Episode Predictions (Book Spoilers)?

Question for everybody, so Samwell is at this battle, he thinks Gilly is dead, do you think he actually does something this episode? Maybe he will be with Aemon in a healing style capacity? Only way I think it can play out other than him just hiding at the top of the Wall and I'm guessing he gets chewed out by Jon at some point for being a coward and playing up there whole "You killed a white walker, you survived the fist, get a hold of yourself."

Question for everybody, so Samwell is at this battle, he thinks Gilly is dead, do you think he actually does something this episode? Maybe he will be with Aemon in a healing style capacity? Only way I think it can play out other than him just hiding at the top of the Wall and I'm guessing he gets chewed out by Jon at some point for being a coward and playing up there whole "You killed a white walker, you survived the fist, get a hold of yourself."

Ugh yes we're gonna have a lot of fatty coward time too :(.

John Bradley talked about Sam's arc this season and how at the start of the season he makes some poor decisions based on his own self loathing and fears (sending Gilly to Moletown) but that by the end, he'd have redeemed himself and that when all was said and done, it would be Sam's most triumphant season. Pretty sure he's going to find a way to save Gilly during this battle.

"Sam’s progression over the 10 hours of Season 4 is one of the most rapid, dramatic progressions we’ve ever seen because he starts in a relatively content place, makes some catastrophic decisions -- based on his own neurosis and his own self-loathing -- that plunges him back down to the lowest emotional point he’s been in the series. For Sam, that’s kinda saying something. From then on it’s a very, very slow, a very, very palpable upward progression, culminating in what will essentially be his finest hour."

John Bradley talked about Sam's arc this season and how at the start of the season he makes some poor decisions based on his own self loathing and fears (sending Gilly to Moletown) but that by the end, he'd have redeemed himself and that when all was said and done, it would be Sam's most triumphant season. Pretty sure he's going to find a way to save Gilly during this battle.

Agreed, and almost certainly with a crossbow.

^Unless he's referring to his electoral jiggering.

Even if that's it, I find it hard to believe he won't get a good moment during the battle since we've seen shots of him running around with a crossbow. The whole "upward progression" Bradley is referencing.

Will there be more instances where Sam gets to show his bravery again?

Absolutely, yeah. Sam is the best kind of bravery there is. He’s the best kind of hero because he doesn’t know he’s a hero. I was doing an interview the other day and the reporter pointed out the parallel between Samwell and Joffrey, that they’re both completely unaware of their blind spots. Joffrey’s unaware of the negative aspects of himself and Sam’s unaware of the positive aspects of himself. Sam is the last person to acknowledge that he’s any good at all because he’s been told all his life he’s no good and worth nothing. There’s so many places where he doesn’t have time to think, to convince himself not to do something. He has to act impulsively and that’s when you see the best of him. I think he’ll have plenty opportunity to flex those muscles this year.

The election really wouldn't need to take up much time. They could just show how it works with the kettle and arrowheads and whatnot without explaining it, just like they showed rather than told about the bread and salt in 309. It could be a few really short scenes with some of the comic relief of those chapters peppered in from Edd and co. Or it could be one medium length scene leading into Jon's last scene of the season. But I guess this is stuff that ought to be for the 410 page.

I do agree. He'll shoot a baddie with that crossbow. And maybe get a kiss from Gilly or something.

Archived