then the king nodded and went back inside his tower.

Not sure if this is a small question but what is the point of Varys talking to Ned in the Black Cells? He wants the realm to be unstable for Aegon's eventual coming to Westeros right so having the Lannister's and Starks fighting each other is good for Aegon's cause. If he managed to send Ned to the wall, the war stops and the north quits the seven kingdoms anyways. It seems like there was more to lose than gain. Is it possible he was playing Ned and feeling him out and did not like what he heard and told Joffrey to cut off his head?

Is there any history stating what years AA killed his wife to forge Lightbringer?

As far as we know, that was before written history. Like some ten thousand years ago?

ETA: no millenium estimate to be found.

I have looked for it in

ACoK C 10 Davos I

ASoS C 54 Davos V

ADwD C 10 Jon III

What is it called when many different religions, in different cultures, scattered all over a world have the same basic premise and there stories all explain the same question with a similar archetype? Is it Fruedism or something like that?

Carl Jung is probably who you're thinking of, see this explanation of his work with archetypes:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jungian_archetypes

Not sure if this is a small question but what is the point of Varys talking to Ned in the Black Cells? He wants the realm to be unstable for Aegon's eventual coming to Westeros right so having the Lannister's and Starks fighting each other is good for Aegon's cause. If he managed to send Ned to the wall, the war stops and the north quits the seven kingdoms anyways. It seems like there was more to lose than gain. Is it possible he was playing Ned and feeling him out and did not like what he heard and told Joffrey to cut off his head?

Varys speaks with Illyrio in the dungeons earlier in the novel, and they conclude that there will be a war between the Lannisters (lions) and the Starks (wolves). Varys wants to hasten their plans, because he feels he can't delay any longer. Illyrio wants Varys to delay.

When Ned get's arrested, Varys get's his oppertunity to delay the upcomming war. With Ned at the Wall, Sansa at court as a hostage, Robb ordered to return to Winterfell, the Starks and the North will stay out of the war.

Varys wants to make the realm unstable for Aegon's invasion, but he had other plans for that. Not a war between Lannisters and Starks, but Viserys and his army of Dothraki. However, Roberts death creates too much chaos at once... and Varys' plans aren't ready for their next stage yet. So Varys speaks to Ned to delay at least part of the chaos.

Ned had accepted the terms. Had Joffrey indeed done what he was supposed to do, the North would not have gone to war, or declared themselves independent. That happened only after Ned's death.

Varys absolutely did not know that Ned's head would roll. This shows that Varys, though he knows much, doesn't know everything.

Archived