Denial is a hell of a drug

It isn't just the mental part of it (and that is important, let me tell you, there is a huge difference between cutting the head of a chicken and slitting a man's throat. I've done the former many many times, yet I'm not quite sure I could do the latter unless it was in a "me or him" type of situation), it's the way she actually physically manages to pull it off.

Regardless to what people seem to think, knives aren't lightsabres and a man's neck and esophagus are tough to saw through.

but doesn't she just, sort of, um, jab 'em with the pointy end? i don't remember descriptions of slitting from ear to ear. am i wrong?

I am in denial about the fact that GRRM clearly has no idea how to finish the series, and the final two books will never come out.

Book Six is coming!!! Really!!!

Oh, well welcome to the club. Hey I wrote 250,000 words for the world book in like a year.

How is book 6 coming?

Martin: Book what? Oh, oh that book... oh great, super great writing super fast, be done anytime with my next Novella.

No Winds of winter.

Martin: Winds of who? Wildcards might get a movie, want to come to my own personal movie theater and watch a lost in space marathon? Danger, Danger, so classic, never fear, Martin is here.

And furthermore I'm convinced that there is, somehow, a way for humans to negotiate with them, if they can remember/rediscover it, because that's what The Last Hero did last time. He definitely didn't wipe them out and I don't think he routed them enough to force an unconditional surrender, either.

I like this! Who do you think is going to remember/rediscover how to reach out to them this time? Bran, with his new powers? I'm kind of rooting for Jon as the Night's King 2.0, myself.

If she'd just stabbed him a bit, he'd have cried out. In order for her to kill him as quickly and silently as she did, she'd have to cut through his esophagus, thus making him unable to cry out.

This is not possible to achieve by "jab em with the pointy end".

i was wrong about jabbing 'em.

i was wrong about puddles laughing.

clearly i was in denial about how much i needed this thread. thanks, apple martini!

Oh, well welcome to the club. Hey I wrote 250,000 words for the world book in like a year.

How is book 6 coming?

Martin: Book what? Oh, oh that book... oh great, super great writing super fast, be done anytime with my next Novella.

No Winds of winter.

Martin: Winds of who? Wildcards might get a movie, want to come to my own personal movie theater and watch a lost in space marathon? Danger, Danger, so classic, never fear, Martin is here.

The Winds of Winter: coming to a bookstore near you in 2030!

Sweet little Tommen and Myrcella aren't going to die just because of some dumb old prophecy!

No, Myrcella will either marry Trystane, or join the Septa, and Tommen will grow up on Tarth with Jaime and Brienne to become a knight-or maybe they'll all go off to Essos together, and live long, happy, lives.

Apparently I could be arsed. Here's a link to one such WWII manual demonstrating among other things, how to cut the neck arteries. Note how the person doing the stabbing is conveniently holding his hand over the victim's mouth, in order to stop him from crying out. There were techniques to avoid this by cutting the esophagus directly, but this particular one doesn't seem to have them.

http://www.stavacademy.co.uk/mimir/gettough10.htm

That Shireen will get anything other than a happy ending-she'll marry Rickon or maybe Edric, and grow up to be a Great Lady-possibly even Queen. Who knows?!? Maybe Mel or Bran will figure out a way to cure her greyscale as well.

La, La,La, what's that you say about dreams of dragons and Mel's meanness being foreshadowing...Dum Dee Doo...I can't hear you!

Apparently I could be arsed. Here's a link to one such WWII manual demonstrating among other things, how to cut the neck arteries. Note how the person doing the stabbing is conveniently holding his hand over the victim's mouth, in order to stop him from crying out. There were techniques to avoid this by cutting the esophagus directly, but this particular one doesn't seem to have them.

http://www.stavacademy.co.uk/mimir/gettough10.htm

I thought the esophagus was posterior to the larynx...

I refuse to believe Euron or anyone else had anything to do with murdering Balon Greyjoy. No Faceless Man, no other hired assassin, no BR in a raven or crow pecking at his head. Just Mel and her leach in the fire, then Balon fall down go boom.

I think he just slipped on a stray banana peel. :P :dunno:

Archived