Meet the New Production Designer

Westeros

Bran/Tree is going to be the new power couple on the show, to replace Robb and Talisa.

Hmmm... so Bran is going to impregnate the tree (my eyes! They burn! :stunned: ) after which both will get stabbed and murdered by treasonous Reed siblings? I like this actually.

Is that Sansa next to Cersei on Joffrey's wedding? :blink:

It looks like it... well, technichally she's Joffrey's aunt now.

It seems that those are Tywin, Cersei, Sansa and the blond head might be Tommen on the first row from the right side. Then the second row would be Tyrion, Oberyn and a brunette (Ellaria?). And Pycelle is the guy behind Tyrion.

It looks like it... well, technichally she's Joffrey's aunt now.

It seems that those are Tywin, Cersei, Sansa and the blond head might be Tommen on the first row from the right side. Then the second row would be Tyrion, Oberyn and a brunette (Ellaria?). And Pycelle is the guy behind Tyrion.

I rewatched the trailer, were they show the same people from the front, and there you can see that Sansa is actually placed behind Cersei, next to Tyrion. That makes more sense.

The lack of Kevan is concerning...

I think Kevan is going to be cut, or at least not used to the extent that we hope. He's not essential, and

his death at Varys' hands can be done using Pycelle instead of Kevan. Won't quite be as gutting for the audience, but it will ultimately serve the same purpose.

That definitely looks like the scene where Jorah gets exiled. I can't imagine why else he would be slowly walking up to where she is on her bench (BTW nice for them to stay in canon of her having a bench rather than an actual throne); he hasn't had to be that formal with Dany since he first met her in season 1. Also the way that Barristan and Grey Worm seem to move forward guardingly when he gets close to Dany suggests they see him as an enemy. Odd that Daario isn't shown in this scene since, oddly, he is actually supposed to be there and suggest that he take off Jorahs head once he leaves. I guess he could be to one side, but he speaks to Daenerys so it looks like he isn't there. Don't understand why the show would put Daario in where hes not and then cut the few lines he actually has in those two ASOS chapters. Maybe they think hes too much of a bastard suggesting that Dany kill Jorah and might affect audience perception of him. Maybe its because the show will avoid the insinuation that Dany would actually consider killing Jorah as she seriously does in the books multiple times.

I have no idea how the show thinks it can balance setting up exiling Jorah, along with Danys romance with Daario from ADWD, as well as dragons eating children and from the trailer an expanded focus on her early rule of Meereen where shes a little bit harsher. In the books this last bit is very brief and more of a wrap up to set up ADWD where shes all meek. So far they have done nothing to set up Jorah being exiled. I doubt most Unsullied even remember Jorahs spying in the first season (no idea how they can't make it look like Dany is over-reacting), plus theres been next to no drama or interaction between these two from last season. In ASOS, there is a lot of Jorah/Dany drama which is there to build up him being exiled as a big deal for Dany. If the show does what it did last season with a few minute snippet of Dany each episode it will struggle to cram all of that into one series. The show really pressed for time and I feel like they are cramming stuff into series 4 when they no longer have the time per character to deliver these stories.

So far they have done nothing to set up Jorah being exiled. I doubt most Unsullied even remember Jorahs spying in the first season (no idea how they can't make it look like Dany is over-reacting), plus theres been next to no drama or interaction between these two from last season.

They have still have an entire season to get Jorah exiled. What's important is that he is in Volantis when Tyrion gets there so those two can meet. They can get their drama and interaction from either:

1) love triangle with Dario or

2) Dany's failures as a ruler, which Jorah will most like adress.

As for the Unsullied, all it takes is showing two clips from season 1 in the "previously on GoT" segment: Varys mentioning a spy in Essos and the little boy handing Jorah his pardon.

In S3, they had Jorah questioning Barristan about whether he was part of the Small Council with Robert and whether he was in the inner circle. The expression on his face as he asked those questions made it pretty clear that he was fishing for info on whether Barristan knew about his spying. I'm not entirely sure what else they can do to foreshadow this since it's, y'know, a secret that only Jorah is aware of right now.

In terms of them building up the tension between Jorah and Dany, Jorah and Barristan had a couple pointed conversations about where each other sat in the pecking order with her and Jorah clearly feels threatened by Selmy's new position to usurp him as top advisor.

