The Brightfyre theory

Veltigar

I've always thought that the potential historical parallels between Serra and the mother of Henry VII, Margaret Beaufort, are compelling

Of course the individuals are vastly different with Beaufort fanatically devout and Serra coming from a pillow house, which I could see Martin playing into that irony.

Both women descended from a bastard line, hide their true selves, (Serra as Septa Lemore and Beaufort a Yorkist convert), who feel it is their destiny to see their son on the throne.

I think this is a plausible explanation.

in game of thrones not the books its mentioned when walking in sept with margaery and joffrey rhaenyra is mentioned a dance with dragon, aerion brightflame is mention aegon there to and aegon and rhaenys them selves are mentioned. rhaenyra had a son called aegon becoming the king aerion might have a descandant named aegon, and had a brother named aegon,and rhaegars son named aegon.

who would likely become king i dont think that is some random sputing atleast not now when oberyn enters the picture :D just a food for thought

Oberyn was in Braavos 9-14 years ago. daenerys was still very young. So Sarella is to old. Also, the books state that her mother was a captain from the summer isles, not a Braavosi courtesan.

Yea the timeline's off, it would have been about thirteen years prior to the start of the books. and Sarella/Arellas is apparently around nineteen years old. Of course Oberyn could have made multiple trips to Braavos, and picked the child up during his last trip where he arranges the wedding contract. I guess the appendix kind of blows it out the water as well.

I'm assuming everone read the new twow sample chapter on GRRM's site? I think there are two important things to take away from this chapter.

2) Tywin went to Lys. This is the second important member of Aerys II government (after his nephew Steffon Baratheon) that went there. They most likely went there to look for a bride with Targ blood for Rhaegar (Tywin probably didn't put his heart in it though).

Tywin may not have put his heart into it, but I'd bet that he put another part of his body into the bed slaves of Lys.

I've always thought that the potential historical parallels between Serra and the mother of Henry VII, Margaret Beaufort, are compelling

Of course the individuals are vastly different with Beaufort fanatically devout and Serra coming from a pillow house, which I could see Martin playing into that irony.

Both women descended from a bastard line, hide their true selves, (Serra as Septa Lemore and Beaufort a Yorkist convert), who feel it is their destiny to see their son on the throne.

If you're looking at Aegon as a Henry VII parallel, then his nuncle Varys actually seems to be the Margaret Beaufort, working from the inside of the ruling court. And JonCon is his Jasper Tudor. As for Septa Lemore, :dunno: but I am someone who just doesn't think she is really important.

But neither of the Henry VII really work more for the Brightfyre theory than the Blackfyre one, at least I don't see how.

Tywin may not have put his heart into it, but I'd bet that he put another part of his body into the bed slaves of Lys.

If you're looking at Aegon as a Henry VII parallel, then his nuncle Varys actually seems to be the Margaret Beaufort, working from the inside of the ruling court. And JonCon is his Jasper Tudor. As for Septa Lemore, :dunno: but I am someone who just doesn't think she is really important.

But neither of the Henry VII really work more for the Brightfyre theory than the Blackfyre one, at least I don't see how.

There are certainly variations on the parallels and not exact.

Both Henry VII and Perkin Warbeck are parallels to Aegon. A contender descended from a bastard line of the royal family who is also a pretender in that he is likely not Rhaegars son.

I really like this theory. When reading the OP I felt some many aspects click into place just like when I first read a full explanation of R+L=J.

This is now my belief as to who Aegon (I don't use fAegon as I believe his name is actually Aegon) is.

I really like this theory. When reading the OP I felt some many aspects click into place just like when I first read a full explanation of R+L=J.

This is now my belief as to who Aegon (I don't use fAegon as I believe his name is actually Aegon) is.

Thanks man, that's a huge compliment :D nice to have convinced someone.

By the way, we to believe the character's name is in fact 'Aegon', the use of 'Faegon' is just a forumtradition to signal that you believe that Aegon is a fake ;)

i quote this theory in other forums, because im a fan of the three heads being a uniting of targaryen, blackfyre and brightflame. love it.

