Winds of winter is "almost certainly years away".

Dendummenumse

Well... The only real information we DO have is what grrm gives us, and all he talks about is the cocteau and this event with that person coming and that event with this person coming and he'll see you all there... and remember - the last real word out of him about Winds, in his blog, anyway, was over a year ago... count the cocteau posts some time, if you don't want to get overly pessimistic about when (or if) Winds will be done...

Not really surprising, honestly, he had warned fans that he wouldn't be giving updates on TWoW.

He is actually not directly managing the Cocteau, some other people are doing that for him, so it doesn't take up that much of his time. And we really can't say that Winds is a 'side project' when we have no idea of how the progress is going. As far as I'm concerned, he could have strapped himself to a chair to finish it that we wouldn't know.

Well he certainly likes to say that he's not managing it, but as above, it's the single biggest topic in his nab... so to me, that is a fair indication of where he's having the most fun, and let's face it - he tends to do the things he finds fun more than the tedium of asoiaf - hell, he even spends (apparently, by his nab and the number being published) more time on wild cards and anthologies...

Just sayin....

Honestly, this could mean anything including nothing. Accounts of people like that are often handled by underlings. This could easily be a screw-up of a community manager who decided to talk about things he didn't know. Stuff like that happens.

Or it could also easily have been actually her who said that. In that case, was it locked and taken down because 2014 isn't ruled out yet? Or was simply because she can't say anything about it, wether what she says is true or false? Was it because it was true and they don't want us to know?

Bingo. Considering the remark wasn't retracted, but simply vanished, I'm guessing it was spot on, but the fans aren't supposed to be aware of that. It took him exactly five years to deliver AFFC and almost six for ADWD (which, by the way, was almost ready and supposed to hit bookstores the next year), and y'all think he'll do TWOW in three? Book 6 will be out in 2018, more likely than not, and I don't want to think too much about Book 7.

(And yes, Robin Hobb was making an obvious joke, did anybody really take it seriously?)

Bingo. Considering the remark wasn't retracted, but simply vanished, I'm guessing it was spot on, but the fans aren't supposed to be aware of that. It took him exactly five years to deliver AFFC and almost six for ADWD (which, by the way, was almost ready and supposed to hit bookstores the next year), and y'all think he'll do TWOW in three? Book 6 will be out in 2018, more likely than not, and I don't want to think too much about Book 7.

Actually, it as sort of retracted when she said that it was 'certainly not this year'. 2015 was never completely ruled out.

Well he certainly likes to say that he's not managing it, but as above, it's the single biggest topic in his nab... so to me, that is a fair indication of where he's having the most fun, and let's face it - he tends to do the things he finds fun more than the tedium of asoiaf - hell, he even spends (apparently, by his nab and the number being published) more time on wild cards and anthologies...

Just sayin....

That's true, but I don't think the nabs are a good indication, as he has said that he would purposely avoid posting updates. Also, TWoW being a lot more work than wild cards, it is normal that announcements will come at a slower pace, IMO.

Actually, it as sort of retracted when she said that it was 'certainly not this year'. 2015 was never completely ruled out.

Certainly not this year is sort of emphatic, as in LOLZ at the very idea of him finishing the book this year...which sounds bad to me. He should certainly be able to get the book out this year, 3 years since Dance if he really has gotten over his writers block or whatever his issue has been. So if he certainly can't get the book out for at least another year, I would think 2015 is even questionable.

So the show will def pass the books then. That really stinks, I was hoping that he would finish TWoW by 2015 at least to give the show material for season 6. I will be so disappointed if I have to get parts if the story and answers from the TV show. I know he writes at his own pace, but why wouldn't he just only focus on ASoIaF? He will prob be dead before finishing the series. I highly doubt he gets the entire story done in 7 books too. I ws thinking about that, it seems like there still is still potentially a lot of story left to tell.

