Another Poster Unleashed

Westeros

I think this poster is better than the season 2 one (and of course the season 3 one, which looked really bad; at first glance, I couldn't even spot the dragon shadow). As someone said on Winteriscoming.net, the crown looked a bit like a tambourine :lol: This one looks dark and foreboding, in addition to the rich symbolism, though they could have done the background better.

The season 1 was the best and most eye-catching... but it had the advantage of having Sean Bean...

Not quite so universal if you are a woman. All men must die - either they forgot us women again, or all the women in the story get to live. That means Dany and Sansa get to live, maybe that's a message to the haters.

Uh, not really. Valar morghulis is obviously meant to be universal, it's the same old-fashioned use of "man" to mean "human" as in "All men are created equal..." etc. and similar universal statements that use "man" or "men" to denote the human race. There's no reason to think that they are using the phrase in anything but its actual meaning - all humans are mortal. Everyone must die eventually. But they're also using it this season because a lot of people die this season. Some are men and some are women. Dany and Sansa aren't the only women in the series, female characters have already died in the series and more of them will die - at least three prominent women will die this season, and two of them are in the main cast. And I'm also pretty sure that not every male character will be dead by the end of the series.

Uh, that was a joke... I don't think that was saying Dany and Sansa get to live. We're all aware that some female characters die and some male characters live.

But no, the "universal" thing isn't so popular anymore. Even the show acknowledged that with the line last season.

I thought part of the TPtwP prophecy was that Valyrian doesn't make the distinction between male and female, and therefore valar can mean both 'men' and 'women'? Or was it only prince/princess that Aemon said Valyrian doesn't differentiate?

I don't think it's intended to be gender-specific, but the show guys were being progressive with Dany challenging this.

That was one of my favorite scenes. I loved the smile at the end... Now this is the way to write a girl power scene. More of these, please.

"Yes. All men must die. But we are not men."

It's the same as Syrio, "And what do we say to the god of death? Not today." Only there's the added twist of, they didn't include women in the saying, so she's flipping the saying the bird. That's why Missandei smiles. Dany is being irreverent. I like it!

Here's the original quote:

“Valar morghulis,” said Missandei, in High Valyrian.

“All men must die,” Dany agreed, “but not for a long while, we may pray.”

I would like to join in on this and add that it is a logical fallacy to say that if "All men must die," then that means that women get to live.

"All men must die" only guarantees that if you are a man, you will die. It makes no claims about women. It is possible that all women die, only a few die, or none die, but we don't know that from the original statement.

There is another statement we can conclude from the first, and that is "If you do not die, then you cannot be a man." (Contrapositive)

Inverse: "If you are not a man, then you do not die" is not logically equivalent.

Converse: "If you die, then you are a man" is also not logically equivalent.

I'm teaching logic this semester, just thought I'd throw that in there. :)

Yes, indeed, I was joking, just as the show was joking. I thought it was a good exchange between Dany and Missandei. I liked it very much.

I thought it was a very stupid exchange and one of the worst lines in the show. It made no sense at all. "All men must die, but we are not men". What, she found the secret of immortality? Women are immortal? Wow, great news, why hasn't anyone told me? :rolleyes:

If they wanted to make a pun on "Valar...", they should have used Valar dohaeris. "All men must serve... but we are not men".

I don't think it's intended to be gender-specific, but the show guys were being progressive with Dany challenging this.

That was one of my favorite scenes. I loved the smile at the end... Now this is the way to write a girl power scene. More of these, please.

Now this is a way how not to write a girl power scene. No more of these, please.

I thought it was a very stupid exchange and one of the worst lines in the show. It made no sense at all. "All men must die, but we are not men". What, she found the secret of immortality? Women are immortal? Wow, great news, why hasn't anyone told me? :rolleyes:

I like that line. It was Dany being a bit cheeky, that's all.

If they wanted to make a pun on "Valar...", they should have used Valar dohaeris. "All men must serve... but we are not men".

Now this is a way how not to write a girl power scene. No more of these, please.

I agree. Hated that line.

Archived