am I the only one fearing that this series will end in a Targaryen revival?

Throck

Robert, Stannis, Renly, Joffery, and Tommen were all declared kings who use the Baratheon name and all of them are horrible kings even Tommen who is a puppet for the crazy, evil Lannisters.

Renly didn't have time to be a horrible King. Stannis has yet to become a horrible King (or at least, few know him well enough to claim he is), and by now plenty of people know or are aware of the rumors that Joffrey and Tommen were/are bastards. So...the memory of a young and handsome warrior King Robert might yet play a part from smallfolk perspective and for those lords and ladies that didn't witness his decline first hand (Ned was surprised after all, and he the King's own chosen brother...). Robert wasn't a good king, but since he didn't rule the realm himself I doubt anyone really noticed, besides those that lived at court. His greatest faults really were drinking, whoring and bankrupting the crown... but since Jon Arryn did the ruling, and someone always managed to magic gold out of thin air -- who knows what the greater part of Robert's subjects thought about him?

I think the Targaryen dynasty will be restored, and yes, their dragons will be included. However, I think it would be a rebirth for the Targaryen dynasty with Jon as king, who is as much Stark as Targaryen. I think he will bring some much needed reforms to his house and the realm such as banning the incestuous marriages. It would be comparable to if Baelor Breakspear became king.

Actually evidence says otherwise. What is the point of Jon's secret royal heritage if it isn't going to be put into use?

I subscribe to that fire eater but what do you make of this? http://comeonhitme.wordpress.com/2013/07/31/game-of-thrones-jon-snow-will-lead-the-army-of-white-walkers-against-daenerys-targaryen-and-her-dragons/

House Targaryen will sit on the Iron Throne in the end. A member of House Targaryen or as most people believe a joint rule of House Targaryen and House Stark in the form of King Jon Snow (Stargaryen/targstark)

The fire blood was suffering from being.... on fire. Insanity was their brains aflame. The synthesis with Ice is like Jon coming along and hosing down that fire so the Targaryen regime can stabilize and be good to go from here on out. (That's why Daenerys' barren-ness is a good thing. She'd put potential crazies back on the IT. Only after passing through the filter of Jon's chilled DNA can her offspring be trustable to carry on a sane dynasty into the future. So.... don't fear that. Fear an epilogue that skips a hundred years ahead to the next king with Viscerys' temperament who just continues the game of thrones like business as usual because the throne failed to learn from all of this. The way to interrupt that war cycle is to clamp down on the divisions in the kingdom by fusing them together under a king whom all can rally behind, north and south.

I think he will bring some much needed reforms to his house and the realm such as banning the incestuous marriages. It would be comparable to if Baelor Breakspear became king.

Actually evidence says otherwise. What is the point of Jon's secret royal heritage if it isn't going to be put into use?

Not that I want it to be answered this way, but his heritage could be just for us, to let us see how a real kingly man acts---as the best of us. (Compared to all the fools who actually crowned themselves and then didn't act like kings). I'm hoping he gets tripped and lands sitting on the throne sort of because it's obvious to everyone that he belongs there, so they move the throne to where it'll be underneath him when he sits down. For the situation to be that bad that people would do this, though, means that there'll be plenty of reason for him to be unhappy too. Some of the reasons he's unhappy will create a groundswell of support for him to be king, so he'll be trading his happy ending away for a chair that's a conversation piece more than a recliner.

I think the Starks win the whole thing, whether they want the throne I don't know but they'll be the deciding factor. A Targ restoration would be the worst possible thing so it may happen. Half the Kingdom is done with the Targs, they aren't about to rally them back to the throne. They make prolifically unstable rulers meaning if they end with the Targs on the throne, you can guarantee that in a generation or two they'll be in crisis again. Their foreign mystique has gone in Westeros and their WMDs may be gone for good at the end of the series.

