Winds of winter is "almost certainly years away".

Dendummenumse

Liam cunninghams statement last year that George told him he was half way through WOW + Roy Dotrice stating that George was nearly finished the next book and he should be recording it soon + Robin Hobb's comment that winds of winter is scheduled to be released in July + the doomsday senario that the show overtakes the books = Everyone still being confused and me sitting in the corner smiling because I know its coming out this summer :)

OMG the math post is hilarious.

I don't know why he isn't focused, why he published a novella, why he does all of these other side projects. I believe his story has still gotten away from him, which is why his once quick writing pace has slowed to a crawl and he distracts himself with this other stuff.

IF the "Meereen knot" problem was really solved then the next book should come out this year, 3 years from Dance's publication, which puts him back on track w/his previous time frame. If the UK publisher can be believed and this is "certainly" not happening, then he's no where on pace.

Liam cunninghams statement last year that George told him he was half way through WOW + Roy Dotrice stating that George was nearly finished the next book and he should be recording it soon + Robin Hobb's comment that winds of winter is scheduled to be released in July + the doomsday senario that the show overtakes the books = Everyone still being confused and me sitting in the corner smiling because I know its coming out this summer :)

Well, it's not. 100%. And those comments are pretty much irrelevant now. People have overinterpreted them and became way too hopeful and optimistic.

Not to mention that a Knight of the Seven Kingdoms has been postponed to 2015. I like thinking it is a possible hint because they don't want to publish it in the same year as WOW.

I certainly hope you are right. There's been a lot of rumors lately that Martin might be further into TWOW than we though, but the ma(p)th never lies. According to the counting based on his own statement last year, we're still about 3,5 years away from TWOW's release.

Not to mention that a Knight of the Seven Kingdoms has been postponed to 2015. I like thinking it is a possible hint because they don't want to publish it in the same year as WOW.

I guess you could read that two ways, you could read that as a book is coming out this year or the book isn't coming out until at least 2016. What I wonder is why is he even working on this stuff AT ALL. Why doesn't he confine himself to Book 6?

I certainly hope you are right. There's been a lot of rumors lately that Martin might be further into TWOW than we though, but the ma(p)th never lies. According to the counting based on his own statement last year, we're still about 3,5 years away from TWOW's release.

Although the question of when TWOW will be released certainly has a mathematical side, I think that there are simply too many variables at play to be able yo say that the math never lies. Especially when the statistics are so old; whe haven't had an actual update since April 2013, and no actual numbers since October 2012. This huge gaps in statistics makes this already highly hypothetical exercise even less reliable. I think we should wait and see.

I guess you could read that two ways, you could read that as a book is coming out this year or the book isn't coming out until at least 2016. What I wonder is why is he even working on this stuff AT ALL. Why doesn't he confine himself to Book 6?

Well, as far as I know, A knight of the seven kingdoms will comprise the 3 novellas already published, so it shouldn't affect WOW'writing. That's why I find its delay promising. But I know I am too optimistic.

Or rather with TWOIAF. So, this year we get "The World", in 2015 three old and really old D&E stories printed gloriously together, in 2016 maybe, maybe "She-wolves of Winterfell", in 2017 finally the estimated release date for TWOW, which will be set to summer 2018... unless something happens to postpone it.

Or rather with TWOIAF. So, this year we get "The World", in 2015 three old and really old D&E stories printed gloriously together, in 2016 maybe, maybe "She-wolves of Winterfell", in 2017 finally the estimated release date for TWOW, which will be set to summer 2018... unless something happens to postpone it.

I refuse to believe he will be that bad. Though the publishing of the novellas in 2015 seems strange. I can't see him getting it done this year, can't see it. I suppose they might think publishing the novellas in the same year as the book would increase their sales? Is that possible? Seems kind of counter intuitive, but since they are not new I now realize...perhaps thats it. So maybe next year is the year? If its 2016 that would it's another 5 years since he supposedly solved all his plot problems....

There is something about this whole situation with the show catching up with the books that baffles me. Why didn't GRRM make sure he had a backup-plan with HBO in case this situation would arise? Is he so out of touch with reality that he thought there was no chance that this would happen? He should have had a condition in his contract with HBO that said that if the show surpasses the books, then HBO would have to make their alternative story from that point. GRRM could even help them to flesh out a main course to an alternative ending.

It wouldn't surprise me if this is what's gonna happen anyway. Already the show is diverging more and more from the books in every new season. When (not if, when) the show catches up with the books, they will more or less be on their own anyway. With no book to base this upon, they will have to make up all the bits and pieces by themselves. So if GRRM kindly asks HBO to make a different direction for the show as not to destroy his lifes work by spoiling the major plot points, and at the same time ruining the experience for millions of readers that have followed this saga for years and years, the why shouldn't they? If they have to make up most of it by themselves anyway, why should they insist on spoiling the major plot points in the coming books that GRRM hasn't written yet? If they would choose to go against GRRM on this, than that would be a very unpopular decision.

