am I the only one fearing that this series will end in a Targaryen revival?

Throck

My crackpot is that one of the Baratheon bastards will sit the throne (Gendry or Edric), if the throne exists at the end, it will also be poetic to Roberts will Ned wrote and Cersei tore speaking of the rightful heir. I am also doubtful of any of the Targaryen POV characters i.e. (Jon/Dany) will be on the IT at the end and I am also doubtful Aegon will survive.

A Targ restoration does seem to be in the works. Already we have one real Targ, another who is 99% real, and yet another who at least claims to be one and whose claim is difficult to disprove to the smallfolk and general public.

And all three of these are in a state of power. I doubt all three of them will die by the end.

At least one will survive and continue the Targ line, either as House Targ only in name but full of Blackfyre descendants (Aegon), or a genuine line in some other name (Jon), or a line of true Targs in both name and blood.

I've always felt that GRRM has had a soft spot for the Targs, with his constant expanding of lore regarding the old Targ kings.

Just like the Starks, I think House Targ will be reborn by the end.

With some changes though. Maybe they won't be the reigning House of Westeros, maybe they won't be another line of dragonriders, and hopefully they'll quit with the incest.

To me it depends if you mean restoration as in New Targ Dynasty or restoration as in idk something like Dorne they can still call themselves royalty but are equal to an LP. I highly doubt that the 1st scenario is possible. The 2nd though...that can work in both a United Westeros or as 7 actual kingdoms.

I think that as rulers they are most suited to enforce this new and exciting way of ruling. Together they could do good for the Realm.

I suppose, I just don't think we'll have an IT and also the whole system will be drastically changed because of the snowpocalypse. IMHO.

I don't think I'll be satisfied unless at the end of ADOS the monarchy is dismantled altogether, either going back to the 7 kingdoms or to some other form of government. As long as the Iron Throne is supposed to rule the entire continent, Westeros will stay trapped in a cycle or war and oppression. I think the hard lessons Dany is learning in Slaver's Bay might help her realize that when she finally gets to Westeros.

If there's a Targ revival, what then? They dynasty continues on for a few more generations until the inevitable happens? It feels like the Wot5K has already transformed the realm quite a bit and the concept of the Iron Throne is a lot less favorable amongst even highborn Westerosi than it was before.

the entire story is about the targaryen restoration. The men who brought down the dynasty are either all dead or in the process of atonement. the restoration may not end explicitly with a targaryen on the iron throne because I'm of the belief the iron throne will not exist at the end of the story but the political circumstances of westeros will again be reshaped by the reemergence of dragons and targaryans, just as they were centuries ago.

GRRM has made it clear the series wont have it a happy ending but rather a bitter sweet ending where not everything will be well.. well.

Men and Women will make mistakes and too many people would die. In my opinion some namesake Targ might get the throne eventually because no one else would want to claim it. Even if a Targ gets the throne I dont think it will be the revival of the Targs as such.

In LOTR world I would imagine it would be something like Argon leads a massive army against strong oponenet where he and almost everyone dies. The surivors wonder who should get the throne and it is eventually given to a young kid just because he happened to be a distant relative of Aragon.

I consider the restoration of the Targs to be a given. Daeron the Drunkard dreamed that the dragons would return. In every other dragon dream of Daeron's the dragons stood for the Targaryens. Thus, when Daeron dreamed of the return of dragons, he saw the Targaryens being restored to the throne. Which Targaryen is really the only question for me.

ETA: And I don't fear it.

I consider the restoration of the Targs to be a given. Daeron the Drunkard dreamed that the dragons would return. In every other dragon dream of Daeron's the dragons stood for the Targaryens. Thus, when Daeron dreamed of the return of dragons, he saw the Targaryens being restored to the throne. Which Targaryen is really the only question for me.

ETA: And I don't fear it.

Lets see history of westeros

1. CotF all over Westeros

2. First Men come. Centuries of War. CotF finally make a pact with FM giving up all of westeros except hills and forests

3. Long Night. FM, CotF fight together.

4. Andals come. Subjugate FM. Burn Weirwoods. Six Kingdoms. CotF flee North. Gradually they go North of the Wall. North still ruled by Starks (FM).

5. Aegon comes with dragons. Andals and FM lose their kingships. New Dynasty.

So with every new invasion ruling dynasty loses power never to return to original state. So going by that NO TARG REVIVAL.

Archived