Things the Viewing Unsullied are missing (BOOK SPOILERS)

JonCon's Red Beard

Hi, this is not to discuss the changes and differences.

I always tease my Unsullied friends with some info about the books and ASOIAF lore without spoiling them, and as I have chance to write something bigger, I would like to read some suggestions.

What kind of stuff that the show isn't even bothering to portray you think they should know? Simple trivia stuff -up until Season 3, obviously.

For example, some of the geography: "besides Essos and Westeros, there are two more continents named...." or "Hodor actually has a name, it's Walder", etc. (yep, including D&E)

Thanks.

Main thing that comes to mind is Tywin's grayness regarding why he told the Mountain to practise his rockclimbing and murder Elia. He wanted Cersei to marry Rhaegar, Aerys rejected it very disrespectfully, and instead Rhaegar married Elia. I honestly don't think this was his main motivation...sure he can be spiteful but his pragmatism seems to win out...but it's an interesting facet of the situation.

And, this is me being a petty bookreader, but a lot of Unsullied (namely my dad) have a very fond opinion of Robert as a person (not just the acting). It hasn't been revealed yet that Robert called the butchered corpses "dragonspawn" and his discomfort was limited to not looking at them, and nothing ever happened to the Mountain. I don't know if it will be revealed in the show, as Robert's pretty long dead.

Too many Unsullied are under the impression that Dany will avenge the Starks. :rolleyes:

Nope...."Usurpers dog...traitors death...blah blah blah" They really need to have Dany say that but they probably don't want to damage her popularity (the lovable Ned Stark rivals her Unsullied popularity so her opinion of him wouldn't go down well).

I think the character histories are most neglected - namely the state of things prior to, during, and immediately following Robert's rebellion. Here's the stuff I tried to share with my brother/dad once they got hooked on the show:

-Tywin was King Aerys' hand, he became upset when his proposed marriage of Cersei to Rhaegor was denied.

-Rhaegor married a Martell but appeared to favor Lyanna Stark, naming her Queen of Beauty (or whatever) after some tourney. Lyanna was betrothed to Robert, and Cat Tully to Brandon (she didn't really know who Ned was).

-When Rhaegor "kidnapped" Lyanna, Ned's brother and father went to King Aerys and were murdered.

-Aerys sent his other son (Varys) and pregnant wife into hiding, she died giving birth to Dany, Varys began to resent her as they were forced to sell off their mother's possessions in order to survive (more relevant back in S1).

-Stannis held down Storm's Landing at Robert's request, almost starved but for the heroism of the Onion Knight, he was blamed by Robert for letting the Targaryen children escape.

-Rather than lose the city, King Aerys planned to burn Kings Landing to the ground once its walls had been breached.

-After Robert killed Prince Rhaegor and the Lannisters sacked Kings Landing on his behalf, Rhaegor's wife and children were brutally murdered and presented to the new king.

-Robert's grandmother(?) was a Targaryen, giving him a loose claim to the throne (once all other Targaryen's were dead or banished).

I think the character histories are most neglected - namely the state of things prior to, during, and immediately following Robert's rebellion. Here's the stuff I tried to share with my brother/dad once they got hooked on the show:

Eh, I wouldn't say neglected. More like lore tends to come up as it's needed. For people relying only on the show, no wiki articles, you can't cram in a cornucopia of lore without throwing off pacing/creating more confusion. It's great bonus material though.

Did Dany call Drogon by name in last night's episode? I don't think she did, but I'm not 100% sure.

If not, then that's one detail I wish they would *finally* put in - Drogon, Viserion and Rhaegal.

I think they handle the histories well enough. As PhoenixFlame said, it's all about balancing the exposition and not becoming too convoluted. They bring up what's necessary, just like how this season we'll learn more about the Sack of King's Landing, and Rhaegar. Natural progression of the show.

If you want to clear up why stannis is using Mel and r'hlorr tell them the story of proudwing and about how he watched his parents ship sink and that's why he stopped believing in the gods. I feel I need to explain this a lot because in the show he blindly follows Mel but in the books he uses her as a means to an end.

I think if you're just watching the show you're bound to be confused by Shireen's condition and not understand what the greyscale is-some people think she's part dragon. Which technically, Shireen is being part Targaryen, but again show only people wouldn't know the Baratheons were part Targ.

I also wonder if show only people can understand how badly the North and Riverlands got hurt by the RW-literally every good family from those regions lost somebody, and how violating Guest Right grievously wounded the very foundation of diplomacy in Westeros. It was a VERY destabilizing event.

I also wonder if show only people can understand how badly the North and Riverlands got hurt by the RW-literally every good family from those regions lost somebody, and how violating Guest Right grievously wounded the very foundation of diplomacy in Westeros. It was a VERY destabilizing event.

:agree:

I agree, I had to explain the importance of Guest Right to my unsullied friends. Even Bran's Rat cook story didn't portray Guest Right as being a sacred law upheld in Westeros, merely a ghost story made lore.

With the lack of Small Jon, Daisy Mormont and other lords being introduced and killed at the Twins I also had to explain why the North will not just want vengeance but need it- powerful Northern families were wounded but also those from 'poor' families who made up Robb's army. Their defeat at the Twins didn't put them off war, it merely enraged them and gave them a real reason to fight. Things are beyond personal now.