If the worst should happen, and they do spoil all the major plot points of the upcoming books, the that's it. I really can't see how GRRM would have the inspiration to finish this if all the major plot points of his great work has been spoiled before he writes them himself. He'll just think "To hell with it, there is no point in finishing this now. At least i earned a lot of money".

I am pretty sure Martin stated that he will work on the "She-wolves of Winterfell" after Winds of Winter. Anyways, you are probably right: there's TWOIAF this year. :crying:

I'm starting to think GRRM is never gonna finish this series. Let's face it, 65 and overweight isn't a good combo. Either way, I agree with what seems to be the overwhelming consensus on here: The show will definitely overtake the books. Oh well

Pretty much. Let's break it down, assuming (generously) a nine-season show, that GRRM is going to finish the series, and that GRRM can finish the series in seven books:

1. Scenario 1: Seasons 5 and 6 are only AFFC/ADWD, released in 2015 and 2016, Season 7 is TWOW and beyond. Season 7 is written in early 2016, aired in 2017. GRRM has until 2016 to get the writers plot points for TWOW, and until early 2017 to release TWOW to stay ahead of the show. GRRM has until 2018 to get the writers plot points for ADOS, and until early 2019 to release ADOS to stay ahead of the show.

2. Scenario 2: Season 6 substantially gets into TWOW material, released in 2016, written in early 2015. GRRM has until 2015 to get the writers plot points for TWOW, and until early 2016 to release TWOW to stay ahead of the show. GRRM has until 2017 to get the writers plot points for ADOS, and until early 2018 to release ADOS to stay ahead of the show.

It seems like he can still stay ahead of the show for TWOW comfortably, but it seems like he's screwed for ADOS unless he can release the book--not just finish it, but release it--by early 2019, and even if TWOW were published tomorrow (and not "years" away), that would only give him five years to do it. I'm also skeptical that Seasons 5 and 6 won't get into TWOW material at all, as under Scenario 1, since Season 4 is already dipping into AFFC/ADWD territory for a few plots, and since there's so much fat to trim from AFFC/ADWD (unlike, say, ASOS, which also took two seasons).

There is something about this whole situation with the show catching up with the books that baffles me. Why didn't GRRM make sure he had a backup-plan with HBO in case this situation would arise?

One could equally wonder what the showrunners' plan was if GRRM couldn't stay ahead of the show.

I read one fairly recent interview (2013ish) where GRRM, when pressed on the issue, insisted that there was plenty of material in AFFC and ADWD to cover several seasons (or words to that effect). I suspect the showrunners know better.

So if GRRM kindly asks HBO to make a different direction for the show as not to destroy his lifes work by spoiling the major plot points, and at the same time ruining the experience for millions of readers that have followed this saga for years and years, the why shouldn't they?

You seriously think those millions of readers will care if the ending is spoiled for them by the show, if the alternative is not getting an ending at all, or not getting an ending for another five years beyond the show's ending? A few book purists, maybe, but those "millions" of readers are by and large not fanatical, persnickety book purists who insist on staying "pure" for the books (an ASOIAF virginity pledge of sorts). They are, however, impatient for an ending, as well they should be.

All these side projects are bs, who needs twoiaf? Really, who needs it? It seems like that is just a way to make some money for nothing. The show is going to catch him and will do so in two or three years. Even if he got WoW out, he will never get AdOS out in time. In fact I doubt we will ever see a dream of spring.

Yes, he is that out of touch with reality. Look at all the updates he did for Dance that turned out to be, um, unrealistic, shall we say?

And, I think I'm right that they started the HBO negotiations a couple years before the show aired, so that would make him severely out of touch w/reality, meaning he probably expected Dance would be out years before it came out....and now....3 years since then, and all signs point to a minimum of 4 years until the next book.

Highly doubt the show would go 9 seasons. 8 tops imo

I don't see how season 6 could rely on solely feast and dance material either.

Again, they're generous estimates. GOT is incredibly expensive, but it's also HBO's flagship show at this point, and incredibly popular. That could change, granted, especially when the narrative starts to sag around AFFC and ADWD, and if viewers start deserting in droves then even Season 7 might be iffy. As it is, though, I'm comfortable with a nine-season guess, at least for the purposes of argument.

Eight seasons would mean TWOW material by Season 6 at the latest, I agree, and ADOS material by Season 8 at the latest, which means GRRM has until 2016 to release TWOW (doable) and until 2018 to release ADOS (impossible).

Archived