Who should be on the cover?

Victarion Chainbreaker

With ASOIAF, you'd either need a significantly bigger picture or a microscope.

http://anima9.files.wordpress.com/2013/05/a_song_of_ice_and_lemoncakes_by_dragoninstall-d4dgqwz.png

Or you could only put a smaller part of a larger picture on each cover so when you merge the books you get the whole thing.

I agree with most on AGoT and ACoK, but after that...

AGoT: Eddard (well, duh)

ACoK: Tyrion (same)

ASoS: Sansa (somehow, I always think of ASoS as Sansa's book... she goes from telling the Tyrells about Joffrey up until "Only Cat" in that book alone, the most character and plot development of any character in a single book imo)

AFfC: Jaime. (It's actually a close race between Jaime, Cersei and Brienne for me, but Jaime interacts with both Brienne and Cersei far more than they interact with each other, so Jaime it is.)

ADwD: Daenerys. (The story heavily shifts to Essos in this book, with several PoV characters revolving around her (Tyrion, Quentyn, for some time JonCon, Barristan after she disappears))

AGOT: Ned obv reasons

ACOK : The Imp simply bcz he's swagging

ASOS : A laughing walder frey, or tywin

AFFC : Oberyn Martell, simply cuz he's awesome, 2 books with tyrion leads to confusion

ADWD : a blue and a white dragon facing off, symbolizing the 2 targ's hair. If not probably daenearys with a lurking hizadhr or sumtin

Ned graces the cover of my AGOT, but the rest of my books have only crowns, helms, etc. I was wondering which character should be on the covers of the books.

AGOT: The Ned.

Pretty self explanatory. It's the only book with a 'main character' and the only book in which Ned appears. Dany would be my second choice, her story reached its high point in AGOT, but she shouldn't get a cover until she reaches Westeros.

ACOK: Tyrion

This one's gotta be Tyrion. Being in charge as Hand is where he's best suited, and the book is all about building to the battle of the Blackwater. Arya would be my second, but her arc peaks over two books including...

ASOS: Arya

Arya's journey through the burning Riverlands is one of the most solid sections of the series. Here she finally breaks free from being a captive and takes control of her own destiny. Cat would also be a good choice, but she stops being in the book halfway through.

AFFC: Cercei

This one's a toss-up between Cercei or Jaime. I find Cercei more entertaining, and her actions have a greater impact on the story (so far.)

ADWD: Jon

3 characters get their chance to run things at this time, but Jon does a much better job than Dany or Cercei. Sure he gets stabbed, but he makes up for that with the "block" line. Theon's story peaks here too, but Reek isn't really cover material.

That

I would go with a scene important in the book (without spoiler obvious but to be fair, it's hard to see a spoiler on a cover when you haven't read it often, you have no dialogue, characters aren't necessarily represented like you thought them) more than just a character like that. We can also have several characters in one cover on it.

AGOT : One character would be Ned.

For the scene, the Cersei/Ned discussion in KL ("You win or You die") or the arrival of Robert in Winterfell (with an emphasis on Ned).

ACOK : Tyrion on the Iron Throne obviously. Or meeting with the pyromancer or on the walls of king's Landing for the battle

It's clearly the Tyrion book but it's sad for Stannis as it would be the book the more adapted to feature him on the cover

ASOS : Really difficult choice, a lot happens and a lot of characters shines or have big moments here.

We could have Tyrion for the trial but it would be a little spoilery and Tyrion is on ACOK already

We could have Dany for all the badass moments of Slaver's Bay

Arya would be good here if you put her on a book as she has really a big journey here but she doesn't have a big enough impact.

Same for Jaime/Brienne, their journey is important for both of them but not enough impactful. If you would put them, I would say when they fight with Vargo Hoat and his men (without show them even if it's not really a problem). No scene with one-handed Jaime obviously (the bathtub scene would be great but spoilery)

Joffrey's wedding could be featured (before the "problem", a scene in the Sept would be good), you can't feature Tyrion/Sansa wedding as it's spoilery even if it would be 2 POV characters represented.

Something with Jon could be cool too as its a amazing journey for him too in ASOS. Jon with the Wildlings walking or a meeting with Mance or the Cave (without showing precisely who is it) could be great. Also on the tower with his bow for the Battle of Castle Black or the election as LC.