I don't know if you've ever seen the histories that the Youtuber Comicbookgirl___ (I can't remember her whole name) has done. If her language isn't offensive to your unsullied, then that's a good place to start. I got my dad to watch them and he loved them and it really got him into the depth of the story. He hasn't read the books, but he has spent a lot of time reading on this site and is fully into all of the history and characters, etc.

Another thing is really making the connections between characters - like Jorah to the Old Bear and how that relates to Jon's sword. I had to go into detail about the significance of the opening scene with my hubby and the importance of Valyrian steal and why what Tywin was doing was so awful. That scene was so compelling, but only if you really got the story behind it.

I don't know if you've ever seen the histories that the Youtuber Comicbookgirl___ (I can't remember her whole name) has done. If her language isn't offensive to your unsullied, then that's a good place to start. I got my dad to watch them and he loved them and it really got him into the depth of the story. He hasn't read the books, but he has spent a lot of time reading on this site and is fully into all of the history and characters, etc.

Another thing is really making the connections between characters - like Jorah to the Old Bear and how that relates to Jon's sword. I had to go into detail about the significance of the opening scene with my hubby and the importance of Valyrian steal and why what Tywin was doing was so awful. That scene was so compelling, but only if you really got the story behind it.

comicbookgirl19 I believe?

One of the Blu-ray sets (I think Season 3) has a bonus feature with a bunch of family histories being read by the characters in the shows as well.

I also just realized that in my above post I mistook Viserys for Varys, but I'm going to leave it because it kind of makes me laugh (and no one's really going to read all that anyway).

I agree. I don't think the show has ever given the dragons names. I would think that it would be important at some point. It seems very strange since the show has mentioned the names of several of the old dragons. At this stage in the show, I can't help but think it will come off as very awkward when they finally do reveal the names.

Maybe I'm alone in this since everyone and their moms are loving Arya and Sandor's dynamic in the show (don't get me wrong, I think it's great), but I think their relationship in the books is just explosive. Like, how they hate each other's guts and they're both so violent and hateful and it makes more sense when Arya leaves him to die. I don't know I just love how they never quite reach a state of grudging respect or true concern for each other (unlike Jaime and Brienne), but how they're just two enemies that have to work together.

And also, this is kind of obvious, but how come the unsullied haven't heard of Azor Ahai, Nissa Nissa and (I think) Lighbringer, not to mention the Prince that was Promised or the Song of Ice and Fire?

The show as pretty systematically stripped out prophesy, small scale magic and foreshadowing unless absolutely necessary to the plot. I think this stems a lot from the show being in a bit of a defensive crouch about being fantasy in the first season (if you remember the old promo stuff from Season 1 soooooo much of it was "it's not REALLY fantasy, it's all about human relationships, no elves here, PLEASE PLEASE don't judge us for being fantasy, look boobies!"). The show's a bit beyond that now and is more confident but it's still going with how it started as a big change would seem a bit weird now so they're only very gradually letting the magic in. The same as how the show Westeros seems smaller, more cramped and much much browner without a lot of the color and grandeur of the book Westeros out of fear of coming across as campy (plus budget) and they're only gradually letting the grandeur in with the PW seeming to be sufficiently big and snazzy next week.

And also, this is kind of obvious, but how come the unsullied haven't heard of Azor Ahai, Nissa Nissa and (I think) Lighbringer, not to mention the Prince that was Promised or the Song of Ice and Fire?

I am very curious why they are doing it. Perhaps Ahri Adaran has a point...

I hope Aemon will have his little speech at the ship. It get´s even more interesting when you look at the last episode.

The scene where Dany gets three flowers. I don´t think the rose is coinsidentally blue. And this orange-red flower which is poisonous strikes me as Lannister-coloured.

When Daario gave her the blue rose I actually rose from my seat, but none of my unsullied friends drew a connection... (Well I am a bit of a fidgeter...)

And what about the reforging of ice. I was very surprised by their decisision to start the new season with it. But the others weren´t exactly interested in the whole thing. But this isn´t surprising at all. I am not sure if there was any mentioning of a three times forged sword in the show...

-Tywin was King Aerys' hand, he became upset when his proposed marriage of Cersei to Rhaegor was denied.

-Rhaegor married a Martell but appeared to favor Lyanna Stark, naming her Queen of Beauty (or whatever) after some tourney. Lyanna was betrothed to Robert, and Cat Tully to Brandon (she didn't really know who Ned was).

-When Rhaegor "kidnapped" Lyanna, Ned's brother and father went to King Aerys and were murdered.

-Aerys sent his other son (Varys) and pregnant wife into hiding, she died giving birth to Dany, Varys began to resent her as they were forced to sell off their mother's possessions in order to survive (more relevant back in S1).

-Stannis held down Storm's Landing at Robert's request, almost starved but for the heroism of the Onion Knight, he was blamed by Robert for letting the Targaryen children escape.

-Rather than lose the city, King Aerys planned to burn Kings Landing to the ground once its walls had been breached.

-After Robert killed Prince Rhaegor and the Lannisters sacked Kings Landing on his behalf, Rhaegor's wife and children were brutally murdered and presented to the new king.

-Robert's grandmother(?) was a Targaryen, giving him a loose claim to the throne (once all other Targaryen's were dead or banished).

Pretty sure all of this is mentioned in the show! Just takes careful watching to pick all of the points up :)

I think they do just fine with the history that pertains directly to the show's immediate story. They put in what's necessary, so as not to bog down everything in exposition. If you're a curious Unsullied, there's nothing to stop you from reading into those enriching backstories - from the GoT wiki, to the H&L provided on the Blu Rays.

Archived