Scott Lynch II: Read The Lies of Locke Lamora and Win at Life!

Werthead

Re: Brady

Yeah, several people thought that about, you know, that person. :P

SPOILER: Lies! I tell you, they're lies!

As far as the Therin Throne goes, I am fairly certain that it's human and not Eldren. I can't find the quote, but I think it was said that the Therin Empire was established after humans found the Eldren city and artifacts.

I'm sorry, but I don't get the love for this book. I think it is very impressive for a debut novel and Mr. Lynch is a fine writer, but I found much of the book boring and predictable for the most part. My favorite parts were the interludes, the rest of the book, I had a difficult time staying interested and even awake when there was no dialogue and just description. The dialogue was snappy and appropriate for the gentleman bastards and other Right people, but it became dubious when Lamora was around nobles and they started talking the same way.

Also, maybe I've become jaded by authors like GRRM, but I kept expecting the GB to turn around and cut each others throats for the horde of gold, they just seemed too trusting of each other to be theives, even if they were "religious" theives. I'm sure that's a point of the story, they were like that because of Father Chains and how he raised them to be a family, but still it worked against my suspension of disbelief.

Interesting to see my reaction to Nazca wasn't uncommon.

SPOILER: The Grey King and Other Stuff

I kinda wished I'd just realised she was dead for good rather than looking for some grand conspiracy, because it would have been a nice shocker. Not on the level of Ned's death in AGOT, but still a nice little sign that Lynch means business. I guess I was trying to hard and outsmarted myself a bit there. Even after Jean fought the Grey King's sisters, I kept waiting for Nazca to pop out and reveal it was all her scheme, heh.

I found it interesting that Nicovante never actually appears on-page. I kept waiting for him to make an appearance at his big party at the end. I hope we get to meet him in person at some point, I'm intrigued to find out first hand about the guy who has such loyal servants like the Spider and Don Mazarella.

Oh, and any book that has a Tombstone reference gets extra points in my opinion.

Terra;

SPOILER: The Therin Throne

Yeah, I think your right, I did a quick reread of a few passages. The demise of the Eldren is still a mystery to most people, while the downfall of the Therin Throne seems very well known. I think what confused me was the Therin capital being known as the Jewell of the Eldren, even though i knew the human civilisations were happy to live amongst the Eldren ruins. The Therin Throne seems to be Locke's world's version of the Romans.

"One minor question that a keener eyed reader might be able to help me out with - was the Therin Throne a human empire, or Eldren? I wasn't quite sure. I thought Eldren at first, then changed my mind after the story of the empire's fall at the hands of the Bondsmagi. Does anyone know for sure?"

The Therin Throne was a human empire, and its fall was approximately four centuries before Locke's time. The Eldren have been gone for at least fifteen centuries. The Therin people arrived by sea from the south and east around then, and basically found that lands that had once been haunted by mysterious and hostile powers were suddenly free for the taking.

Drawckabi, sorry it just wasn't workin' for you... I can deal with that. Now, if that was a Dallas Cowboys helmet in your icon, I'd throw down. ;)

Ciao!

SL

Deaf people who sustain terrible hand injuries still learn to communicate with their arms/shoulders and mostly their eyes/head/facial expressions. I imagine that, given enough time, the bondsmagi could get most of the story.

There's also the old man in The Count of Monte Cristo who isn't able to do anything but blink whom is also able to communicate.

Did anyone else picture The Falconer body-popping the story of his torture to an assembled crowd of Bondsmagi? Apparently he does a mean 'Robot'.

Loved the book, pimping it far and wide.

Scott:

Query: Is there any projection (which I may have just missed) on the paperback printing...? I need to supplement my collection. And it's easier to hand out paperbacks than hardbacks. :P

The US mass-market paperback is scheduled for late June 2007 (according to Amazon.com).

The UK mass-market paperback seems to be scheduled for February 2007 (according to Amazon.co.uk).

Drawckabi, sorry it just wasn't workin' for you... I can deal with that. Now, if that was a Dallas Cowboys helmet in your icon, I'd throw down. ;)

Ciao!

SL

I'm glad my post wasn't a mortal wound. I thought long and hard before I made that post since I knew you were reading this thread. Like I said, I think you are a terrific writer and there were parts of the book I really liked, it was certainly better than a lot of books I've read, I just didn't know why everyone thought it was so great.

I thought maybe I should just keep my opnion to myself, and not spoil this love-fest, and maybe I should have. I'm an amateur writer and basically live for feedback and when one of my stories incites some great responses I'm on cloud 9. However I also find value in criticism when the reader takes the time to tell me exactly what they didn't like about the story.

Also, I'll still pick up your next novel, I saw enough potential in Lies to want to read what happens next.

All my best.

Oh, and the Dallas Cowboys must be destroyed.

Yeah, same ones, the Berangais (sp) sisters. That reminds me, another great line; "Wicked sisters, meet the Wicked Sisters."

Thanks for the reply Scott. I think I was reading a little too fast when I reached the Interlude dealing with the downfall of Therin. It spells out pretty clearly that it was a human empire but I tore through it, too eager to see what happened to Locke and Jean.

Where are the twin sisters as children, I wonder? I think I missed it, and would love to look at the relevant passage(s) again. By "the gang", are we talking Father Chain's gang, or Thiefmaker´s? I think I vaguely recall something from the latter group...

They're different girls. There were one or two girls in the gang and then there are the Berangias Twins. Remember, the twins were exiled along with their brother and then they came back a few years early to work up a reputation and become bodyguards for the Capa, while the girls in the gang have been entirely off-screen.

Archived