Human Chess Match, WorldCon 06

Did you guys have something special brought in for the board or did you use the hotel's portable dance floor? Because if that's dance floor it's the ugliest shade of DANCE floor I've ever seen...as a chess board, it's kinda cool.

Did you guys have something special brought in for the board or did you use the hotel's portable dance floor? Because if that's dance floor it's the ugliest shade of DANCE floor I've ever seen...as a chess board, it's kinda cool.

It looks like the interlocking squares that you see in children's day care...

What happened to Davos' costume and chain? Who filled the vacant Highgarden pawn spot? What piece was Zollo playing and who was he replacing?

[edit: Oh... Davos must have taken off his bathrobe... Was Zollo a castle/rook (originally intended to be Lothor Apple Eater)?]

It looks like the interlocking squares that you see in children's day care...

What happened to Davos' costume and chain? Who filled the vacant Highgarden pawn spot? What piece was Zollo playing and who was he replacing?

[edit: Oh... Davos must have taken off his bathrobe... Was Zollo a castle/rook (originally intended to be Lothor Apple Eater)?]

This Highgarden link doesn't work when I click on it...

link fixed

yes, it was warm in there so as soon as Davos was killed, he stripped :P

some random guy who came to watch was gracious enough to fill the spot

Zollo was a rook or castle (I'm not sure who he was replacing

Z replaced Lothor Apple Eater. I guess he was MIA for the whole con, or something. ;)

We were missing one Highgarden pawn, but as others mentioned, the Sand Snakes convinced him to participate.

I would also like to thank everyone for busting their arses that day, and I'm so sorry I wasn't at the match to help pull it off!!!

:kiss: to all the participants, volunteers, etc.

And of course to Linda for her excellent seamstress work on Ran, and herself. :)

Given that you are the one who persuaded Ran to be the Red Viper for a day (even if he generally looks too cuddly), you're the reason the two of us were in it, Mya. :) That's the one role that could get me to break the sewing machine out. ;)

I've learned that I'll do anything, including sew (which I hated the mere thought of until the weekend before the con), to get Ran into some interesting outfits. I'll take robes over jeans on a guy any day. ;)

Or a nice Regency-style oufit. Darn, but there were some niiiiicely dressed guys at the Regency Dancing 'panel'. Fortunately, they came a bit late to the gathering, or I suspect Ran would not have left me alone there for an hour and a half, since he knows what a sucker I am for that. ;)

link fixed

some random guy who came to watch was gracious enough to fill the spot

Balefont -

The Highgarden photo link still doesn't work for me... :( [edit: How embarrassing! I was clicking on the wrong link, apparently.]

Thank you very much for all of the wonderful photos! :D

Anyone -

Is that guy who filled the vacant Highgarden pawn spot in the photos? Was he in costume?

Balefont -

The Highgarden photo link still doesn't work for me... :( Thank you very much for all of the wonderful photos! :D

Anyone -

Is that guy who filled the vacant Highgarden pawn spot in the photos? Was he in costume?

His name was Sam. He had a Green tunic like most of the Highgarden Pawns. He also had a Fat Pink Mast. ;)

Oh and the link in Bale's post works... not the one you quoted though Esgred.

Is it possible to get some really, really big posters of Zollo's participation in the Chess Match?

I ask because a few months ago, he explained to my (non-ASoIaF-reading) wife that, yes, he was going to an SF-con, but no, he would certainly not participate in the Human Chess Match. He admitted to be a geek, but not that much of a geek.

That was right before he started to tell her about his bird-watching hobby.

Yes, Ran did indeed look amazing. The chess match was great. So much better than I expected it would be. We do have pics of zollo being there Ent. Possibly blowup-able ;)

I thought Stego was *so* hawt in his dress :drool:

Archived