Small questions v.10080

Angalin

Is there any recorded antagonism between the Targaryens and Braavos after the Doom or after the Conquest until the death of the dragons?

Not that I recall. In tPatQ, the Iron Throne makes use of the Iron Bank of Braavos (showing some connection without problems) and pre-conquest I seem to recall they assisted Braavos in defeating the Volantins

Does anyone know where the discussion on controversial character vs. controversial chapter for Sansa's Winds chapter was discussed? Or even better, whether a real conclusion was reached?

*bump*

I found this. The theory is not on the thread, but linked on the thread. I haven't read it yet, so I'm not sure if any conclusion was reached.

Is it known if there is a connection between Mirri and Maggy the Frog? I thought perhaps she was a younger sister of Maggy's, or an aunt to Sybelle Spicer.

Mirri is a Lhazarene woman. Maggy was a "witch" in Lannisport. Qyburn seems to think her name wasn't Maggy, it was just a mispronunciation of Maegi (i.e. witch, sorceress). There is nothing to imply a connection

I found this. The theory is not on the thread, but linked on the thread. I haven't read it yet, so I'm not sure if any conclusion was reached.

Yes I saw that. It wasnt what I meant though. A while back I seem to remember people.claiming Ran (or someone else maybe) had said controversial CHARACTER rather than chapter in an interview. Unfortunately, I think it was a translation and.not a particularly good one at that. I didnt follow the thread though and can no longer find it

Is it known if there is a connection between Mirri and Maggy the Frog? I thought perhaps she was a younger sister of Maggy's, or an aunt to Sybelle Spicer.

Mirri Maz Duur was a Lhazareen, For Maggy, no origines are known. It might be possible, but I doubt that the two maegi are related.

Mirri was about 40 years old in 298AC, whilst Jeyne Westerling, Maggy's great-granddaughter, was about 14/15. With abot 20 years per generation, that would have made Maggy 75 years old had she lived until then. So if they are related, it seems most likely that Maggy was the sister of Mirri's mother or grandmother. A lot further away related thus.

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Sybell_Spicer

The Above link says Sybell Spicer was the grand daughter of Maggy the Frog. I don't seem to recollect the connection made in the books. Can someone tell me which chapter was this connection explained???

Chapter 19 in Storm, Tyrion III:

Lady Sybell’s grandfather was a trader in saffron and pepper, almost as lowborn as that smuggler Stannis keeps. And the grandmother was some woman he’d brought back from the east. A frightening old crone, supposed to be a priestess. Maegi, they called her. No one could pronounce her real name. Half of Lannisport used to go to her for cures and love potions and the like.” He shrugged. “She’s long dead, to be sure. And Jeyne seemed a sweet child, I’ll grant you, though I only saw her once. But with such doubtful blood...”

Yes I saw that. It wasnt what I meant though. A while back I seem to remember people.claiming Ran (or someone else maybe) had said controversial CHARACTER rather than chapter in an interview. Unfortunately, I think it was a translation and.not a particularly good one at that. I didnt follow the thread though and can no longer find it

This was the only one I could remember having seen, unfortunately. :(

Then why would the Iron Bank and Braavos not like to ally with Dany? She caused a major disruption in the slave trade. I know that there is a propoganda that Dany is a breaker of deals (and I know that there is some truth in it) but other than that, I can see no obstacle to an alliance between Dany and Braavos. That propoganda is only a matter in the negotiation and with a skilled negotiator like Tyrion, Dany might get the full support of Braavos.

The interview was with Vulture where it stated that TWoW includes a Sansa chapter that is sure to be controversial. Ran mentions in this thread that what he said was that the chapter might be considered controversial in some quarters of the fandom.

Then why would the Iron Bank and Braavos not like to ally with Dany? She caused a major disruption in the slave trade. I know that there is a propoganda that Dany is a breaker of deals (and I know that there is some truth in it) but other than that, I can see no obstacle to an alliance between Dany and Braavos. That propoganda is only a matter in the negotiation and with a skilled negotiator like Tyrion, Dany might get the full support of Braavos.

Where in the books is it said that the Iron Bank would not ally with Dany?

Mirri was a maegi; that's the connection I was aware of, I thought maybe someone had caught something I missed. Incidentally, I thought it interesting that Maggy told Cersei about a queen that would take all she holds dear and her granddaughter became a rival queen; younger, perhaps more beautiful, living during the queen's lifetime, and, still alive. Hmmm...

Anyone know where the "Wow, I never noticed that" thread went?

There is a common belief in the forum that Braavos hates dragons and an alliance with Dany is unthinkable.

There is some ill feeling towards literal dragons (see Tycho Nestoris' comments) based on the Braavosi origins as escaped Valyrian slaves, but as they Targaryens allied with the pre-Conquest to fight Volantis, the Braavosi clearly.have no particular problem allying with Targaryens, even when they have actual dragons. Don't know why people say they wouldn't ally with Dany, I presume because the Iron Bank is already backing Stannis? Not sure though.

Archived