Non book readers are starting to loose interest in the show

Barbossa

Oh, and I also wanted to say: Complaining about the show & some things and losing interest are two VERY different things!

People (book readers and only show watchers) will always complain and lament loudly, but that doesn't mean they will stop watching ;-)

I also thing that due to the different knowledge of the viewer/readers (because overall readers are still one book ahead) the viewers just do have a different focus.

I have the feeling if you want to compare readers and watchers to groups in the book: Many readers are Nightswatch people now because they know that there is some serious stuff going on there by the end of ADWD, while viewers are more King's Landing people that asume it's not all that bad, it's a problem for the NW and still are more about the IT. ;)

:agree: Ah, well said, exactly my point and opinion!

I think it is becoming less popular among book readers.

Other than that, the show is on its peak at the moment. Oathkeeper has set a new Game of Thrones record and what I heard from Unsullied they are more than happy with the show right now.

I will continue watching the show because I find it very enjoyable (besides some fucked up scenes like Jaime's last week or Stannis in Season 3) since it is overall probably the best show on TV that is available right now.

Regarding those people who just watch the show for Khaleesi, The Imp and The badass girl and The Dog. They will stop watching the show as soon as their favorite characters develop/vanish. But the show is not aiming for these people; that was clearly shown in the last episode: Daenerys has made up her own justice now, which means that Meereen will end up in the catastrophy like it was in the books.

Do you think any of the Unsullied considered Jaime likeable after Season 1? Or did any of them ever think of themselves piyting Theon after what he had done at Winterfell? No, and see, people are now beginning to love/pity those characters because the show is able to translate the book material pretty well.

By the ratings that have increased for 4 Seasons now, I don't think that those super-casual viewers (Khaleesi, Imp, ..) will make a great difference because the 'normal'-Unsullied are hyping the show extremely at the moment and will do so for Season 5 even more so (after 4x08, 4x09 and 4x10 there is no other possibility than this).

And I do also agree that if Season 5 is handled well the ratings will keep on raising because the Unsullied will feel that something big is coming in Season 6 as the book readers know something big is coming in TWOW.

I do not hope the show fails nor do I think it should. I have actually recruited folks to watch. That said I the this year is a fall off from last year. The red wedding was handled well but the purple wedding was not nearly as good but for the great joffrey death. The Jaime-cersei scene on the casket was a poor attempt to quickly manage the changes in their complex relationship. The Ollena admission and the margaery-tommen writing has just been poor. This may not effect ratings much ever as HBO subscribers in some ways have to watch as little is on every week to make their monthly payment worth it.

I do think Jon Oliver has real potential though.

Last episode broke the series record. I'll just quote a bit from this blurb on WiC.net

The news broke a bit later than usual this Monday (hey, we cannot complain, we used to have to wait until Tuesday each week for some numbers most of the time), but boy is it a big one. Who else butHibberd from EW reveals some choice number nuggets, the crown of which is Game of Thrones all-time high reached by episode 404: 6.9 million viewers for the original showing! A nice step up from 6.59m last week. The repeat brought the total for the night to 8.4 million.

Hear Me Roar: Is there still anyone who does not think we are reaching 7 million soon?

My best advice for bookreaders, being a bookreader myself, is to watch the show as a separate show, not as something that is based on ASOIAF. There will still be moments where you might say not changing things from the books would have made the impact of the scene better, but you will largely ignore 99% of the changes, since they don't matter. Just think of them as two different things complimenting each other in different ways.

As for Unsullied losing interest... nope, no they aren't. The Unsullied actually compare this show to stuff like Breaking Bad and Mad Men, which I don't get at all. But Breaking Bad and Mad Men have held their audiences for so long, I don't think GOT will fail at doing that.

As for Unsullied losing interest... nope, no they aren't. The Unsullied actually compare this show to stuff like Breaking Bad and Mad Men, which I don't get at all. But Breaking Bad and Mad Men have held their audiences for so long, I don't think GOT will fail at doing that.

I still prefer Breaking Bad myself but you have to remember that all the many twists and turns of this show are mostly already spoiled for us because we have already read the books. Would Breaking Bad be as good to watch if you had already read everything that is going to happen?

Personally I find it rather patronising the way that non-book viewers who watch it for a few key characters are dismissed as not "proper" fans who would be no loss if they stopped watching. It is millions of fans like that that make the show possible and what they wish for might in many cases be "good" TV which should be preferable to book purity.

Focusing on a number of "key" characters might well be the best way for Game of Thrones to stand comparison with the best. This could be characters vital to the plot, or others like Jaime, who are just great when they are onscreen.

I have seen no slackening of interest and the only concern for the future is how long Dany is going to sit in Merreen. She needs to be there until the end of S4 in order to wait for Tyrion. If she spends S5 sat there as well that is a major mistake IMO. This is seven season show and if she still hasn't made a move by the end of 5 of those seasons then many viewers may lose interest.

Other than that, the show is on its peak at the moment. Oathkeeper has set a new Game of Thrones record and what I heard from Unsullied they are more than happy with the show right now.

I will continue watching the show because I find it very enjoyable (besides some fucked up scenes like Jaime's last week or Stannis in Season 3) since it is overall probably the best show on TV that is available right now.