Tragic? I'm sure Robert partied with the appropriate magnitude after heroically getting rid of the Targs. Jumped up, backwater valyrians, incestous, arrogant, usurpers of the old Kings, often murderous and frequently insane!

Supporting Aery's line is like supporting Joffrey spawn.

Why shoupd.the Targaryens be considered usurpers? The First Men and the Andals.are just as bad. At least the Targaryens adopted local customs and didnt force others to adopt theirs; e.g. didnt ask lords and.ladies to wed brother to.sister, didnt enforce a new.religion etc. Hating Targaryens for conquering the Kingdoms is illogocal if you dont condemn the Andals amd the First Men too

The fire blood was suffering from being.... on fire. Insanity was their brains aflame. The synthesis with Ice is like Jon coming along and hosing down that fire so the Targaryen regime can stabilize and be good to go from here on out. (That's why Daenerys' barren-ness is a good thing. She'd put potential crazies back on the IT. Only after passing through the filter of Jon's chilled DNA can her offspring be trustable to carry on a sane dynasty into the future. So.... don't fear that. Fear an epilogue that skips a hundred years ahead to the next king with Viscerys' temperament who just continues the game of thrones like business as usual because the throne failed to learn from all of this. The way to interrupt that war cycle is to clamp down on the divisions in the kingdom by fusing them together under a king whom all can rally behind, north and south.

Not that I want it to be answered this way, but his heritage could be just for us, to let us see how a real kingly man acts---as the best of us. (Compared to all the fools who actually crowned themselves and then didn't act like kings). I'm hoping he gets tripped and lands sitting on the throne sort of because it's obvious to everyone that he belongs there, so they move the throne to where it'll be underneath him when he sits down. For the situation to be that bad that people would do this, though, means that there'll be plenty of reason for him to be unhappy too. Some of the reasons he's unhappy will create a groundswell of support for him to be king, so he'll be trading his happy ending away for a chair that's a conversation piece more than a recliner.

The way I see it the targaryen madness is nothing but bullsh** so the answer you bothered making seems like useless. Targaryens had a few mad members here and there usually caused by bad childhoods but who knows? which family doesn't have mad members if you actually bothered tracing up their lines.

The way I see it Dany has been acting stupid but she is learning. Come winds or a dream of spring she will be what she needs to be. A good ruler. There is no such thing as Targ madness.

Also if you believe there is something as Targ madness then tracing is back the original 'madness' thing would be Valyrian madness. We never had mad valyrians but that can be argued as we never learned much about. We're told the valyrians built an empire (freehold to be precise) over thousands of years. Surely their council must be full of madmen? no it wasn't.

They built the most prosperous empire in the world. The Roman empire of the ASOIAF world. There was no madness. They called Daenys the dreamer mad but she prophesied their end. After thousands and thousands of years of inbreeding when it finally came down to the targaryen who mattered being Aegon the conqueror who decided to do the entirely other thing by conquering westeros why weren't his current family members mad? his father, uncles etc??

Simply put the very foundation of Targaryen madness is Valyrian madness and no such thing exists. Just a load of bullsh**. It may have been put in GRRM to create doubts if Targaryens were worthy of ruling.

If they never came and as most targ madness subscribers say the targs were a plague to westeros, then all 7 kingdoms would still be fighting until they doomed themselves.

Valyrian rule in the form of targaryens was a beacon of hope. It was, still is and will always be when Jon, Dany or Aegon (real or fake) sits on the iron throne in the very end uniting the realm after dealing the threat of the others (unless GRRM sticks with the idea of having balls and letting the others win).

I predict a Targaryen restoration at the end of the series. I am not totally convinced about the dragons however, since GRRM might decide to kill all the magic in his world (dragons, WW, etc.). That would be pretty bittersweet.

It's either going to be Jon and Daenerys together or Dany alone ruling untill her son/daughter of Jon is ready to succeed her.

