Small Questions v 10023

Stubby

I have Android. :)

But what's a VPN exactly and where can I download it?

Won't it mess up anything on my Phone? (whatsapp and all that?

I'm not very good with things like this, I must admit..

With Apple it is ridiculously easy to bypass the country restriction. Android is a little more complicated.

A VPN will hide your location. A good free VPN is Hotspot Shield. Try downloading that. You will have to create a new email account. If you are asked to enter an address or telephone number, be sure to enter a valid US one. Use Google maps for this. Remember you will need to purchase Play Store vouchers in order to buy apps from the play store. Which country are you in?

On Doran:

His mother had several miscarriages and gave birth to children who died in their first years in between him and Elia.

He was 9 when his sister was born, a page to Lord Gargalen.

I think the way his decision to fight for the Loyalists during RR is worded is quite interesting:

(that comes just after his anger at Rhaegar's way of treating Lyanna that you mentionned.)

The rest is pretty much exactly what we get from the books.

On Elia:

I'm sure you know, but little Rhaenys looked like her, whereas Aegon took after his father.

On Oberyn:

He was sixteen at the time of the duel with Lord Yronwood (not sure if his exact age was given in the books or just that he was young).

His trying to raise Dorne for Viserys is confirmed. He went in person to Braavos to sign the betrothal of Arianne and Viserys.

His correspondence with Willas is also confirmed (somehow I wasn't too sure about the truthfulness of it :P)

On Arianne:

She is twenty-three (again, I am so bad with ages I am not positive it comes directly from the books).

She did not just sleep with Daemon Sand, he was actually her first, and she told Doran right after like "deal with it."

So it's not just Gerold she's known intimately among the Queenmakers.

The way it is worded, Darkstar meant to actually kill Myrcella.

Also, Tyene and her conspired together to crown Myrcella before the Sand Snakes were arrested - I figured they might have come up with the same idea independantly.

There's nothing new on Quentyn or Trystane that I can tell.

(Sorry about everything that was canon, I only just started my AFfC reread.)

Thank you :) You were very quick to respond :) Interesting to see that Arianne has slept with multiple men from her Queenmakers. I wonder who it was, that'll become another reread of her chapters I guess xD

I can see Arianne telling Doran that she slept with Daemon to get back at him for the letter he was writing Quentyn (she found the letter when she was 14, and she slept with Daemon with when she was 14; I can see that as the reason, even though she wouldn't tell Doran why she did it)

It is interesting that Oberyn's reaction to Rhaegar's actions at the Tourney aren't stated. We know Oberyn was present at the Tourney. Isn't it stated if Doran was present as well? Or is it stated that he was still in Dorne?

With Apple it is ridiculously easy to bypass the country restriction. Android is a little more complicated.

A VPN will hide your location. A good free VPN is Hotspot Shield. Try downloading that. You will have to create a new email account. If you are asked to enter an address or telephone number, be sure to enter a valid US one. Use Google maps for this. Remember you will need to purchase Play Store vouchers in order to buy apps from the play store. Which country are you in?

I'm in the Netherlands

It is interesting that Oberyn's reaction to Rhaegar's actions at the Tourney aren't stated. We know Oberyn was present at the Tourney. Isn't it stated if Doran was present as well? Or is it stated that he was still in Dorne?

Nothing is said one way or the other. For both brothers, it just mentions "during Robert's Rebellion", not the tourney itself.

What is this app that you are talking about?

The World of Ice and Fire, an Apple/Android app on asoiaf.

A lot of the stuff in it was written by Ran and Linda under GRRM's supervision, so it's semi-canon.

There is also art for several characters and places from different artists, some of which I find wonderful.

The World of Ice and Fire, an Apple/Android app on asoiaf.

A lot of the stuff in it was written by Ran and Linda under GRRM's supervision, so it's semi-canon.

There is also art for several characters and places from different artists, some of which I find wonderful.

I wouldn't classify the info in the app as semi canon but rather secondary canon. As in the info in the app is correct unless contradicted by the books.

Just wanting a quick update on the Syrio Forel topic. On his wiki page (-> http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Syrio_Forel ) it says that he died in 298 in KL. Did I miss something? Has Martin confirmed his death? As far as I know his death was never confirmed and the status quo was that he had very little chances of surviving Ser Meryn in all his steel plate, but nobody talked about him dying again. (Except for Arya ofc, who can't know whether he's dead)

Just wanting a quick update on the Syrio Forel topic. On his wiki page (-> http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Syrio_Forel ) it says that he died in 298 in KL. Did I miss something? Has Martin confirmed his death? As far as I know his death was never confirmed and the status quo was that he had very little chances of surviving Ser Meryn in all his steel plate, but nobody talked about him dying again. (Except for Arya ofc, who can't know whether he's dead)

No confirmation of his death in the text.

My personal belief is that he is dead. I don't see what purpose Syrio being alive would serve to progress the story.

GRRM was asked in an SSM IIRC, and it was something like: "he had a wooden sword and the other guys were armored with steel swords. What do you think?"

So Syrio seems pretty dead to me.

"Tom o' Sevens pulled off his boots and rubbed his feet. 'I must be mad, to be going back to Riverrun,' the singer complained. 'The Tullys have never been lucky for old Tom. It was that Lysa sent me up the high road, when the moon men took my gold and my horse and all my clothes as well.'" (ASOS, Arya).

Any idea whether Lysa did this before or after Tom became part of the BWB?

"Tom o' Sevens pulled off his boots and rubbed his feet. 'I must be mad, to be going back to Riverrun,' the singer complained. 'The Tullys have never been lucky for old Tom. It was that Lysa sent me up the high road, when the moon men took my gold and my horse and all my clothes as well.'" (ASOS, Arya).

Any idea whether Lysa did this before or after Tom became part of the BWB?

I think it would have to be before, as the BwB formed from the remnants of Beric Dondarrion's men that Ned sent out.

ETA: and if the Moon Men were in the mountain, this must be before Tyrion wins them over

Thank you. :)

And can I just apologise for all these small insignificant questions. Dunk and Egg bring up these little niggles, I suppose because its my first read.

No need to apologise. There is no such thing as a silly question. :) This is why the SQ thread exists.

Archived