Creature Size

From Wikipedia:

The dire wolf averaged about 1.5 m (4.9 ft) in length and weighed between 50 kg (110 lb) and 79 kg (174 lb)

Martin has said his are a little bigger than real world direwolves.

Ghost

Greywind

Summer

Shaggydog

Nymeria

Lady

That is the order of size. Take out the dead ones and you will have the current order of size.

This is it.

From Wikipedia:

Martin has said his are a little bigger than real world direwolves.

The size described in your quote is basically the size of large male wolves today, so I think it's safe to say that the direwolves of Martins world indeed are a bit larger. If they weren't, they wouldn't have the impact they do on people close to them. Even when young they terrify people in a way that a regular wolf wouldn't.

The size described in your quote is basically the size of large male wolves today, so I think it's safe to say that the direwolves of Martins world indeed are a bit larger. If they weren't, they wouldn't have the impact they do on people close to them. Even when young they terrify people in a way that a regular wolf wouldn't.

I didn't realize, don't see many wolves around here. I wonder what made them so dire then.

Actual dire wolves were about the size of mastiffs. More than size, the difference was much larger and stronger jaws allowing them to hunt larger prey. They weren't the ridiculous giants like described in the books or the CGI monsters from the show. Ghost was already as tall as Gilly in the first episode of season two. He looked like a good 300 lbs. I can't remember any exact description of their size from the books, but I do remember Ghost is the largest.

Actual dire wolves were about the size of mastiffs. More than size, the difference was much larger and stronger jaws allowing them to hunt larger prey. They weren't the ridiculous giants like described in the books or the CGI monsters from the show. Ghost was already as tall as Gilly in the first episode of season two. He looked like a good 300 lbs. I can't remember any exact description of their size from the books, but I do remember Ghost is the largest.

There is the odd description of some direwolf looking a grown man straight into the eyes, or Jon wrapping his arm around Ghost's shoulders while standing.

Rickon could totally ride Shaggydog into battle one day.

My total over the top fantasy - Rickon riding into battle on Shaggydog dual wielding Ice n/k/a Widow's Wail and Oathkeeper, leading a whole bunch of cannibals on unicorns to take back WF. Yeah, I know. Cheesy and never going to happen. But I'd still total fist pump/snoopy dance.

According to Bran the Direwolf mother was bigger than his pony - so about the size of a horse. But that is a female and in the dog family males tend to be bigger and heavier than females. So the male direwolves - Ghost, Shaggy and Summer are probably as big as your average warhorse while Nymeria is slightly smaller.

Bran also said the mother direwolf was twice the size of the largest hound in his father's kennel - considering this is the warden of the north he probably has a well supplied kennel. So the biggest hound he has would probably be the size of an Irish Wolfhound ~33 inches(could be bigger) that puts the direwolf mother at 66 inches(6 and a half feet) - and thats a female so a fully grown male direwolf could be as big as 7 feet.

According to Bran the Direwolf mother was bigger than his pony - so about the size of a horse. But that is a female and in the dog family males tend to be bigger and heavier than females. So the male direwolves - Ghost, Shaggy and Summer are probably as big as your average warhorse while Nymeria is slightly smaller.

Bran also said the mother direwolf was twice the size of the largest hound in his father's kennel - considering this is the warden of the north he probably has a well supplied kennel. So the biggest hound he has would probably be the size of an Irish Wolfhound ~33 inches(could be bigger) that puts the direwolf mother at 66 inches(6 and a half feet) - and thats a female so a fully grown male direwolf could be as big as 7 feet.

I like the way you think.

Archived