[Book Spoilers] The Duel

The latest "Inside the Episode" is now up on YouTube and in it Benioff appears to confirm that the spear was poisoned.

I don't think they'd put in a short shot of the spear being rubbed down with a cloth for zero reason whatsoever. This is just a case of people making assumptions before they're entirely explained.

The latest "Inside the Episode" is now up on YouTube and in it Benioff appears to confirm that the spear was poisoned.

just saw the "inside the episode"...didnt mention anything about the poison...could you send the link you saw this in? I figured it would be a bit of a spoiler...

my unsullied friends who were thinking Oberyn would use poison since his name is Viper after all, none are thinking about poison now...toooooo shocked by his death

just saw the "inside the episode"...didnt mention anything about the poison...could you send the link you saw this in? I figured it would be a bit of a spoiler...

my unsullied friends who were thinking Oberyn would use poison since his name is Viper after all, none are thinking about poison now...toooooo shocked by his death

Benoiff pretty clearly says it so you just need to watch it again. It's not exactly rocket science to put in a single line about how the Mountain is slowly dying next week and was likely poisoned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB3vgeMijCc

It starts about 8:50.

"[A]ny other man in this position -- he's down on his back, he's been speared through the gut, he's poisoned..."

thanks, he just sort of slipped it in there...didnt notice the first time...

Benoiff pretty clearly says it so you just need to watch it again. It's not exactly rocket science to put in a single line about how the Mountain is slowly dying next week and was likely poisoned.

sorry missed it the first time

In hindsight, one thing severily bothers me about the fight.

Oberyn stabbed him through the gut, it's safe to say he hit the spine. How in seven hells did Gregor manage to so easily turn over and mount Oberyn?

two words....HULK....SMASH!!! :tantrum:

joking aside though, while yes the spear tip did go through the gut, not necessarily hit the spine...could have been off one side of the spine...the way he swings him on top requires immense deltoid and chest strength, safe to say he's got that even when he's flat on his back...you dont bench 500lbs without immense chest and shoulders...

after knocking teeth out, he just rolled on top and pushed himself up using push-up motion...and pressed down on the skull...

agreed might not be possible for regular men...but this is the character who chopped off a horses head with one swing...

In hindsight, one thing severily bothers me about the fight.

Oberyn stabbed him through the gut, it's safe to say he hit the spine. How in seven hells did Gregor manage to so easily turn over and mount Oberyn?

There's no reason to state conclusively that Gregor was stabbed through the spine given the angles we have.

Agreed. Also, I don't think it was gore for the sake of gore like we see in horror films...this was a character we cared about fighting on behalf of another character we care about.

Admittedly, I was queasy afterwards and would never wish to watch that scene again, but I don't think it was done in bad taste or anything like that. And it will be the start of a massive change in the entire story, so I'm fine with it.

Fully agree. I don't ever want to watch that scene again, but not because I didn't like it, but because I know I'm too squeamish and would probably throw up if I did.

two words....HULK....SMASH!!! :tantrum:

joking aside though, while yes the spear tip did go through the gut, not necessarily hit the spine...could have been off one side of the spine...the way he swings him on top requires immense deltoid and chest strength, safe to say he's got that even when he's flat on his back...you dont bench 500lbs without immense chest and shoulders...

after knocking teeth out, he just rolled on top and pushed himself up using push-up motion...and pressed down on the skull...

agreed might not be possible for regular men...but this is the character who chopped off a horses head with one swing...

Agreed. Probably missed the spine. It's even possible to spear somebody through the gut and miss all vital organs (although major blood vessels are also a concern here). As for why he managed to get up that quickly to finish Oberyn... adrenaline?

Oberyn knew exactly what he was getting into, his confidence doesn't change that. That's why he poisoned the spear. In case he didn't win the fight, and it's obviously a good back up.

I agree. Plus, how likely was it that he would end up being brutally killed by Gregor's fists as opposed to his Greatsword? The way Oberyn went was certainly a worst case scenario (in terms of pain). The fact that he thickened the poison proves that he had the backup plan. Thickening poison would have no purpose if Gregor died in the duel. In no way am I saying he expected to die, but if he was 100% confident he would get out of the fight alive then why even bother with it?

He did say it very clearly.

My sense is that surviving was or at least became a secondary motive to him. This was an exorcism and seance as much as a fight, for him.

He's never going to get the chance to lay the blame where he feels it rests again. This is a one time opportunity. The Mountain dying would only satisfy a small part of what he wants out of this. If it was just winning or killing, poison could get that done with a lot less risk. He wants a lot more than a win, and barring the Mountain's superhumanity, he likely gets it at that point without too much risk. Spear through the cardio-vascular system is usually a pretty powerful sedative.

I 100% agree with everything you said here. I don't get when people attribute Oberyn's defeat to stupidity. If he simply wanted to win the duel he could've done so. He wanted more than that.

I was kind of underwhelming to be honest. I thought there were too many cuts, too much twirling and jumping, I didn't like the eye-gouging and think they should have stuck with the face crushing punch and the gore was kind of ridiculous.

And I think they should have done more to build up towards the fight earlier in the episode.

I'm not sure whether it was the acting or choreography, but the Mountain looked more like a clumsy oaf than a seasoned fighter. I particularly liked when he disarmed his opponent and knocked him down, then tried to finish him off by... scraping his sword across the ground like a moron? Perhaps he saw a few of those pesky beetles?

I was initially turned off by Pascal's overly jovial attitude toward the encounter, but when he screamed "You raped her!" I got chills. Damn, that guy was awesome.

As usual, the whole sequence felt a little bit rushed. It's one thing for D&D to make sure nothing interesting happens until the very end of an episode, but I don't understand why they don't at least try to extend the lone interesting scene. Curious...

I'm too traumatized to re-watch the fight scene for a better analysis, so correct me if I'm wrong, but my initial thoughts are as follows:

Swinging a two-handed sword with one hand might work in the books, but on screen it just looks clumsy. You don't use a sword like that in real life. No stabbing or holding the blade, just wild slow swings.

Also, too much twirling

With that said: Wow. But the screams. Oh god the screams.

I was initially turned off by Pascal's overly jovial attitude toward the encounter, but when he screamed "You raped her!" I got chills. Damn, that guy was awesome.

Agree, I was like "stop smiling! the man raped your sister." But in the end... Oh my.

Archived