And, of course it's been obvious since Daario came on board that he's been jealous. The money shot was the devastating look on his face after the Yunkaii raid when all Dany cared about was whether or not Daario had survived. The camera lingered on his face for quite a while to emphasize this. It's pretty easy to see that he's being forced out already for anyone who's adept at following television drama. The seeds have all been sown.

I'm not sure why anyone would claim that they haven't set anything up yet. S3 did a great job of starting down the road and since it appears as if Jorah's not getting banished until late in S4, there is almost another full season for them to build it up even further.

Kind of a silly complaint to make to be honest.

In S3, they had Jorah questioning Barristan about whether he was part of the Small Council with Robert and whether he was in the inner circle. The expression on his face as he asked those questions made it pretty clear that he was fishing for info on whether Barristan knew about his spying. I'm not entirely sure what else they can do to foreshadow this since it's, y'know, a secret that only Jorah is aware of right now.

In terms of them building up the tension between Jorah and Dany, Jorah and Barristan had a couple pointed conversations about where each other sat in the pecking order with her and Jorah clearly feels threatened by Selmy's new position to usurp him as top advisor.

And, of course it's been obvious since Daario came on board that he's been jealous. The money shot was the devastating look on his face after the Yunkaii raid when all Dany cared about was whether or not Daario had survived. The camera lingered on his face for quite a while to emphasize this. It's pretty easy to see that he's being forced out already for anyone who's adept at following television drama. The seeds have all been sown.

I'm not sure why anyone would claim that they haven't set anything up yet. S3 did a great job of starting down the road and since it appears as if Jorah's not getting banished until late in S4, there is almost another full season for them to build it up even further.

Kind of a silly complaint to make to be honest.

No they have not set anything up. Mainly because Daenerys never speaks to Jorah and therefore there is no tension between Jorah/Dany as there is in the novels before his exile. Compare that to the books where at the very start of ASOS you have make a sexual advance and this sets the tone of the various heated conflicts that they have during the whole book. They have at least two major arguments, one at the docks of Astapor where she slaps him acorss the face and again just after meeting Daario where she acuses him of being jealous. We then have two whole chapters where the discovery and resolution of his exile is pretty much the main thing that goes on. The Battle of Meereen itself is simply relayed to us once we know that Dany has won and its more to point out that Jorah helped win the city and she exiles him anyway. I just judge the show by the standard set by the books. They have set NOTHING up. All you know is that Jorah still really likes Daenerys and he doesn't intend to leave as Barristan suggested he must. Barristan has just been shown as another goon and the only advice he gives her is on the Unsullied which she ignores. If this were a real issue then we would have seen Jorah talk to Daenerys about being jealous. Plus, hes crest-fallen about Dany being interested in Daario but this is a very anecdotal scene which is only foreshadowing and BTW if you read the scene Daario is NOT the focus of that scene at all. He simply serves as a set-up for another argument between Jorah and Dany. Again, those scenes are nothing more than cryptic foreshadowing that don't really involve Daenerys and are more about setting up new characters than creating a dynamic between Jorah/Dany to set up his exile. Its not a silly complaint to suggest that they cut out a very prominent part of ASOS. Not two scenes where we confirm what we already know and a little bit of foreshadowing. Dany barely speaks to Jorah in season 3 and most of what he says is invented material or lifted from Barristans dialogue.

BTW if Barristan had such an issue with Jorah then the person he should be speaking with and involving in this story is Daenerys. He should be telling Dany to let him go; not Jorah himself. It would piss me off no end if the show suddenly has Dany go off the rails in season 4 as if she is magically aware and involved in any of those above scenes like accuse Jorah of being jealous or pushing away other men. When has he done that exactly? You had no problem with Barristan telling Jorah to get lost behind your back (which is disrespecting her BTW because shes implicitly pardoned Jorah). Dany didn't even bat an eyelash when he said Daario could sell them out. He said nothing about Barristan. In fact Barristan told Jorah to get lost (which is one of those bizarre invented scenes because Barri DESPISES Jorah).

Also they had ONE pointed conversation. Which as I said above is just foreshadowing, dumb, non canon and went against Barristans characterization.

