King Robert Baratheon, an underrated king?

Little of column A, little of column B. That little "Lyanna" he uttered to Cersei may well have ruined the possibility of a genuine Baratheon-Lannister alliance.

The fact that Cersei f**ked Jaime the morning of her wedding show to me that Cersei was never willing to try.

I don't think Cersei was especially open to this possibility, considering she'd fucked Jaime a few hours before the wedding.

Really though? You think just because Cersei is fucking around, she couldn't be won over by Robert's abundant charm if he had tried? Cersei doesn't seem like that much of the sentimental type to me. We can see she clearly didn't hold Jaime up the way he did to her, so that's not an issue. Cersei had been won over by Rhaegar, she could be won over by Robert.

Really though? You think just because Cersei is fucking around, she couldn't be won over by Robert's abundant charm if he had tried? Cersei doesn't seem like that much of the sentimental type to me. We can see she clearly didn't hold Jaime up the way he did to her, so that's not an issue. Cersei had been won over by Rhaegar, she could be won over by Robert.

He tried.

And Cersei wasn't "fucking around". She fucked her brother in the same morning of her wedding.

He tried.

And Cersei wasn't "fucking around". She fucked her brother in the same morning of her wedding.

He tried?? Calling a girl by another name when you're inside her is pretty much #1 on the list of things not to do.

We're stuck on semantics here: the question isn't whether Cersei had her heart in it, the question is whether Robert could have won her over. If he would have tried harder, he could have. The Rhaegar precedent proves it's possible and as Eddard knows all too well, Robert has many charms of his own.

Robert may have been an incompetent ruler, but he was the best king of incompetent ruler; the kind that realized they were incompetent, which in itself deserves some credit.

Robert realized 'I have no business trying to run a kingdom, JON AND NED YOU RUN IT FOR ME KAYZ', unlike other rulers. For example, Aerys and Cersei. They were also both incredibly incompetent, but Aerys was super prideful and tried to run things himself and lost a kindgom, and Cersei is super incompetent but doesn't realize it and is about to lose her son's kindgom.

At least Robert was competent enough to pick competent people to run his kindgom.

He tried?? Calling a girl by another name when you're inside her is pretty much #1 on the list of things not to do.

We're stuck on semantics here: the question isn't whether Cersei had her heart in it, the question is whether Robert could have won her over. If he would have tried harder, he could have. The Rhaegar precedent proves it's possible and as Eddard knows all too well, Robert has many charms of his own.

He was drunk and he had lost a girl he really fall in love with, in his own twisted way. I don't usually defend Robert Baratheon, but this I can let him pass. After that, there are few hints that he tried, but Cersei simply decided never forget. Didn't she know about Lyanna? Couldn't she have been the understanding here? something like "poor man, I'll heal his heart and help him forget being a good loving wife?". No. It was "fucking idiot, now I won't love you again for something you did while drunk. Bastard".

And Cersei was in love of Rhaegar the Prince Charming not Rhaegar the man. She didn't know him.

Fair enough, I guess we have to agree to disagree on this one. As much as I despise Cersei, I at least respect her for not calmly submitting to a marriage she wanted no part of. Consoling a man over the girl he actually wanted to be with isn't something I think any wife should have to do. And I don't think being drunk is ever a valid excuse.

But I suppose the root of the problem either way is it was a poor choice for a marriage alliance and much too soon. Other men and women in Westeros are given leave to grieve forever (e.g. Tywin) but King Robert was pushed into a marriage immediately. True, it was an important alliance, but lot of good it did them in the end.

Robert was a bad king and made a fool by his wife. He wasn't a good father to his children either.he surrounded his self with enemies lannisters varys purcelle littlefinger .By naming Ned his hand he brought on the fall of the Starks.if he hadn't been such a drunk he might of got to taste the boat who killed him.It was his bad decisions that caused the financial crisis even though I suspect littlefinger may have cooked the books an has a good supply of gold stashed for his personal vendetta..I could go on an on but my last statement is lucky the baratheons have Stannis he may be able to save his house from extinction..

Robert was a bad king and made a fool by his wife. He wasn't a good father to his children either.he surrounded his self with enemies lannisters varys purcelle littlefinger .By naming Ned his hand he brought on the fall of the Starks.if he hadn't been such a drunk he might of got to taste the boat who killed him.It was his bad decisions that caused the financial crisis even though I suspect littlefinger may have cooked the books an has a good supply of gold stashed for his personal vendetta..I could go on an on but my last statement is lucky the baratheons have Stannis he may be able to save his house from extinction..

Lucky? Stannis killed the only other trueborn male Baratheon after Robert died. They are lucky Robert has so many bastards so that when Stannis dies one of them can take the family name.

Robert was king an could have made his bastards legit an gave his kids the baratheon name but he didn't cause he was a bad king and worse father..Stannis with acknowledge Roberts bastards before series is over I believe but if you are a Renly fan that ship has sailed.

Robert was king an could have made his bastards legit an gave his kids the baratheon name but he didn't cause he was a bad king and worse father..Stannis with acknowledge Roberts bastards before series is over I believe but if you are a Renly fan that ship has sailed.

If there's one thing the Blackfyre conflict has shown us, it's that a king should almost never legitimize his bastards. Robert can't be called a bad king for not legitimizing his bastards. There's no arguing that he wasn't a terrible father though.

I though Robert calling out Lyanna's name on their wedding night was strictly in the show.

:O If that's true then I've been caught in quite the pickle. And not the good kind of pickle that comes with a grilled cheese at a sandwich stand on the beach.

Robert should have legitimized his bastards to spite the lannisters.Gendry and Edric would have been better sons to Robert an just might have given Robert incentive to put his cups in the cupboard.When he told Ned to kill Lady the Starks should have returned to winterfell an left Robert .....

Archived