I personally don't subscribe to that theory, but whatever brings people on board the Brightfyre ship is fine by me :D

Veltigar love the theory, i can really see george doing a twist like that, now i wonder what the warrior branch and and the cruel branch of house targaryen will be like :D

We'll see soon enough hopefully ;)

I personally don't subscribe to that theory, but whatever brings people on board the Brightfyre ship is fine by me :D

We'll see soon enough hopefully ;)

i buy into varys and serra brightflame, illyrio blackfyre, whose child is brightfyre. that being said aegon may not make it, but the other two factions might. that's 2 out of three right off the bat, aegon personifies an ending to the "family struggle." if aegon were theoretically to marry daenerys, all 3 factions would be united as one (three heads, one dragon sort of idea).

if your theory proves correct, and IF daenerys and aegon make it, theoretically their child would "have three heads," as it were, and unite the 3 houses, supposedly insinuating an alliance and end to the family turmoil and past.

that being said, in a perfect world that might happen, and that may have been the idea and the very plan of varys/illyrio. i dont see if playing out that way, i see daenerys actually, ruining the original plan witht he way she's "grown," mentally/emotionally.

Hm. If this is true, then who is "Elizabeth of York?" Either Dany, who doesn't seem to want to be relegated to the Queen Consort role, or Sansa, who does seem to be positioned to make an excellent Queen Consort, and who has the bloodline of the Kings of Winter.

Henry VII married Elizabeth of York for her claim - which many thought to be stronger than his. If Aegon (whoever he really is) takes and holds the throne because of might making right, it will be interesting to see who his "Elizabeth" will be.

Or, perhaps, it will be a rehash of the original Aegon and his sisters, with Dany in the Visenya role and Sansa as Rhaenys.

Hm. If this is true, then who is "Elizabeth of York?" Either Dany, who doesn't seem to want to be relegated to the Queen Consort role, or Sansa, who does seem to be positioned to make an excellent Queen Consort, and who has the bloodline of the Kings of Winter.

Henry VII married Elizabeth of York for her claim - which many thought to be stronger than his. If Aegon (whoever he really is) takes and holds the throne because of might making right, it will be interesting to see who his "Elizabeth" will be.

Or, perhaps, it will be a rehash of the original Aegon and his sisters, with Dany in the Visenya role and Sansa as Rhaenys.

when the iron throne is destroyed in the oncoming war, and the seven kingdoms become just that, seven independent kingdoms, harold hardying marries sansa and together they rule winterfell as king and queen in the north (put into motion and set up by baelish)

:agree:

Either womans claim would enhance Aegons, because like Henry, I'm sure there will still be those who question who/what he is. I suspect Arianne will try to marry him first even though he shouldn't need to marry her. As his family, they should naturally come out behind him without marriage, or else I don't know who else they would support.

when the iron throne is destroyed in the oncoming war, and the seven kingdoms become just that, seven independent kingdoms, harold hardying marries sansa and together they rule winterfell as king and queen in the north (put into motion and set up by baelish)

In that case, then Sansa and Harold might feel disposed to offer Arya up to Aegon once Arya comes back to Westeros, via LF teachings as she would be a Princess in her own right.

:agree:

Either womans claim would enhance Aegons, because like Henry, I'm sure there will still be those who question who/what he is. I suspect Arianne will try to marry him first even though he shouldn't need to marry her. As his family, they should naturally come out behind him without marriage, or else I don't know who else they would support.

Yes, the Martells are Aegon's kin, or they think they are, so they would support him without needing to offer Arianne in marriage. Doran wanted (still wants?) to see Arianne as Queen, but even so, he'd support his nephew for the throne.

To further the Dany/Sansa as Visenya/Rhaenys parallel, the historical Visenya sounds very like Dany (a warrior and conqueror) and the historical Rhaenys like Sansa (artistic and very feminine). And Sansa is the Stark child who is being trained in the ways of Southern courts and who knows all the history and heraldry. She is excellently fitted for the position of a gracious Queen Consort and "power behind the throne" type.

Archived