Football LXIX - I'm running out of title ideas

baxus

Whatever the opposing teams do, the SAS(AS) will need to be on better form than they were against West Ham. Sturridge, in particular, was woeful, especially his finishing, but neither Suarez or Sterling had the level of impact on the game we've become accustomed to seeing this season. It's a good sign when hitting the bar twice, getting a penalty (and having an argument for one or two more) is almost a season low, though. If SASAS are firing on all cylinders against City and Chelsea, I think the odds are in our favour. But the other games are potential pitfalls, too. I'm not particularly comfortable with the prospect of playing Norwich and Crystal Palace sides desperately fighting for survival.

I was watching the game and just thought how Tottenham must be the biggest disappointment of the season (along with Man Utd, of course).

They did just score against Sunderland and might win the game, but it won't matter.

Spending 100+ million pounds on signing new players and ending without European competitions for next season.

I'm jumping to conclusions here, but to get a Europa league spot they'd have to make up for 7 points gap between them and Arsenal AND a 6 point gap on Everton (gaps are calculated based on the current result in their game against Sunderland - a draw).

But if Arsenal win the FA cup, won't that open a second Europa League spot for 6th place finisher, as City and Arsenal will (presumably) both finish fifth or higher?

But if Arsenal win the FA cup, won't that open a second Europa League spot for 6th place finisher, as City and Arsenal will (presumably) both finish fifth or higher?

No - in the FA cup, if the winner is already in Europe the Europa League spot goes to the other finalist. Only if both are in does it go to the league.

But anyway, while Spurs have obviously been massively disappointing, we've been moreso.

No - in the FA cup, if the winner is already in Europe the Europa League spot goes to the other finalist. Only if both are in does it go to the league.

Huh. I see. But not the League Cup loser, I guess? No European football for Sunderland next year?

But anyway, while Spurs have obviously been massively disappointing, we've been moreso.

And with other three semifinalists being from lower leagues, I guess it's safe to say that one of them will go to the Europa league ;)

It was to be expected that Man Utd and Tottenham will have worse seasons now with losing their most influencial members in the offseason.

Still, they managed to exceed expectations ;)

The Ji thing?

But as for Spurs and United: United can take it. This was supposed to be Spurs big push to glory

They forgot to get all the proper permissions to play him when he returned from loan at the start of the season, and as a result every game he played in (four in the league, one in the league cup) he was technically ineligible for. It's just been in the news, coz they were only fined for it - I think it would have been churlish to dock points for what was clearly a genuine mistake but they could have been.

They forgot to get all the proper permissions to play him when he returned from loan at the start of the season, and as a result every game he played in (four in the league, one in the league cup) he was technically ineligible for. It's just been in the news, coz they were only fined for it - I think it would have been churlish to dock points for what was clearly a genuine mistake but they could have been.

Oh. Thanks for explaining.

Archived