Regarding those people who just watch the show for Khaleesi, The Imp and The badass girl and The Dog. They will stop watching the show as soon as their favorite characters develop/vanish. But the show is not aiming for these people; that was clearly shown in the last episode: Daenerys has made up her own justice now, which means that Meereen will end up in the catastrophy like it was in the books.

Do you think any of the Unsullied considered Jaime likeable after Season 1? Or did any of them ever think of themselves piyting Theon after what he had done at Winterfell? No, and see, people are now beginning to love/pity those characters because the show is able to translate the book material pretty well.

By the ratings that have increased for 4 Seasons now, I don't think that those super-casual viewers (Khaleesi, Imp, ..) will make a great difference because the 'normal'-Unsullied are hyping the show extremely at the moment and will do so for Season 5 even more so (after 4x08, 4x09 and 4x10 there is no other possibility than this).

And I do also agree that if Season 5 is handled well the ratings will keep on raising because the Unsullied will feel that something big is coming in Season 6 as the book readers know something big is coming in TWOW.

Couldn't agree more. Especially after the last episodes this season (Ep. 8, 9 and 10 will certainly have the highest ratings in the show's history) the show watcher will many things to disgest and I guess the expectations / joy / hype / promotion for season 5 will be even bigger than it was for this year.

Nope. This year has seen a massive boost in interest in the show.

It will probably lose some by the end, but that is only natural, and a long way off.

I think, GoT will be one (of the few?) show(s) which won't lose watchers by the end. Other shows get exploited (don't know if that's the fitting English word) to the bitter end, there's always one season more and one more and more... but the people know that won't happen with GoT, 'cause ASOIAF will have an end.

Actually, all of the non-book readers I know are more interested in the show than ever. No one is 'losing' their interest, especially given that the ratings keep going up.

Personally I find it rather patronising the way that non-book viewers who watch it for a few key characters are dismissed as not "proper" fans who would be no loss if they stopped watching. It is millions of fans like that that make the show possible and what they wish for might in many cases be "good" TV which should be preferable to book purity.

Focusing on a number of "key" characters might well be the best way for Game of Thrones to stand comparison with the best. This could be characters vital to the plot, or others like Jaime, who are just great when they are onscreen.

I have seen no slackening of interest and the only concern for the future is how long Dany is going to sit in Merreen. She needs to be there until the end of S4 in order to wait for Tyrion. If she spends S5 sat there as well that is a major mistake IMO. This is seven season show and if she still hasn't made a move by the end of 5 of those seasons then many viewers may lose interest.

Okay, you're right. Saying they wouldn't be a loss sounds really a bit patronising, that wasn't my intention. And you're also right with "It is millions of fans like that that make the show possible...".

And focusing on special characters is something nothing and nobody can avoid. Just as readers as watchers, I guess, do this while reading/watching, because we all have our favourites. And of course the show is focusing heavily on "key" characters.

That's also a reason why I think Dany SHOULD sit in Meereen the whole season 5. Why shouldn't the watchers get what we had?

"This is seven season show and if she still hasn't made a move by the end of 5 of those seasons then many viewers may lose interest.", yes, and ASOIAF is a seven books series and because she still hasn't made a move by the end of 5 of those books many reader lost interest in her.

Why should this be different on the show? That was the development of her arc!

Other characters in contrast have won the interest and love of readers with their storylines and actions in AFFC and ADWD, why don't use this for the show and change the focus?

As producer:

- You can focus on main characters who doesn't do much in the future and try to spice their arcs, or risk dwindling interest.

or

- You can focus on other main characters who REALLY do something, without the need of adding stuff and focussing others less.

So imo, Dany should stay in Meereen the whole season 5, but have less screentime. That would be better than rushing through the story and since I think the Battle of Fire will happen in 5.09 (they need a "ninth episode-worthy event"), she will do this.

To all the people saying that Breaking Bad was a better show than Game of Thrones is, I find Game of Thrones a lot more rewatchable :)

I knew the plots of both Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones before hand (BB because I'm impatient, and GoT, due to the books, for which too, I was spoiled). The plot twists in Breaking Bad, while well set up and brilliant in their own right, seem really minor compared to that of Game of Thrones. Game of Thrones has twists and climaxes which are huge and are extremely hard to direct on TV. I think the RW, Blackwater and Astapor/Meereen have all been much more impressive for me than anything Breaking Bad did, and left me thinking about them long after they were over.

I'm not a book reader but I have been reading a lot of info on here to fully understand what is going on. I got a little obsessed after the Red Wedding and found this forum which only furthered my obsession. I'm loving this season so far. I was worried after I found this forum and read a lot of the spoilers that I would be let down by knowing a lot of the plot lines for this season but D&D have managed to keep everybody guessing to some degree. I plan on reading the books but I want to wait until after the series has ended, that way I'm not let down like I have been with many Hollywood adaptations from great books.

I get where you guys are coming from,but the ratings prolly speak more towards the overall popularity of the show, not just amongst unsullied. I've had quiet a few co workers who will tell me an episode is complete garbage if it doesn't include A) "Khaleesi and her dragons" B) A huge battle C) Some level of badassery from a main character.

Archived