But basically by the Battle of Yunkai there is meant to have been a lot more than foreshadowing as regards Dany/Jorah. You have a ton of stuff that they want to cover this season. We only get two minutes per each main POV on this show per episode. Believe me, by the time they explain all the other stuff there isn't going to be time to invent new context to put all that back in. Plus it would be stupid to try to mix Daario romance in with it. Daario has nothing to do with him being exiled or why he makes a move on Daenerys. In the books he is introduced very late in ASOS and his future role merely hinted at. By the time he is part of the party, Jorahs spying is about to be revealed.

Re-read ASOS and notes how often Dany either speaks to or thinks about Jorah and her problems with him. Note how often this is done pointedly and at the end of one of Danys ASOS chapters. Why do you think he kisses her at the start of the first ASOS chapter and then gets exiled at the final one? Its the central drama that takes place during Danys ASOS arc. Its not a few looks and quiet words with Barristan where Dany seems out of the loop entirely.

No they have not set anything up. Mainly because Daenerys never speaks to Jorah and therefore there is no tension between Jorah/Dany as there is in the novels before his exile. Compare that to the books where at the very start of ASOS you have make a sexual advance and this sets the tone of the various heated conflicts that they have during the whole book. They have at least two major arguments, one at the docks of Astapor where she slaps him acorss the face and again just after meeting Daario where she acuses him of being jealous. We then have two whole chapters where the discovery and resolution of his exile is pretty much the main thing that goes on. The Battle of Meereen itself is simply relayed to us once we know that Dany has won and its more to point out that Jorah helped win the city and she exiles him anyway. I just judge the show by the standard set by the books. They have set NOTHING up. All you know is that Jorah still really likes Daenerys and he doesn't intend to leave as Barristan suggested he must. Barristan has just been shown as another goon and the only advice he gives her is on the Unsullied which she ignores. If this were a real issue then we would have seen Jorah talk to Daenerys about being jealous. Plus, hes crest-fallen about Dany being interested in Daario but this is a very anecdotal scene which is only foreshadowing and BTW if you read the scene Daario is NOT the focus of that scene at all. He simply serves as a set-up for another argument between Jorah and Dany. Again, those scenes are nothing more than cryptic foreshadowing that don't really involve Daenerys and are more about setting up new characters than creating a dynamic between Jorah/Dany to set up his exile. Its not a silly complaint to suggest that they cut out a very prominent part of ASOS. Not two scenes where we confirm what we already know and a little bit of foreshadowing. Dany barely speaks to Jorah in season 3 and most of what he says is invented material or lifted from Barristans dialogue.

BTW if Barristan had such an issue with Jorah then the person he should be speaking with and involving in this story is Daenerys. He should be telling Dany to let him go; not Jorah himself. It would piss me off no end if the show suddenly has Dany go off the rails in season 4 as if she is magically aware and involved in any of those above scenes like accuse Jorah of being jealous or pushing away other men. When has he done that exactly? You had no problem with Barristan telling Jorah to get lost behind your back (which is disrespecting her BTW because shes implicitly pardoned Jorah). Dany didn't even bat an eyelash when he said Daario could sell them out. He said nothing about Barristan. In fact Barristan told Jorah to get lost (which is one of those bizarre invented scenes because Barri DESPISES Jorah).

Also they had ONE pointed conversation. Which as I said above is just foreshadowing, dumb, non canon and went against Barristans characterization.

But basically by the Battle of Yunkai there is meant to have been a lot more than foreshadowing as regards Dany/Jorah. You have a ton of stuff that they want to cover this season. We only get two minutes per each main POV on this show per episode. Believe me, by the time they explain all the other stuff there isn't going to be time to invent new context to put all that back in. Plus it would be stupid to try to mix Daario romance in with it. Daario has nothing to do with him being exiled or why he makes a move on Daenerys. In the books he is introduced very late in ASOS and his future role merely hinted at. By the time he is part of the party, Jorahs spying is about to be revealed.

Re-read ASOS and notes how often Dany either speaks to or thinks about Jorah and her problems with him. Note how often this is done pointedly and at the end of one of Danys ASOS chapters. Why do you think he kisses her at the start of the first ASOS chapter and then gets exiled at the final one? Its the central drama that takes place during Danys ASOS arc. Its not a few looks and quiet words with Barristan where Dany seems out of the loop entirely.

