Rebooted ASOIAF Elimination Game XVI: Best Portrayed Character Edition

Lord Lyman

But we're voting for best portrayed character, not best acted character. That means both writing and acting. Most people, especially Stannis fans, seem to agree that Stannis has been badly written on the show.

That is why I said

the worse scripts

but I had said

the best actor

I didn't said that what it was an overall great ensemble since the script was really bad, just that SDillane is easily the best actor who took a awful script and delivered it flawlessly.

Why Tywin is not the best portrayed character in the show:

Many of the show viewers seem to think that Tywin is some nice dude who just has bad children and grandchildren. And he was such a nice grandpa to Arya! I felt like this when I was listening to the GOO podcast and the two Unsullied guys were going on about Tywin, based on the first two seasons of the show, and saying that he is not a bad guy and is honorable (?) and was a good mentor to Arya. At least they will hopefully get a better grip on who he is when season 4 reminds the Unsullied of those babies he had murdered and the teenage wife of his son that he had gang raped, in addition to the RW and wiping out the Reynes and sending the Mountain to rape, pillage and murder across the Riverlands (which seems easily forgettable to many) etc. (I suppose ordering Tyrion to marry and rape Sansa in order to steal her family's lands does not count, since so many Unsullied seem to think that there is nothing wrong with that marriage and that it would not have been rape. Though I guess it seems to be the same with the Sullied...) :bang:

That is why I said

but I had said

I didn't said that what it was an overall great ensemble since the script was really bad, just that SDillane is easily the best actor who took a awful script and delivered it flawlessly.

But that is why Stannis went out early. Ditto Catelyn.

Why Tywin is not the best portrayed character in the show:

Many of the show viewers seem to think that Tywin is some nice dude who just has bad children and grandchildren. And he was such a nice grandpa to Arya! I felt like this when I was listening to the GOO podcast and the two Unsullied guys were going on about Tywin, based on the first two seasons of the show, and saying that he is not a bad guy and is honorable (?) and was a good mentor to Arya. At least they will hopefully get a better grip on who he is when season 4 reminds the Unsullied of those babies he had murdered and the teenage wife of his son that he had gang raped, in addition to the RW and wiping out the Reynes and sending the Mountain to rape, pillage and murder across the Riverlands (which seems easily forgettable to many) etc. (I suppose ordering Tyrion to marry and rape Sansa in order to steal her family's lands does not count, since so many Unsullied seem to think that there is nothing wrong with that marriage and that it would not have been rape. Though I guess it seems to be the same with the Sullied...) :bang:

I put most of it down to Charles Dance giving such a commanding and oddly charming performance. He just carries an air of confidence and control. He's one of the very few characters I'd say the show handled better than the books.

I put most of it down to Charles Dance giving such a commanding and oddly charming performance. He just carries an air of confidence and control. He's one of the very few characters I'd say the show handled better than the books.

So if they had cast a super-handsome actor as Joffrey and he gave an oddly charming performance, and the viewers starting saying that he is really nice and misunderstood, would you say that the show handled him better than the books?

I refuse to believe that the viewers can be that stupid and shallow to think that someone is not a bad guy and that he is kinda honorable while ordering murders of babies, gang rapes of teenage girls and murders of entire families, just because he is charming and has a commanding presence. Liking a character despite knowing he is a bad person is one thing, thinking that he is not a bad person is a whole different matter. It is more likely that the show failed to emphasize his crimes or glossed over them. Although that may have been more of a case in the first two seasons, maybe it will change or has changed to an extent.

So if they had cast a super-handsome actor as Joffrey and he gave an oddly charming performance, and the viewers starting saying that he is really nice and misunderstood, would you say that the show handled him better than the books?

I refuse to believe that the viewers can be that stupid and shallow to think that someone is not a bad guy and that he is kinda honorable while ordering murders of babies, gang rapes of teenage girls and murders of entire families, just because he is charming and has a commanding presence. Liking a character despite knowing he is a bad person is one thing, thinking that he is not a bad person is a whole different matter. It is more likely that the show failed to emphasize his crimes or glossed over them. Although that may have been more of a case in the first two seasons, maybe it will change or has changed to an extent.

I'm not saying it's my own opinion, but it's possible it's one of the reasons for some Unsullied. The same could be said for Ramsay. They got a fairly attractive actor that walks with swag and says some funny things, so a lot of the Unsullied seem to overlook what a vile monster he is. But I suppose the show hasn't really shown the depths of his evil yet. Hopefully this changes in season 4.

I believe that since the show has no internal PoV, it's more difficult to keep reminding everyone of how bad Tywin really is. The gang rape of Tysha has only been mentioned once, as has the massacre of entire families, and the pillaging of the riverlands hasn't been addressed since season 1. Recently, the only "bad" things he's done is "command" Tyrion to marry and have sex with Sansa, and orchestrate the Red Wedding. It's not as if he's strangling puppies or burning orphans every episode. I don't doubt that season 4 will bring up the rape and murder of Elia and the deaths of her children, though. It pretty much has to bring it up.

As a show viewer (before I read the books) I have to disagree with you here. It's obvious that Tywin is a bad guy that does bad things. That he's charismatic and commanding just makes him a more interesting character, that people want to see more of him doesn't mean that he's a good guy.

As for the video you saw with two unsullied that said he's a good guy with useless kids, I haven't seen it and can't comment on that but neither me nor any of my friends ever thought of Tywin as a good guy.

I believe that since the show has no internal PoV, it's more difficult to keep reminding everyone of how bad Tywin really is. The gang rape of Tysha has only been mentioned once, as has the massacre of entire families, and the pillaging of the riverlands hasn't been addressed since season 1. Recently, the only "bad" things he's done is "command" Tyrion to marry and have sex with Sansa, and orchestrate the Red Wedding. It's not as if he's strangling puppies or burning orphans every episode. I don't doubt that season 4 will bring up the rape and murder of Elia and the deaths of her children, though. It pretty much has to bring it up.

:agree: And the fact that Tyrion is more likeable on the show made most of us unsullied believe Sansa wasn't in such a bad spot as she actually was + nobody I know thought he would fuck her(Me included). I think show Tyrion got the seriousness out of that situation more than Tywin did.

Heal Eddard

Hurt Jaime

Heal Jaqen, hurt Tywin

1.Tywin Lannister 29-

5.Jaime Lannister 27-

6.Davos Seaworth 27

8.Eddard Stark 30+

13.Joffrey Baratheon 31

22. Jaqen H'ghar 6+

My thing is, all of these last few are exceptional, but I judge who's the best by who replaces the image in the my head that I have while reading the books (looks, personality, delivery). Not many do that, and ones like Tywin I think are amazing, but Charles Dance never enters into my head when I'm reading. I dunno, that's just my thing about Tywin.

Archived