The most evident would be the RW : last chance for Robb/Cat to appear. Just representing the wedding before it goes wrong obviously wouldn't be too spoilery I think (when you haven't read the books) and with keeping non-clear who's marrying and where it is but feature Cat and Robb prominently).

AFFC : Jaime, Brienne and Cersei are the main characters of the books

I could see Cersei in her chambers with Taena in the bed in the background representing all the plotting/internal thoughts of Cersei. You can also have Cersei with Qyburn (in the Throne Room ?), at the Small Council or discussing with the High Septon, just before she goes to prison. I prefer the first or last idea.

Jaime could have a scene discussing with the Blackfish at Riverrun or a scene of Jaime and Cersei next to the body of Tywin (hiding it for people haven't finish ASOS who could see the covers).

I would have loved to put the Oathkeeper giving scene for Jaime and Brienne but it's in ASOS.

For Brienne only, it would be her wandering in the Riverlands with Pod, Ser Hunt and Meribald I suppose.

ADWD : main character are Dany, Jon and Tyrion

Tyrion has already ACOK and I don't think his journey is a highlight for the series. It's important for him as a character but not really impactful on a whole. So would be my third choice. For the scene, him on the boat with Young Griff playing cyvasse would be good. Scenes on pig (during the fighting pit or even on the boat or on the tent as a slave) would be great but too spoilery.

Jon is the second choice according to me. No book for him yet but I suppose he'll have some of the last two. Scene is hard to see. Nothing can feature Stannis or Mel to avoid spoilers for people who haven't finished ASOS. Some discussions with Wildlings or NW members I suppose. Or receiving the Pink Letter at the end, I don't think you would guess something with that.

Dnay is the first choice, it's way time she had her cover and she's important in ADWD. Plus, it goes with the title and Meereen is really important for her : first time she rule and she learn numerous things on her here. On her Throne in the Great Pyramid seems obvious. Would be cool to have dragons but the Fighting Pit scene is too spoilery and I can't see any other big scene with dragons here. Maybe when she goes see them with Quentyn ?

The guessing (hard as we don't know the content yet) :

TWOW : Jon at the Wall would be evident (Winter !) but I don't know when he'll come back + it's a spoiler as it says he's not dead right on the cover. To go with Winter, we could have Bran in weirwood.net if he's important here. Or a non-spoilery scene of the battle of Winterfell that we know will occur (maybe only the departure of the Manderly/Frey armies from the ruined Winterfell even if it's more ADWD)

I really think winter stuff should be there but if not, the combat Gregor vs Faithchampion (without showing him) in KL (could have snow in KL this day for the winter). Aegon taking Storm's End. Some scene of the Battle of Meereen with Victarion, Barristan or Tyrion featured (Dany is just on the previous book + you need to keep her return at the right time secret)

ADOS : really hard to guess here. I suppose Dany will finally arrive in Westeros so could be here too. Aegon depending of the role he plays. We could see a Tyrion/Cersei or Jaime/Cersei confrontation/meeting. Jon on a final fight. A badass FM-Arya (she'll come back to Westeros too). A lot of things could be there.

Marc Simonetti has designed all the covers for the Brazilian editions of ASOIAF, I wouldn't change a thing tbh, they're amazing. We have:

AGOT: The Wall/Castle Black

ACOK: Tyrion in King's Landing

ASOS: Theon looking for Bran and Rickon in the woods

AFFC: Greyjoy's castle

ADWD: Dany and Drogon in Daznak's Pit

Yes we also have them in France for the integral books (books are divided in 2 or 3 volumes each for the first release here).

Some of the divided books has cool covers too.

I own the US editions and the cover are not enough worked I think, only the objects. It's not beautiful and don't give really envy I found. Obviously now with the ultra-popularity of the series and the new editions tie-in with the series posters (which are the only ones we can find easily now and I find them good for the most part, my favorite being the crown in flames of ACOK), they sell like they want but based only on the cover, a lot of books have better art works on it.

Also, they have released new US editions with photos of places on the covers

http://www.waterstones.com/blog/2014/02/winter-is-coming/

Archived