Hyperbolic nonsense, which seems to ignore entirely a good portion of the dynamic between these two characters that have been set up throughout the first three seasons (because ignoring 2/3 of the story, as it's been presented in the show thus far, is just dumb). To say nothing of the fact that the highlighted portions of your quote simply aren't true. And the "non-canon" comment is irrelevant, as it pertains to the books - the show has its own 'canon'. You have seen the show, right?

I'm a non-book-reader, but it's very obvious just from watching the TV show that Jorah is

1. in love with Daenerys

2. not happy that Daario joined them and that Daenerys seem to like/love Daario

3. not really happy that Ser Barristan joined them

4. really relieved that Ser Barristan was not on Robert's councel and so doesn't know about Jorah's spy-work.

You're alone on this one my friend. Not worth getting your panties in a bunch, I assure you.

I'm a non-book-reader, but it's very obvious just from watching the TV show that Jorah is

1. in love with Daenerys

4. really relieved that Ser Barristan was not on Robert's councel and so doesn't know about Jorah's spy-work.

Pretty much.

Hyperbolic nonsense, which seems to ignore entirely a good portion of the dynamic between these two characters that have been set up throughout the first three seasons (because ignoring 2/3 of the story, as it's been presented in the show thus far, is just dumb). To say nothing of the fact that the highlighted portions of your quote simply aren't true. And the "non-canon" comment is irrelevant, as it pertains to the books - the show has its own 'canon'. You have seen the show, right?

You're alone on this one my friend. Not worth getting your panties in a bunch, I assure you.

What happens in the first two series is reflective of scenes which take place during the books which set up and foreshadow what takes place during ASOS. The only thing I exagerated slightly was the two minutes part, it may be more than that but it certainly feels like we get next to no time with any of these characters despite the sprawling nature of the series. ASOS, which is what season 3 was supposed to be, removed a lot of the Jorah/Dany drama which sets up his exile. Again, I implore you to re-read ASOS and take note of how prominent this is in Danys story. Its not something that goes on the backburner as the show would have it and not some footnote thing that happens at the end.

We have not seen:

Jorahs sexual interest cause a major argument with Daenerys as it does in the books. Shes uncomfortable in the Qarth scene but Jorah never actually says what he means and this is the shows take on when Dany first realises he likes her in ACOK. She is a lot, lot, more bothered by this when he actually makes a move on her.

Jorah trying to push men away who are no threat to Dany and most importantly Dany taking extreme exception to this. Now they did adapt the conversation they have on Daario to Xaro. But, this is stupid because Xaro does betray Dany in the series and the argument they have is much more heated than this.

Jorah being jealous. This comes across several times in the novel and most importantly this ticks off Daenerys.

It is important to establish that Dany is already incredibly mad at Jorah and that things are on the ropes even before hes exiled. In season 3 you can infer certain things but because they don't bring Dany into this story its ultimately not doing what takes place in the books; hence they have not set up his exile. Whats important is how Dany feels about this and why this feeds into her exiling him. Not Jorah monologing about how he loves Dany or giving brooding glances at Daario. By the time they get to Meereen where season 4 begins Danys position on all of these points is made crystal clear with everything set up for when they reveal his betrayel.

Now, are you really telling me that you think the series has the time to put back cut material from ASOS between Jorah/Dany, deal with his exile, expand Danys conquest of Meereen, show us the battle, have the dragons child eating and their capture and finally have Danys romance with Daario. You clearly don't believe the show has limited time for its characters and I think you're living in coo coo land if you think theres enough time to do all of that. Also, most casual viewers will not remember that Jorah was a spy or the circumstances and will probably assume that whatever issues they hinted at in ACOK.

@King Tommen - Oh if it was the hound you'd be bitching no end at having his whole storyline got cut. I get it. People like you love edgy "badass" characters who don't give a shit about other peoples opinions.

I think Kevan is going to be cut, or at least not used to the extent that we hope. He's not essential,

Why do you say that? He's appeared briefly but where necessary in each of the last three seasons. Just because we don't get a glimpse of Kevan in the trailer or behind the scenes video does not mean that he isn't in Season 4. 'Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence' as the saying goes. The stuff that HBO reveals in these things is designed to whet viewers' appetites, give them tantalising glimpses of new characters and locations, plus a few 'ooh, ah!' moments for established favourites, and Kevan Lannister hardly fits into those categories. Yes, he is Tywin Lannister's brother, but even if he's a member of the Council, in terms of the relative ranks and political importance of people at the PW, you wouldn't expect him to be sitting up there alongside Tywin, Mace, Oberyn, Cersei and co. and you certainly wouldn't expect the trailer to focus on him in any way.