Of course it won't be a spiritual Targaryen restoration. That age is long gone. Whether it's Dany alone or Jon and Dany (which I believe the most likely) together, their rule will be vastly different from that of most prior Targaryens. It will probably be more akin to the court of Daeron the Good (minus BF trouble) and Jaeherys the Concilliator. Lot's of room for song and dance and influx of different people from all over the Seven Kingdoms and even beyond.

There is no such thing as Targ madness.

That's an interesting take and I refuse to argue over it. The Targ family in westeros spent lots of time as an isolated bloodline---back in Valyria they would have had many more families they'd have considered worthy of intermarrying with, which is why their fire-brain problems really presented themselves fully only later on during their stay in Westeros. If you don't buy into that, fine. Aerys may be largely vindicated for how he acted "insane" once the full story comes out and we see that he was acting to protect his dynasty from overly aggressive Starks & Baratheons who were already reaching for kingly powers before they officially came for the throne. We'll see. (We also might see Daenerys go nuts right before our eyes).

That's an interesting take and I refuse to argue over it. The Targ family in westeros spent lots of time as an isolated bloodline---back in Valyria they would have had many more families they'd have considered worthy of intermarrying with, which is why their fire-brain problems really presented themselves fully only later on during their stay in Westeros. If you don't buy into that, fine. Aerys may be largely vindicated for how he acted "insane" once the full story comes out and we see that he was acting to protect his dynasty from overly aggressive Starks & Baratheons who were already reaching for kingly powers before they officially came for the throne. We'll see. (We also might see Daenerys go nuts right before our eyes).

I agree. no point in arguing it but to further elaborate all the other 40 Valyrian families also were committed to incest. It makes no difference if they interbreed. Either way the argument would end up being 1 madman from house A marries a mad woman from house B. if they were mad then all valyrians were mad yet no effects were made. If they were mad Valyria wouldn't have the reputation it has as the greatest civilization. Therefore there never really was any madness.

What really intrigues me is our human civilation in the real world. Out of the trillions there is only an extremely small chance that we were going to be born and our sperm would be the victor yet here we are. Given that we can trace our lineages thousands of years back. I'm sure we too would find many mad ancestors.

I think the Targaryen dynasty will be restored, and yes, their dragons will be included. However, I think it would be a rebirth for the Targaryen dynasty with Jon as king, who is as much Stark as Targaryen. I think he will bring some much needed reforms to his house and the realm such as banning the incestuous marriages. It would be comparable to if Baelor Breakspear became king.

Ever read the Discworld novels? Captain Carrot seems to think that the best thing a King can do is get on with a good days work.

Why shoupd.the Targaryens be considered usurpers? The First Men and the Andals.are just as bad. At least the Targaryens adopted local customs and didnt force others to adopt theirs; e.g. didnt ask lords and.ladies to wed brother to.sister, didnt enforce a new.religion etc. Hating Targaryens for conquering the Kingdoms is illogocal if you dont condemn the Andals amd the First Men too

The first men who coexisted with Children and Giants after the pact and who converted to the Children's religion?

Targs used the faith politically. They did what they wanted even if it was against the religion like incest. Their conversion was a front

Ever read the Discworld novels? Captain Carrot seems to think that the best thing a King can do is get on with a good days work.

Jon would have his work cut out for him with a realm ruined by war with the Wo5K, the second Dance of Dragons and an Other invasion in the North, not one place would be untouched by war. Add to that that winter has come, and times will be very hard. Jon also has a huge royal debt to deal with. It will take years, possibly even a few decades, to rebuild the realm and pay off the royal debts.

Think Jon falling asleep over his work again, but more often.

Jon and Dany will get married, and have a son. Then they will both die and Margaery will marry the infant and rule as queen regent. Her husbands do keep getting younger.

50 year old Margery married to a 5 year old Rickard Targaryen? That would be too funny!

50 year old Margery married to a 5 year old Rickard Targaryen? That would be too funny!

Margaery's favorite hobby is marrying kings and she will do so until she dies of old age. Still she would only have been queen for like 24h in total.

Archived