Football LXXI - My Little Chelsea

Zoë Sumra

Its like they know that Sakho is terrible with the ball at his feet but they still insist on playing ping pong back there <_< I hope this doesn't happen against Chelsea.

He actually seems pretty calm on the ball to me and rarely makes a bad pass

I say that as he loses the ball and gives Norwich a chance :D

This sounds strange to say about an England player, but I'm not sure we're actually exited enough about Sterling.

He's coming into form at just the right time that he'll be known at the world cup, but not known enough that other teams will properly prepare for him. Between him and the others we might play some football which is actually interesting to watch. We still won't beat any good teams, obviously, but it might be a laugh

ETA: oh, and there's a good chapter on him in Michael Calvin's book about football scouts, 'The Nowhere Men' if anyone's interested

I honestly don't know why the press and general public aren't losing their minds over Sterling right now. Far lesser players have got more attention in the past. Hell, even now Ross Barkley is probably getting more talked about despite not being nearly as productive. Perhaps it's because they did get a bit hyped when he initially burst through and then he lost form, but that's hardly unusual or at all his fault given how much Rogers over-relied on him. Exact same thing has happened to Januzaj this season in a very similar position.

Well, Yaya Toure did say something about how he feels people don't hold him in high regard because of his skin color. Perhaps the same can be said for Sterling?

No actually Toure said it was because he was African, rather than black.

Toure's point (which might at heart have something to it) would have been more convincing if he hadn't based it on being less well-known than Messi and more criticised for his defending than Iniesta.

Anyway, if/when Norwich go down, where is Robert Snodgrass going? Not one of the European-challenging teams (though tbh he could do Spurs a few favours I reckon, better final product than either Lennon or Townsend) but the teams just below that and certainly in mid-table would easily benefit from what he offers.

I always enjoy it when a crowd gets so fed up with an opponent that they stop with clever songs and such and just launch into "Suarez, you're a cunt, Suarez Suarez you're a cunt". Clearly heard on national television on a Sunday lunchtime.

The nationally televised bit is the best. We were once heard loud and clear on ESPN singing the "Shit on those bastards below" song.

Archived