That's true, but I don't think the nabs are a good indication, as he has said that he would purposely avoid posting updates. Also, TWoW being a lot more work than wild cards, it is normal that announcements will come at a slower pace, IMO.

...sigh... exactly my point - Winds is a lot more work, and he prefers fun...

I think we can take a quote from his nab at this point, and extend it to cover not just the HBO show, but Winds itself - just replace April with 2016/2017, and you'll be in (somewhat) safer territory...

April's not so far off. Really, it's not.

(Just keep telling yourself that).

http://grrm.livejournal.com/352905.html

...sigh... exactly my point - Winds is a lot more work, and he prefers fun...

I think we can take a quote from his nab at this point, and extend it to cover not just the HBO show, but Winds itself - just replace April with 2016/2017, and you'll be in (somewhat) safer territory...

yup, we wont be seeing the winds until at least 2016, if his last 2 books are any indication. Don't forget GRRM's favorite Wildcards character is The Amazing Turtle for a reason, lol

last time he was asked he said he was about a quarter of the way through the book, meaning he's not even sure if he's got that much done, lol

Just to quickly respond to something The Human Abstract said in the manuscript length thread, before it was locked...

Why do people keep saying "editor in the UK"? Why not just "editor"? Does he have multiple editors strewn out across the globe?

No doubt yes. Each individual national edition will probably have its own editor even in countries which speak the "same" language, as with any major international book. Although the bulk of editorial work will be done by the writer's usual editor, there are also national peculiarities to handle. For instance, an American turn of phrase that doesn't make sense in British English, or a description that's unintentionally dirty/offensive/confusing because certain words have different meanings in different countries. (A common British term for a cigarette is, in American, an offensive slur for a gay man.) Things like that.

I'm sure she was being honest, but there is probably a policy that no employees of the publisher can make any comment regarding the release date. I'm sure GRRM would like to avoid any resentment from the rabid fan base. Either way, I wouldn't interpret the tweet's removal as being due to inaccuracy.

I did post this subject twice as I was in a hurry and would like to clarify its content as the link is now broken.

I did not know what forum was the appropriate. I had to be approved for this one and the other was just the general chat (where it is now closed).

It all started at a post from on reddit:

http://www.reddit.com/r/books/comments/1vwb4s/hello_rbooks_i_am_author_robin_hobb_ama/cewhz6d

From here they linked to the UK publisher of Martins books (it has now been deleted as seen from the original link).

Her comment was that the book was likely years away and probably very unlikely to come out this year.

I know that these forums don't want speculations posted. But this was very concrete and I was personally quite discouraged by the message she brought, as I am quite a enthutiastic reader of these forums and reader of the books.

I personally believe that what she said was correct. I don't see why else she would delete her post without any further clarifications.

Bizarre that they would come out and rubbish the rumor .They normally don't care about speculation, seems like a bluff to cover up a leak to me.

I was saying weeks ago that a July 2014 release date makes the most sense. If the original comment was a joke I don't see the funny side.

I mean what's funny about that?

Considering the remark wasn't retracted, but simply vanished, I'm guessing it was spot on, but the fans aren't supposed to be aware of that.

I'm guessing that in her haste, Jane Johnson fired off a bemused "July 2014? Girl, please"-type answer saying that publication was almost certainly years away as a knee-jerk reaction to what she knew to be a ridiculous statement. She saw something that was completely hilarious, given what she knew about the progress of TWOW, and jumped on it. Of course, once the moment had passed, I can only assume she thought better of blurting out that publication was years away. Thus the deleted comment and the more moderate, slightly more hopeful, slightly more cagey, and much more misleading "Certainly not this year" comment when asked. (Almost certainly "years" = almost certainly 2016, meaning a suggestion of a 2015 publication date, which is what Jane Johnson was trying to imply, was misleading at best.)