Why do you say that? He's appeared briefly but where necessary in each of the last three seasons.

He wasn't in season 3. And, while not determinative, if he was in the season he would most likely be with the Lannister family at the wedding, but from the clip of the front rows he isn't.

1. in love with Daenerys

Thank you.

The TV show isn't going to have the intricacies of the books, it just can't. The TV show has already taken liberties with Dany's storyline, especially at the end of season 2 where Doreah, Xaro, and the dragons was completely different.

What Laguna posted is enough to set up Jorah being sent off. If the TV show wanted a quick and easy way to reveal his spying, all they have to do is have Missandei, Barristan, or Dany herself go through Jorah's things for some reason and then find the royal pardon from King Robert that Jorah got and presumably still has. The messenger kid very clearly said it was a pardon and from that point on I've wondered when and how that Chekov's gun would fire. The show doesn't need to have a kiss and its fallout to ramp up and complicate the drama further, the audience already knows Jorah is infatuated with her and she doesn't feel the same. That's enough.

They could find the letter, accuse Jorah, (they may or may not send him off through the sewers of Meereen, he comes back), he makes a botch of his apology/explanation, and off he goes. Done.

Thank you.

The TV show isn't going to have the intricacies of the books, it just can't. The TV show has already taken liberties with Dany's storyline, especially at the end of season 2 where Doreah, Xaro, and the dragons was completely different.

What Laguna posted is enough to set up Jorah being sent off. If the TV show wanted a quick and easy way to reveal his spying, all they have to do is have Missandei, Barristan, or Dany herself go through Jorah's things for some reason and then find the royal pardon from King Robert that Jorah got and presumably still has. The messenger kid very clearly said it was a pardon and from that point on I've wondered when and how that Chekov's gun would fire. The show doesn't need to have a kiss and its fallout to ramp up and complicate the drama further, the audience already knows Jorah is infatuated with her and she doesn't feel the same. That's enough.

They could find the letter, accuse Jorah, (they may or may not send him off through the sewers of Meereen, he comes back), he makes a botch of his apology/explanation, and off he goes. Done.

This isn't about a lack of intricacies. They cut all the interaction between Dany/Jorah and left things as they stood from the second series on. Thats cutting a big chunk of the story out. It is not a lack of intricacies. I swear to god. Read ASOS. I don't have the patience to write out all Jorah/Dany interactions and the number of times she thinks of him.

You are selling his exile short. Jon, Tyrion and Dany all lose somebody very close to them which has a lasting impact on them. All of their relationships and conflicts with those characters were built up over multiple books. Tyrion met Shae and Tywin at the beginning and then kills them at the end of his story. Towards the end of his story Jon kills the love of his life Ygritte. Then Dany exiles Jorah at the end of her story who is someone she thought of as a brother and has been around since the beginning. This is not a bit event that should be rushed so that they can cram more shit ADWD material into the series. Thematically GRRM made these three and most of the main cast suffer profound losses at the end of ASOS. Hence, focusing on Danys interactions with Jorah when he is about to be kicked out of her group for at least one season and might very well end up dead and never able to see Dany again is important. Hes not going to be around for much longer. I don't know why you actively want them to cut most of that material out and quickly deal with this as a side issue. Much less that you and others laud D&D for this.

Also, for the 10th time. Jorahs feelings in this are not important. I do not care for him monologing to the audience about how he feels. Whats important is how Daenerys interacts with Jorah, his jealousy, his interest in her and her anger at him because of this. The show cut this. Ergo there is no story and they have not set this up. GRRM spent a good chunk of ASOS building up Jorahs exile. The show cannot cut that material and expect to deliver the same impact of him being exiled as is in the books. Clearly, their priority with Danys story is to cover as much of ADWD as possible. Danys season 4 is going to be an absolute unstructured mess with them chucking ADWD and invented material into whats meant to be her ending and epilogue in ASOS.

Archived