It will be interesting to see whether any of the major website/media journalists interviewing GRRM when Season 4 airs make use of that deleted tweet--or even of Jane Johnson's slightly more optimistic tweet--when interviewing GRRM about the show overtaking the books. Would make his usual hemming and hawing about his need to stay ahead of the train (of the show) and the writers having plenty of book material to keep them busy ring a little more hollow this time around, no? :D Even last season, those questions to GRRM were getting pretty awkward and uncomfortable; it should be doubly so as it becomes abundantly clear to everyone that the show is going to outpace the books.

The fact that the tweet was taken down could either be very good or very bad. The way I see it, it means that the book won't be out until at least 2016, but GRRM is trying to cover up his lack of progress OR the book isn't too far from being finished and the "years away" comment was incorrect. As much as I wish it was the latter, given the 'certainly not this year' tweet I fear that it is the former. I guess 2015 is still a possibility. but I no longer have my hopes up. At least I still have the tv show...

At least I still have the tv show...

I think more and more will start facing up to the sobering possibility that the TV show might provide the only ending we're ever going to get.

I am seeing posts on other boards and websites with posters swearing up and down that they're going to stop watching when the show overtakes the books, to keep themselves "pure" for the books. Ha! We shall see.

Really, though, assuming nine seasons for GOT, assuming a 2016 release date for TWOW (the earliest possible date based on current information if the "years" comment can be taken at face value), and assuming five years after that until ADOS is published in 2021 (being the same period of time it took to release TWOW after ADWD, assuming 2016 TWOW), that really means that we'd only have to wait another two years after the end of GOT for the books' ending, and after (what would be by then) 23 years (from AGOT publication to Season 9 of GOT), what would be another two?

They normally don't care about speculation, seems like a bluff to cover up a leak to me. I was saying weeks ago that a July 2014 release date makes the most sense.

Oh, there was a leak all right, but the leak wasn't Robin Hobb's joke, it was Jane Johnson (or whatever unfortunate intern is charged with the task of operating her Twitter account) blurting out that publication is "almost certainly" years away. If that tweet were an attempt at casting doubt on Robin Hobb's accidentally revealing the release date, why was it deleted?

It's funny that when Grrm gives updates the fans complain to him but when he doesn't say anything they complain to each other. I like to think that if he gave little updates here and there it would be enough for us to shut up. We've heard nothing concrete since last April. If he were to just say, "I'm halfway through." that would be enough for us to go on for a while.

It's funny that when Grrm gives updates the fans complain to him but when he doesn't say anything they complain to each other. I like to think that if he gave little updates here and there it would be enough for us to shut up. We've heard nothing concrete since last April. If he were to just say, "I'm halfway through." that would be enough for us to go on for a while.

And if he said, "I'm only 1/4th done still"? Fans would be rioting online. Which is why there's no word. He's lost his inspiration, and the writing has slowed to a glacial pace (a half a page per day since 2000). There's not much point in updating fans with confirmation of a lack of progress. It will be done when it's done.

The upside of no updates is that we can delude ourselves into thinking he's much further along than he actually is. The downside of no updates is that we have no idea just how completely ridiculous our optimism is.

The upside of updates is that we know how far long GRRM is. The downside of updates is that we know just how far along GRRM is, and just how far, far away completion is.

So it's pretty much lose-lose. :D

And if he said, "I'm only 1/4th done still"? Fans would be rioting online. Which is why there's no word. He's lost his inspiration, and the writing has slowed to a glacial pace (a half a page per day since 2000). There's not much point in updating fans with confirmation of a lack of progress. It will be done when it's done.

To be fair, if my fanbase was as rabid and demanding as ASOIAF fans, I'd be disclined to post status updates, too. However, I'd probably go the opposite route and post annoyingly detailed, hour-by-hour status updates of me going about my day, running errands, etc...doing everything but writing except for the occasional entry ("Wrote a paragraph describing a feast. Rewrote sequence of courses three times, taking into account lamb symbolism relative to boar symbolism. Omitted lamprey pie mention after careful consideration."). Pretty sure that would drive some fans to a nervous breakdown in short order. :D

Archived